Carry gun evolutions?

This is a discussion on Carry gun evolutions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stole this question from another board but - seemed like an interesting deal to find out what your carry gun/guns evolution was. Timeframes, gun ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun evolutions?

Assistant Administrator

Carry gun evolutions?

I stole this question from another board but - seemed like an interesting deal to find out what your carry gun/guns evolution was. Timeframes, gun types, choice rationales etc - and where that leaves you as of right now.

I have moved up I guess in size and weight over time - well as my primary. I am one of those folks who have few prob's over concealment and actually favor large and heavy - more stable platform plus capacity. Many know this.

My first carry, for quite some time, was Taurus M85 snub. I went up from there to try a semi - and so used P95, mostly in a sho rig. Went back to OWB then and tried M28, BHP and finally for some time went back to revo, with SP-101.

I had tho had the hots for a SIG for ages and finally early this year got me a 226ST - my daily carry now (9mm, 15+1 +P GD's). I can tho sub' this one for a 228 or even a 220 if I want .45acp - they all have CT grips.

Oh and have tried some carry time with SW99 - very compact and actually a good shooter but SIG still wins and I prefer now to stick to one platform.

An R9 has almost exclusively been BUG category - just very occasionally if needs must it takes primary (and so sole) stage. Great in pocket, not bad at all ankle.

I actually started carry 2002. M85 was probably for at least 6/12 - P95 maybe 3/12 or so - hard to remember. Others spread about. Had an R9 since mid 2004. SIG carry now near 10 months or more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

My first "carry" gun on a regular basis was a Bersa 380 back in the late 70's and graduated to a Ruger Security six in .357 in the mid 80's. Both guns were stolen during a burglary in the early 90's. Got a Rossi .357 and Davis Derringer .32 along with guns like my Ruger P-85 that aren't really carry weapons, at least most of the time. Have bought many more since then, but my main carries now are a Bersa Ultra Compact 45 and a Kel Tec P-3AT.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

1911 full size, 1911 compact, Colt Defender, 1911 full size.

The Compact and defender didn't feel right. They wern't comfortable so I went back to what felt best, 1911 full sixe.

Talking

First daily carry was an S&W M&P--1951. I did carry a Mauser a bit before that.

1911 or M&P during the Korean war.

BHP some in the late 50s.

Back to 1911s in the mid 60s.

Lots of S&W revolvers in the early 80s, and H&Ks, then to Glocks for a while in 86 until 90.

Since 90, several different guns, usually 1911/BHP/H&KP7s.

Since 80, always a revolver bug--mostly a S&W, with a sub caliber third gun.

Last few years, a return to revolvers much of the time. Today, a 329PD, a 296, and a 642.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

My first carry was a Ruger P89, that was sold to a co-worker in need and later replaced with a Beretta 92fs. I miss the Ruger but not the Beretta. The Beretta was replaced by my first 1911, a Colt MKIV Series 80 Enhanced Gov't. - sold to pay the bills ... man I miss that gun. Next came a 4" Colt Anaconda, decent woods gun and often shoved under the seat during road trips but not really CCW appropriate. Next came an SA Ultra Compact Hicap, too many reliability issues so it got traded off. Then came my S&W M66, an SA Champion, a stainless Colt 1991 Gov't., and my current S&W 642 ... with definite plans for another 1911 Gov't. as soon as possible. Just something about those .45 caliber holes!
    Jack

Oh yeah, somewhere in there I also had a Ruger P94 (I liked the P89 better) and a 7.5" Ruger SBH.

Short Evolution due to Status:

CHL "Applied For", currently carry only at home to build familiarity/use/comfort while I wait to get my "real deal":

Glock 17 in an IWB (Hume)
    Beretta Bobcat 21A in a pocket holster,"Mouse BUG"

My wife has a Glock 26 in a Pager Pal
    Beretta Bobcat 21A in a pocket holster, "Mouse BUG"

Look forward to seeing everyone's "Evolution"! Good question.

Lead Moderator
    I started with my USP .40. Then got a Taurus PT 140. found it to be wanting,and after it Kb'ed I went with a SA 1911 commander size. Also got a NAA .22 for deep concealment. May look into a small .380 or a snubbie revolver for summer carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Short Evolution due to Status:

CHL "Applied For", currently carry only at home to build familiarity/use/comfort while I wait to get my "real deal":

I did the same thing while waiting for my permit to arrive. The funny thing is, I got so comfortable with carrying during that time that I never had to deal with the paranoia of "being made" when I started carrying in public. That, along with the tips and tricks I've picked up on various Forums, went a long way toward helping me get over the newbie pitfalls most seem to worry about.

Oh, congratulations to you and the missus for getting your permits too!
    Jack

Started out with a Raven 25 then went to a 38 special snub nose and after about 30 different kinds of handguns I have ended up carrying a Colt Government Model in 38 Super or the snub nose 38.I still keep a 25 in the pocket though.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    I did the same thing while waiting for my permit to arrive. The funny thing is, I got so comfortable with carrying during that time that I never had to deal with the paranoia of "being made" when I started carrying in public. That, along with the tips and tricks I've picked up on various Forums, went a long way toward helping me get over the newbie pitfalls most seem to worry about.

Oh, congratulations to you and the missus for getting your permits too!
    Jack
    I carry any new gun or holster around the house first to familiarize myself with it first. Makes for less embarrasing situations in public.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    CO has only been "shall-issue" for a couple of years. I got my permit a year ago. My carry has been a G21 so far. As you may have seen on a couple of other threads here, I just got a G27, still mulling over whether it'll be an alternate primary or a maxiBUG.
    Last edited by Anubis; December 10th, 2005 at 09:07 AM.

I started with a Combat Commander in the early 80's, carried in a Bianchi shoulder holster, later changing to a Kramer IWB. Went through a period with a Kahr K9. I change with the seasons. Sometimes a Walther PPK/S (.32) in an ankle holster, sometimes a SW442. I usually have the Smith close by at all times since it is easy to conceal/carry. Used to have a cute little Davis Derringer in .32 but gave it to my niece. Now that the weather is colder I can carry the Colt.

Started with a 3.5" Para LDA. Moved on to a 4" kimber. Currently a 5" Kimber.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

carry evolution (well...)

I starting carrying a SW chief's special, then moved up to a SW chief's special, and on occasion I carry a SW chief's special.
    I suppose one could say that, lacking any competition from predators, my evolutionary journey has stalled out. i hope it so remains.
    RB
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Assistant Administrator
    Great input, thx guys.

Zach - wondering - you have progressed up to full size. Similar reasons to my carry choice factors - large and heavier? Just wonder if you find reliability, capacity and stability factors of importance.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links