Carry gun evolutions? - Page 4

Carry gun evolutions?

This is a discussion on Carry gun evolutions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have gone and edited my entry at #24....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun evolutions?

I have gone and edited my entry at #24.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    Some of my early carry guns have been a S&W Highly Tuned BodyGuard - STAR PD .45 - Ruger Police Service Six Snub - Detonics .45 - Light Weight Colt Commander ~ Standard Colt Government ~ Short Barrel Ruger Security 6 ~ A Custom Chopped 1911 ~ SIG/Browning BDA .45
    oh heck...a few more than that probably.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    1990-1995: S&W 66 2 inch .357 (before shall issue, permit was a CWP-concealed weapon permit & weapon had to be listed on permit)

1995-1996: S&W 4516 .45acp (shall issue started 1995, permit changed to handguns only, gun info. NO longer listed on permit

1996-2003: Glock23, Sig239 , 1911s

2003- : Glock23, 1911s (Commander & full size .45acp) , rarely NAA Guardian

(my wife has relieved me of the the Sig239, another G23 & the NAA Guardian, which she thinks is cute)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Hm.

Only started carrying in Jan 04.

Started with either a 5" SW1911 or a P22. ;) (seriously)

Then picked up a colt pony pocketlite for the summer

Then found an old S&W M60 in .38spl

Then bought a P239 in 9mm, carried that for a bit.

Sold it for a Colt Defender, still carry that.

later I sold the M60 for a M38 Bodyguard, and that rides in the front pocket sometimes, but the Defender is the primary. :)

CZ 75 B

then Springfield 1911 A1

now my Sig P225.

I don't forsee a change in the future.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Started carrying in 1983 with a S&W Mod 10 4" (issued) till I decided to pick up a Mod 19 4". Then started carrying a Beretta when the military first got them, but stuck with a Wilson 1911 for off duty (this was back in the early 90's. Evolved to a Colt Combat Commander customized by the fine folks at Nowlin (btw his daughter can shoot as good as she looks and she shoots real good). A new sheriff's office required on and off duty with a S&W 645 and that lasted till a lateral to a city agency where I stared with a Sig P229 (40) which lasted 4 months and I swithced to a Glock 23 then back to a Springfield Operator (first model for the light rail) for my duty and tactical weapon (with an M3 light), backed up by a S&W 340PD. Now that I went federalie its the Sig P229 (unfortunatly) till they change (hopefully soon). That is the short course over the past 23 years.

How about this for a thread? Guns you carried, sold and wish you hadn't. Two break my heart, my first Wilson and a first run Seecamp .32.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Man I gotta amble down memory lane on this..

Late 70's to late 80's
    Some kinda revolver, .32 cal
    Bulldog, .44 special

Late 80's to 2006
    CZ-75, 9mm
    S&W Model 29, .44 mag

XD-45
    (Thinking 'bout getting a Sig 226)

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Glock 21 .45 ACP to a SIG P-228 9mm. I also carry a S & W Model 65 4 inch .357 Mag sometimes.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    Now that I went federalie its the Sig P229 (unfortunatly) till they change (hopefully soon). That is the short course over the past 23 years.
    Steve
    Hey, whats wrong with the SIG???????
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

First handgun was a Para P13 purchased around 1999 or so. Grew up on my father's WWII mfg Colt 1911A1, so I had to have a 1911 .45 ACP and because "I could," I decided it had to be a double stack. The Para was carried infrequently IWB. Was an unreliable, heavy POS but I had to make due because I was on a college student income.

About 6 months later I was able to save up a couple hundred, so I traded it in for another double stack .45 - a fullsize HK USP because I knew they were reliable and was familiar with the safety lever.

Still too big for comfortable carry. Saved up and bought a Glock 27 after getting bit by the Glock bug. USP was relegated to the bedstand and infrequent camping trips. This was around mid 2000.

Had the G27 for about half a year, but never really warmed up to the .40. Got a nice bonus check, so I traded it in plus $$$ for a P7M8, which has been my CCW of choice since then.

Basically, my evolution till now has gone:

1) 13+1 .45ACP
    2) 10+1 .45ACP (Clinton Era magazines in the USP)
    3) 9+1 .40SW & 1 extra magazine
    4) 8+1 9mm & 1 extra magazine.

Recently, I had to sell the USP to make bills... well, it was also an excuse to change platforms because the safety lever never sat right with me, I never felt the need to buy more $50+ magazines and the HK45 is most likely going to replace it.

