Which Snubbie "Complements" my other two?

This is a discussion on Which Snubbie "Complements" my other two? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another post I indicated I'm winding down my purchases for a while. I'm about to pick up an 870 shot gun and there's a ...

Thread: Which Snubbie "Complements" my other two?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Which Snubbie "Complements" my other two?

In another post I indicated I'm winding down my purchases for a while. I'm about to pick up an 870 shot gun and there's a lever action .357 down the road a bit but I'm also wanting to round out my tiny collection of snubbies.

I currently have an S&W 642. Covers pocket carry. Has some "character" from carrying it. The clear coat is simply going to show the wear and tear. I love the little gun.

Then I have a 3" SP101 .38/.357. I love it. It's my "woods" gun.

Now I'd like to get one more snubby in .38/.357. Ideally I'd like one with a hammer because I really like the way it looks but a DAO SP101 is mighty fine to, so I'm thinking either an S&W model 60 or an SP101 DAO with the shorter 2" barrel.

I'd really like to have a gun customized by Gemini to include bead blasting so it's got to be stainless. I like the option to fire .357 but will shoot it more with .38. This gun will be belt carried.

I like the smaller size and hammer looks of the model 60. I wonder it the extra weight will make it "shootable" with modest .357 loads or if I'm waisting my time getting a .357 in such a small package. On the other hand, I like the Rugers but they are larger. The 60 would conceal a bit better IWB, right?

So if you could pick one snubbie to add to the other two, which would you pick? I'd originally intended to get the 3" SP101 done up nice by Gemini but carrying it in the woods it does get dinged so no sense in prettying up a woods gun.

A Model 60, bead blasted, custom trigger job, nice wood grips would be beautiful. And then I have my 642 for pocket carry.

Any thoughts?

And I do owe all of you some pics of some of the things you've helped me make up my mind on. You all helped when I got my AR15, then my MK9, and most recently a Colt New Agent. So thanks and one day I'll post some pics!

2. Remove Ads

S&W 66?

How about a S&W 66 with 2.5 inch barrel? This is a 32 ounce K frame .357 that handles recoil well, has a great trigger and adjustable sights, and looks good with fancy wood grips. It conceals easily in an OWB holster because of its rounded shape. The guns are out of production but many of them exist on the used market in good condition for about $450 to $500. I own this one that I bought used from a retired police detective who used it as a duty gun for several years:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

That's beautiful Pogo but I have small hands so I'm limited to a J frame or the SP101 size. An S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 is a bit too big for me to give you a reference. I do like the idea of a 2.5" barrel with adjustable sights thought. I really wish the Ruger SP101 w/3" barrel came with good adjustable sights....

That sure is a beautiful weapon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    That's beautiful Pogo but I have small hands so I'm limited to a J frame or the SP101 size. An S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 is a bit too big for me to give you a reference. I do like the idea of a 2.5" barrel with adjustable sights thought. I really wish the Ruger SP101 w/3" barrel came with good adjustable sights....

That sure is a beautiful weapon!!
    Try this!
    Product: Model 60 Revolver - 3"

You might like this one!! 340 M&P. .357Mag or .38+P in a 13oz package!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Model 60 in .357 mag is not too bad to shoot, especially the 110 gr and the 125 gr loads. John

Nothing is wrong with an old school Model 60 SS. I have a 1968 Model 60 that feels right. I'm planning on picking up some nice fuller wood grips (I don't care for rubber grips on a carry gun because the clothing does not move across it).

Here is a couple of pics.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

That model 60 is simply beautiful. I think that's what I'm looking for! a real classic that's between the larger Ruger SP101 and the smaller pocket weight 642.

Thanks for sharing your pics guys!!

Links