NAA Guardian .380???

This is a discussion on NAA Guardian .380??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I am looking for a pocket gun. I came across a decently priced NAA Guardian .380. It's stainless, 6+1 capacity, rubber grips, brand new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAA Guardian .380???

NAA Guardian .380???

So, I am looking for a pocket gun. I came across a decently priced NAA Guardian .380. It's stainless, 6+1 capacity, rubber grips, brand new in box. I don't see many guardians out there, but see LCPs and Keltecs everywhere. Is the NAA comparable to the LCP or the P3AT? I would like a Rohrbaugh(spelled right), but thats beyond my budget for now. Anyway, anyone carry a guardian? Anyone know if the Guardian is a good little pocket gun?
    Last edited by Jaystekan; September 4th, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

2. Remove Ads

I would have to say that the Guardian is far superior to the LCP or the Keltec, but that's just me.

The Seecamp .380 and Rohrbaugh both have incredible reputations, but they are pricey and hard to get. Kahr is supposed to be releasing a .380, but they keep delaying the release and I believe it will also be in the $700 range.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I have the .32NAA Guardian (same as .380). I'd say that it's definitely a great gun. I got to take a tour of the factory and see the masters at work.

I would consider the weight of the gun, though. If you've seen it and held it, you know it's not light. Significantly heavier than the KT or the LCP.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    As jarhead79 said, the Guardian .380 is a pretty heavy gun and not too long ago went back into production so it may be scarce for a while. The little plastic .380s are half the weight, as almost is the little all stainless Seecamp LWS380. IMHO a pocket gun shouldn't be quite so heavy. The build quality is solid, the Guardian is a fine pistol, but at that size, one might as well get a Sig a Bersa or a Beretta.

The "coming soon" Kahr, if it appears at a reasonable price, will be a much sought after gun.

I just recently passed up a Guardian .380 and bought a Kel-Tec. The Guardian was used (no warranty) for $300, and the P3AT was $250 brand new w/lifetime warranty. I do not regret it a bit, my p3at has went bang every time with about 200 rounds through it so far. The Kel-Tec certainly has some kick, but it's not as bad as my .45. The Kel-Tec's weight in the pocket is almost un-noticeable, while the Guardian pulled that side down a little with its weight. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Great, thanks for the help. next question.... .32 or .380? not trying to start a ballistics war, just curious, if you all had your choice, would you choose a .32 or a .380 for poctet carry?

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I just recently passed up a Guardian .380 and bought a Kel-Tec. The Guardian was used (no warranty) for $300, and the P3AT was $250 brand new w/lifetime warranty. I do not regret it a bit, my p3at has went bang every time with about 200 rounds through it so far. The Kel-Tec certainly has some kick, but it's not as bad as my .45. The Kel-Tec's weight in the pocket is almost un-noticeable, while the Guardian pulled that side down a little with its weight. It all depends on what you're looking for.

RE: your warranty comment on the Guardian.....Apparently the warranty follows the gun, as I was given an older .32 as a gift.....(one of the first ones with a AA prefix SN).........that gun had a lot of finish wear and a broken takedown latch. I sent it back to NAA with repair instructions and a request to just bill me......they did a COMPLETE rebuild (thats EVERY part other than the frame and slide!) and refinish for the cost of shipping it back to me!

Now, I don't care whose book it is, THAT is a warranty that is worth it.

Further, set any of those plastic pieces down beside an NAA and it's immediately clear that the NAA products are head and shoulders a far better piece......on the downside, it is heavier...but to me that ultimately translates into durability.....besides, I got a really good deal........in actuality a brand new (even down to the grips and screws) pocket piece for way under a C note!

I'd add that little gun will hold every round in an approximate inch and a half circle to point of aim at seven plus yards!

Never owned one of the NAA pistols, but the ones I've seen seem very well made. Only thing I have against them is weight. At 18.72 oz. empty, the NAA is right at twice the weight of the LCP (9.4 oz.) and almost 3 ounces heavier than a Kahr PM9.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

EW3
    I had an NAA .380 for a short time. Way too heavy for a pocket pistol IMO. Very well made and went bang every time, but at around 22 oz loaded, you could have 2 LCPs or a J-Frame.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I own both the NAA and Kel Tec in 380. The NAA is a blowback design, even with the added weight of the all steel construction it produces a healthy recoil compared to the Kel Tec and Ruger LCP which are a Lock breech design.

They are pretty darn good little guns. Well made and well supported with good line of accessories. A bit heavy but carries just fine. Shoots good.

I believe their stated warranty is to the original owner but they have consistently honored it no matter what. This is fairly typical of many smaller manufacturers. They will normally just fix it for anyone because they want their image to remain solid. But reserve the right to refuse if they suspect neglect or abuse. If it is normal wear and or a malfunction they just go ahead and fix it up right. Often renewing them completely.

I also like the ability to change grips and the fairly excellent line of holsters from good makers and even the ability to change sights that it has.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Have had a NAA .32 Guardian for years. Have never had a single malfunction. I use Silvertips and always hit what I'm aiming at. Silvertips have no problem penetrating four 2x4's.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

CPHILIP --- I have the exact same grips and pocket holster for my .32NAA!! Small world, eh??
    It's a very concealable setup. A bit heavy, yes -- but a quality pistol!!! A handful to shoot in .32NAA. Not for a 'recoil shy' person.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

I have the .380 and love it. Never had a problem. I carry it owb in a triple-k holster. It's so snug, the weight it not a problem. The quality is top shelf and even with the owb carry, It's easily concealable under a t-shirt. I always carry 6 in the mag and one in the tube. I chose the 380 because the ammo is easily available and wasn't sure about the availability of the necked down NAA32 round.
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

Thank you all so much for the help. I decided to go ahead and purchase the Guardian 380. It should be here in 10 days or so. I don't mind a little extra weight, especially in a small size handgun. I went out today and looked at the kel-tec and I just couldn't see buying it. Nothing against kel-tec, it's just when compared to the guardan, well, the keltec just couldn't compare. The lcp is nice and there was one in stock, but I just preferred the guardian's craftmanship(never been a ruger fan). I also like the fact that I can have "real" sights installed on the guardian and have the ability to put some nice grips on it. I know in a gun that small, having good sights may not be as beneficial as they would be on a larger gun, but i like the fact that the option is there should I want them. I also like the fact that NAA offers quite a few customizations to their line of guns, and at excellent prices. Thank you all for your help, I really apprecite it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links