I still feel the siren song for both GM 1911s and Glocks, so one (or more) of them will be the next purchase and most likely the P7M8 will get a nice set of wooden grips and be left in the safe as an heirloom for my son. Now that it has been discontinued and the extra magazines are getting priced out of hand, I'm going to retire it so my son can appreciate what I consider among the best CCW platforms made.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Carried a Ruger .357 SA irregularly for a while. Great gun and I never should have gotten rid of it.

When I started carrying regularly, I went with a Taurus aluminum (or other alloy-framed) DAO .38. It surely would have done the job (I put down a wounded deer with it once), but it was NO FUN to shoot. It hurt with everything except Glasers.

Went to a S&W 296 then. Good gun, but too big for my hand. I couldn't always get the trigger to re-set, owing to the my short fingers. It was also NO FUN to shoot.

I figured alloy-framed revolvers, at that point, were not for me.

Tried a pair of CZ-52's. They shot small groups, but I'd have to aim at a guy's knees to hit him COM, so I went with a Sig P239. Great gun. Carried it for many months. Accurate and reliable. It spoiled me in the accuracy department.

I sold it to get a Kahr PM9 :) because I wanted to be able to carry in a pocket. The PM9 is a great gun. I still have it, and I used it in a DeSantis Kingston Car Seat Holster as my car gun.

Carried a Ruger P97 for a few months. Reliable, tough weapon. Not as accurate as I would have liked, but certainly acceptable combat accuracy. Grip was too big for my lil' girly hands, though, so it had to go.

Replaced it with a S&W 1911sc. Reliable, accurate weapon. Easy (for me) to conceal and plenty of power. I love it. I carry it almost every day. I even take it to the gym in a Smartcarry.

I also carried a Sig Sauer GSR with or instead of my PM9 and with or instead of my S&W1911sc.

I have also carried my Witness 10mm and my Springfield XD45. I even had a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine I carried a few times. Glad I never had to use THAT one in a confined space....

I now have a Kahr P45 that I carry with or alternate with my S&W1911sc. Very small, more accurate than you think. Great weapon.
    Last edited by randytulsa2; August 9th, 2006 at 11:28 AM.

Assistant Administrator
    Further thanks to all for contributions - it is quite interesting to see what transitions folks have gone thru.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Honestly, I've not gone through much of a transition. All I've really done is add to my inventory.

When I first got my Michigan CPL, a little over 3 years ago, I started out carrying the ONLY handgun I had then, a Taurus PT92AFS. I then slowly added to the inventory. I've had and carried the following.

CZ-52 7.62x25mm Tokarov (Nice for penetrating winter clothing)
    Firestorm .45 Government Model (1911 clone, sold later)
    Bulgarian 9x18mm Makarov (Sold later)
    Para-Ordnance P13.45 (Sold)
    Taurus PT940 .40S&W (Sold for mechanical reasons)
    Firestorm Compact Duo-Tone .45ACP (1911 Commander Clone)
    Taurus PT911 9x19mm (My pimp gun)
    Taurus Model 617B 2" barreled, 7 shot .357magnum revolver. (To date, the ONLY revolver I have, other than a black powder .36 C&B replica)
    Bersa Thunder .380
    EAA Witness .45ACP Full Size, "Wonder" Finish.

My carrying basically rotates between the two Taurus automatics, and the EAA Witness. The revolver and the .380 see service strictly as BUGs. Or, the .380 is sometimes the main carry weapon on those days that I HAVE to go out, don't really want to because I feel so bad. Growing old sucks!

i got my first gun about the time this thread got started....same goes with my CCW permit.

carry-9mm beretta 92D Centurion

i'd like to go to a .45 (maybe)
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

Over the last 27 years that I've been carrying, I have had a wide range of carry weapons. But as you can see I usually return to my one true love; the Browning High Power. After about 5 of them I finally got the message that it's the one that I was suppose to have.

My Carry gun evolutions is as follows:

1.) Colt Combat Commander, .45 ACP, Stain Nickel 70 Series
    2.) Browning High Power MkII, 9mm
    3.) S&W Mod. 69, 9mm
    4.) Walther PPK/s, .380
    4.) Browning BDA .380
    5.) Browning High Power MkIII, 9mm
    6.) H&K4, .380
    7.) S&W Mod 3913, 9mm
    8.) Browning 1922, .380
    9.) Sig 228, 9mm
    11.) Browning High Power, MkIII, .40 S&W
    12.) S&W Mod 4516, .45 ACP
    13.) S&W Mod 5946, 9mm
    14.) Custom Browning High Power MkIII, 9mm
    15.) Kahr K9, 9mm
    16.) Custom S&W Model 65, .357mag
    17.) Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Mil Spec. .45 ACP
    18.) Kahr TP9, 9mm
    19.) Browning High Power Mk III, 9mm (currently)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links