S&W Revolvers <120gr Ammo Limitations?

This is a discussion on S&W Revolvers <120gr Ammo Limitations? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at some of the lightweight S&W revolvers. Those with titanium cylinders specify that bullets less than 120gr should not be used. ...

Thread: S&W Revolvers <120gr Ammo Limitations?

S&W Revolvers <120gr Ammo Limitations?

I have been looking at some of the lightweight S&W revolvers. Those with titanium cylinders specify that bullets less than 120gr should not be used. I went online and read the instruction manual and the reason given for this limitation is that it is to prevent premature wear of the titanium cylinder. However, Remington and Winchester both offer 110gr SJHP rounds that are loaded to lower pressure and lower velocities (around 1295fps) than full power magnum loads. I am thinking that the restriction that S&W gives is to prevent people from using ultra-fast, lightweight bullets, but that this should not stop someone from shooting a 110gr bullet that is essentially a very hot 38sp and not a full power 357 load. I am interested in these 110gr loads because they would be more powerful than 38sp but ought to be much more controllable than full-house magnum loads in a small, lightweight gun. Do any of you know whether S&Ws ammo restriction would apply to these lower power rounds or is my analysis of the situation essentially correct?
    Thanks in advance,

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    I have been looking at some of the lightweight S&W revolvers. Those with titanium cylinders specify that bullets less than 120gr should not be used. I went online and read the instruction manual and the reason given for this limitation is that it is to prevent premature wear of the titanium cylinder. However, Remington and Winchester both offer 110gr SJHP rounds that are loaded to lower pressure and lower velocities (around 1295fps) than full power magnum loads. I am thinking that the restriction that S&W gives is to prevent people from using ultra-fast, lightweight bullets, but that this should not stop someone from shooting a 110gr bullet that is essentially a very hot 38sp and not a full power 357 load. I am interested in these 110gr loads because they would be more powerful than 38sp but ought to be much more controllable than full-house magnum loads in a small, lightweight gun. Do any of you know whether S&Ws ammo restriction would apply to these lower power rounds or is my analysis of the situation essentially correct?
    Thanks in advance,

I don't think this issue is so much the power of the round but the fast burning powder. Also, short (light) bullets in light weight guns tend to jump crimp because there's less bullet inside the case. I would just find myself a nice 125gr. load and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    I don't think this issue is so much the power of the round but the fast burning powder. Also, short (light) bullets in light weight guns tend to jump crimp because there's less bullet inside the case. I would just find myself a nice 125gr. load and be happy.
    I have heard of lead bullets pulling out under recoil, but the loads that I mentioned have copper jackets (SJHP). Also, as I mentioned, the stated reason given in the manual was premature wear of the titanium cylinder, not bullets jumping crimp. My thought was that they were trying to exclude rounds like Glazers which are copper jacketed and exit the gun at such high velocity. The 110-grain bullets at 1295-fps are REDUCED-power 357 rounds, essentially very hot 38sp. I just don't see how such a round would cause the kind of cylinder wear of which the instruction manual warned.

TOF
    Call S&W and ask them the question. They are the only ones that can give you a definite answer.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

If you are talking about the airlite 340SP versions don't worry about it. You are not going to shoot enough .357's in it to cause any damage. The recoil from using a .357 in that gun has to be felt to be believed.

The Titanium framed J-frames have substantial recoil with 38 Special carry ammo and are just about impossible to control with .357 ammo

Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection - 38 Special +P

May be the best snubby round

Mike

During the waiting period for my 340 PD,
    I called Smith & Wesson and asked about
    the 120 minimum weight.
    They said it applied to 357 only
    and that any weight 38 would be OK.
    Mine is loaded with Double Tap 125 +P's.
    osCommerce
    1.875" bbl S&W - 1100fps
    Bullet: Speer Gold Dot Low Velocity
    336 ft. lbs. 1.875"

One other reason may be POI shift with too light a bullet.

"The Titanium framed J-frames have substantial recoil with 38 Special carry ammo and are just about impossible to control with .357 ammo"

Mike --- I respectfully disagree that .357 loads are 'just about impossible to control'.
    I carry a 340 M&P which weighs in at 13oz unloaded. While the recoil from a
    .357 Mag. in the gun is "sharp", it still scores reasonably well out to about 7 yards.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

It's almost certainly the fact that lighter bullets are likely to unseat from the casing when firing, especially .357, and possibly .38 +.

I was reading ammo reviews at CheaperThanDirt not long ago and there were several rounds where AirWeight users said the last couple rounds had extruded bullets from the previous recoils. Just not enough recoil absorption from the light frames, so force affected the bullet at the crimp.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    It's almost certainly the fact that lighter bullets are likely to unseat from the casing when firing, especially .357, and possibly .38 +.

I was reading ammo reviews at CheaperThanDirt not long ago and there were several rounds where AirWeight users said the last couple rounds had extruded bullets from the previous recoils. Just not enough recoil absorption from the light frames, so force affected the bullet at the crimp.

- OS
    Heavier bullets would have a greater tendency to pull out due to momentum. Heavier things at rest resist being put into motion more than lighter things. So, why the concern over LIGHTER bullets in the guns? Again, the instruction manual mentioned cylinder wear and NOT crimp jumping as the concern. Here is the quote from the manual:

"Do not use Magnum loadings with bullet weights of less than 120
    grains - This will reduce the possibility of premature erosion in
    titanium alloy cylinders."

This is why I asked about DOWN-loaded 357 rounds like the Remington and Winchester 110gr loads with factory specs of less than 1300fps from a 4" barrel. (This is below "Magnum" velocities for this bullet weight.) Since these loads are not quite "Magnum" power, then the caution "do not use MAGNUM loadings with bullet weights of less than 120 grains. . ." would not seem necessarily to apply to these "lighter" loads. Oh well, I guess I will just have to call S&W for an answer on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    Heavier bullets would have a greater tendency to pull out due to momentum. Heavier things at rest resist being put into motion more than lighter things. So, why the concern over LIGHTER bullets in the guns? Again, the instruction manual mentioned cylinder wear and NOT crimp jumping as the concern. Here is the quote from the manual:

"Do not use Magnum loadings with bullet weights of less than 120
    grains - This will reduce the possibility of premature erosion in
    titanium alloy cylinders."

This is why I asked about DOWN-loaded 357 rounds like the Remington and Winchester 110gr loads with factory specs of less than 1300fps from a 4" barrel. (This is below "Magnum" velocities for this bullet weight.) Since these loads are not quite "Magnum" power, then the caution "do not use MAGNUM loadings with bullet weights of less than 120 grains. . ." would not seem necessarily to apply to these "lighter" loads. Oh well, I guess I will just have to call S&W for an answer on this one.
    Hmmm, well, I guess I stand corrected, I guess...

<Emily Latella>
    "Never mind."
    </Emily Latella>

- OS

Links