Ruger LCP repair needed.

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP repair needed. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just an FYI out there, I finally got my first snag in my Ruger LCP. When firing the weapon on occasion the weapon drops the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP repair needed.

Ruger LCP repair needed.

Just an FYI out there, I finally got my first snag in my Ruger LCP. When firing the weapon on occasion the weapon drops the magazine out of it when firing off a round. I made sure I was not accidentally hitting the magazine release and sure enough I was not. Talked to Ruger service and they said I will have to mail it in to repair. Said it sounds like the magazine retainer seems to fail from time to time, doesn't drop the magazine but once in awhile but obviously I am going to get this taken care of since Ruger is going to cover it. Love the LCP otherwise though! Has this happened to anyone else yet and if it did, just wanted to see how Ruger handled it.

Also this is my first time sending a firearm to the manufactor for repairs. They are UPSing be the box to send it in, was just curious don't they have to mail it to a local FFL for you to get it back? I think that is how it goes but again this is my first time having to do this.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    They are UPSing be the box to send it in, was just curious don't they have to mail it to a local FFL for you to get it back? I think that is how it goes but again this is my first time having to do this.
    No. Sending already owned firearm for repair is okay under Federal law, both directions. Even if you were sending it to a repair shop that does not have FFL.
    However, they can only send it back to you via private carrier (not USPS), and with signature required too (to the best of my knowledge).

- OS

EW3
    Mine is doing the same thing; I think the magazine catch is plastic and is wearing down. Kel-Tec advises people to never slam the magazine home to avoid this on the P3AT, so I think the same thng is happening here.

I noticed that two things seem to be missing from the LCP manual that should be there (they were in the P3AT manual, as I used to have one):

1. never dry fire without a snap cap
    2. don't slam the magazine in

Yes, you can send via FedEx or UPS, expect them to freak out a little when you tell them it's a firearm in that box, and be prepared to be asked 100x "is it unloaded?". I am sending mine back Monday via the gun shop I bought it from, as they will charge less to ship to Ruger than if I went right to FedEx or UPS.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Reading posts concerning problems with them little .380's (Kel-Tecs and LCP's) all over the different forums has made me an even stronger proponent of my old "J" frame. Not knocking them, just every time I unholster my antique S&W 36 and pull the trigger it goes "BANG" every time. I realize they must be a dream to carry but I want my weapon to keep my hide in one piece. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I sure can't see paying almost a $100 more for a

"Ruger-Tec" if they aren't better quality.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I sure can't see paying almost a $100 more for a

"Ruger-Tec" if they aren't better quality.

Or even $30 more because they are 'prettier'. Especially after one company has done over 5 years of r&d to work out the bugs.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

"Better Quality"......?

I haven't seen any quality yet. Will not fire a full mag without jamming (with ALL types and makes of ammo tried) - Ruger sent me a new barrel, same problem - They then told me to send them the complete pistol........... Should have bought an SR9, at least they "knew" what was wrong with them..........

I've had absolutely no problems with any jams or misfeading. Even ran Corbon JHP and not one feeding problem. This is the first problem I've had with it.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Wish I had one of those "eating popcorn" smilies....

Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 22nd, 2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Added smiley.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Hmmm. 30,000+ delivered. 70,000 backlog. 49 employees added to increase production. All the problems must really be depressing sales.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I've heard a rumor, and it should be treated as such for the time being, but............
    LCP Manufacturing Stopped
    Just heard this at the LGS.

1. Guess keltec sued them but it hasn't gone to court yet.
    2. ruger went ahead and stopped production
    3. keltec didn't have any patents on their guns
    4. Ruger says that they have made 7 major improvements and PATENTED them (hehehe) so keltec can't use their improvements

for those who have an LCP - it may be a BIG collectors item
    I don't mean to start a pandemic or anything, but this is from another forum. Verification of this claim is entirely up to the end user. I'm just relaying the possibility.

Well send it in finally and Ruger says it will take 3-4 weeks to get it back. So far their customer service has been good, they send me an overnight UPS shipping tag right away.

Samuel Adams

Well finally got my LCP back today. Looks like they replaced the takedown pin, trigger bar, and the trigger pivot. Took them a little over a month to get back like they said now just need to test it out on the range.

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Reading posts concerning problems with them little .380's (Kel-Tecs and LCP's) all over the different forums has made me an even stronger proponent of my old "J" frame. Not knocking them, just every time I unholster my antique S&W 36 and pull the trigger it goes "BANG" every time. I realize they must be a dream to carry but I want my weapon to keep my hide in one piece. JMO
    I started out CCW with Kel-Tecs and Bersa (.380s) now I carry .38 Spl snubbies exclusively. The J Frame is sort of like the C-130 and 6X6 truck, if it works it doesn't need fixing.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've heard a rumor, and it should be treated as such for the time being, but............

I don't mean to start a pandemic or anything, but this is from another forum. Verification of this claim is entirely up to the end user. I'm just relaying the possibility.
    People have said that since the LCP came out and I'm sure it all bogus!

Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links