Defensive Carry banner

Should I buy an XD Sub-Compact

5K views 41 replies 37 participants last post by  BroBud 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am a long time shooter and new to concealed carry. Like many here I need help making an educated purchase.

I have sent many rounds through my brother's XD 40, some through Dad's 9mm tactical and love them. I am concidering a 9mm sub-compact but have heard some reports of them not holding up to heavy use. If I am gonna carry it I am gonna practice with it, alot. I shoot at least once a week and will put a minimum of 100 rounds a week through it. Thus I need to be sure it will hold up before I spend my hard earned dollars. Is this the right gun for me?

I am also lookin at a Kahr CW9.

#2 ·
Glocks are more reliable...since you're talking about sub-compacts, I'd go with the 26.

Reactions: hinkleid
#16 ·
Are more reliable than an XD! Not a chance, did you not read the 20,000 round torture test done on the xd, not one single jam or misfire! An the last time I checked Springfield had not signed a deal to sell 30,000 guns to Iran like Glock has done. Bar none XD is the best off the shelf pistol I have ever shot. I just would not buy it or any gun in 9mm. Ten years of working in one of the busiest trauma centers in the country I can say 9mm take to many rounds to stop a BG!

#3 ·
XD-SC is a great reliable gun.It is a bit thick.Use good ammo,no cheap junk.Use factory clips-no aftermarket garbage.Very simple to clean also.

#7 ·
I like mine. This is my .40

But I like my other slim sub-compact even better. Half as thick and twice as concealable. This is my 9MM but it is available in .40

After a full day of carry I am itching to relieve myself of the XD. Same cannot be said of the PPS. After a long day you almost forget you are wearing the PPS.

From left to right:
SA XD40SC
Walther PPS 9MM
Ruger LCP .380

#19 ·
IMHO...The XD is every bit the gun as the Glock and more comfortable to shoot!..I've had both.
Its the old chevy vs. ford arguement...Buy which one you like

#9 ·
I have a XD9SC and lost count how many rounds I've put thru it. It has never given me any problems and still looks and shoots as good as the day I adopted it. Can't go wrong a XD.

#13 ·
The XD is a great gun, and I believe that it will last as long as any other gun on the market. Glocks are great guns ( I have 3, including a G39 that I just bought because they didn't have the XD compact available), but I absolutely LOVE my XD 45. So if you like the XD, and it feels good to you, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

#17 ·
Its a GREAT gun, I got rid of my Glock over the XD. I like the palm safety and the tail at the top of the palm much better than the Glock.

Reactions: stancehold
#20 ·
I had a XD Sub in 9mm

I sold it to buy a berreta 390 shotgun. I had it about 4 months and I like it better that the glock 19. The glock belonged to a friend of mine and I shot it a few times. The XD is more solid. The glock would resonate in my hand when I fired it, to the point where after a couple of clips it was uncomfortable. Both are good guns but the ergonomics of the XD sub, especially with the long clip are much better IMHO...

Also instead of all the useless plastic stuff I got with the XD9 Sub-compact, I would much rather just have a cardboard box and 2 extra factory clips for a total of 2 short clips and 2 long clips. :hand10:

#22 ·
The XD-9sc is a good choice. It's fat like the competitors but has the advantage of having the shortest barrel, a grip safety, metal guide rod, metal sights, and metal trigger. Even with the shorter barrel, the chrono results are very similar to the longer guns. It also has an internal extractor that some folks prefer over external extractors.

#23 ·
The XDsc is a great gun, and for me, fits my hand and shoots better than a Glock. With the extended mag, the fit to the hand, feel and balance is terrific! And it naturally points to the target better than the Glock (for me).

The only thing that would make it better is if it were a tad slimmer.

#24 ·
+1 On pointing better. That factor helped push me over when deciding between the Glock and the XD. Got the XD for the overriding fact that it just felt "right" when pointing down range. The Glock felt like I was hold a bar of soap and I had to drop the muzzle for the sights to line up on target.

#25 ·
I'm having the same debate with myself right now; do I get a Glock 26 or an XD-9SC? I've handled both, and each time the XD just "feels" better to me. I also have an XD-9 Service (4") that is one great gun, so I'm leaning toward the Springfield.

At the end of the day, it's what YOU like and what feels RIGHT for YOU.

#26 ·
For what it's worth on the "Glocks are Impervious" line of thinking, I bought a G27 and had jams on the first 3 rounds fired. If I put it in a death grip, it'll finally do the job, but that's not exactly comforting in case I have to shoot one handed. I'm no weakling, so that's not the issue, so it's now at the gunsmith to get repairs. I'll probably keep it if he deems it reliable now, but it's not gonna be on my hip until it proves itself. In the meantime, I'll stick with my Pro Carry II in .45....

#27 ·
XD.40 SC was my first semi-automatic handgun. I bought it over a Glock because I didn't like the looks and grip angle of the Glock.

I've put maybe 500 rounds through my XD and find that the sights are off just a bit. I compensate for that without a major problem.

#28 ·
I have an XDSc in 9 mm. Have put several K rounds through it with absolutely no problem. I just keep it clean and it keeps on performing. I really do prefer it to the Glock for two reasons. For me, the ergonomics of the XD are better than that of a Glock 26. Also, I have more confidence in the XD safety system than that of the Glock Safe Action. I recommend the XD.

Reactions: sheepdog37
#29 ·
I sold my M&P compact for an XD-40sc. I have absolutely no regrets. The XD just points a lot more natural for me. Size difference is negligible in my opinion between an XD and a baby glock. I love my xd, it resides in a smartcarry on my right hip almost daily.

#30 ·
I'm happy with the XD9SC. I've not shot the Walther PPS, but it would seem to address the one place I feel the XD compromises--thickness. XD has a chunky butt, that seems more to challenge comfort than concealment for me. The Croats produce a solid product at a great price with plenty of after-market support and accessories. I say you won't regret the XD SC choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.