Carrying Big Guns - Page 3

Carrying Big Guns

This is a discussion on Carrying Big Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while ago (different lifetime really..) I was required to carry 24/7 in Key Wet, Fl.; when out of uniform I carried a P220 .45acp ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    erh
    A while ago (different lifetime really..) I was required to carry 24/7 in Key Wet, Fl.; when out of uniform I carried a P220 .45acp IWB w/ shorts, pull on beach shoes, & a loose tee shirt (standard local day-to-day wear in the Keys...) But I'm big enough to not be "Made" anyway - 6' - 235lbs...
    It CAN be done.., just "Pay Attention." Still do the same here in S.E., GA. (NOT an LEO anymore..) once in a blue moon w/ a P226 .40-B model, but not very often indeed! Normally just "Pocket Holster", or a smaller IWB piece.

(erh)

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr
    Buy some of the cheap hawaiian shirts. The louder the better. Wear a t-shirt underneath the hawaiian shirt and you can carry almost anything. People see the shirt and never think of this person having a gun.
    I always watch people who dress like me.

I've carried large pistols like a G21 and G34, all the way down to a Kahr Cw9, it comes down to a quality holster and the proper attire.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly.

I’m 5' 10" weight ranging from 155-170lbs, whatever weight I always look "lean and fit".
    I found it a bit awkward carrying a 5" 1911 at first. After a week or two, the weight isn’t at all noticeable. You learn how to move i.e. bending over, running, etc.
    Also attire is big. It can get chilly here, but far from cold.
    I don’t wear "hawaiian pattern" shirts; I wear button down shirts that are fashionable for my age group. Jeans or Pants that are loose fitting.
    A gun Belt that isn’t "tactical looking", and an IBW holster with a good cant.
    My appearance is another bonus. I’m 28yrs, but look 20yrs clean-shaven. Nobody expects someone that looks like a college kid to be packing .

PS: Speaking of attire, as urban camo.
    Buy some of the cheap hawaiian shirts. The louder the better. Wear a t-shirt underneath the Hawaiian shirt and you can carry almost anything.
    That sounds like something Magnum P.I. would say. Dont get me wrong, Magnum P.I. is the man!

I have a modified Askins-style IWB for the Sig 226. No problems, day in, day out.

Sig 239 in front left pocket.

Of course, I'm mother of huge.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Of course, I'm mother of huge.
    It has been rumored that you packed a Sharpes Rifle in your pocket too....as a BUG.

I carry a Para P14/45 in a Milt Sparks VMII IWB holster.
    I stand 6-1 and weigh 240 or more depending on the time of the year.
    Keep your powder dry

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    It's alot easier when you're big, but it get's more expensive since all your clothes now have to come from the big&tall shops
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Combat Commander IWB - Tshirt under - open front loose short sleeve something over. Some times a larger loose Tshirt does the job all by itself. The compact and little guns are sure better than bare hands, but I really like the feel of the full size grip in a flash. With a flower shirt, be sure to hang a double lens reflex camera around your neck.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

It has been rumored that you packed a Sharpes Rifle in your pocket too....
    I wish someone would spread a rumor like that about me .

I carry IWB exclusively and that takes care of at least half the problem of concealability. I will use a variety of shirts (depending on the weather) for the rest of it. In summer I will use a variety of light cotton shirts (always untucked) and I buy them somewhat larger so that I always have plenty of length. Hawaiian shirts work well - again always untucked. For variety, I have purchased a variety of vests (cloth and leather), light jackets, and heavy jackets and they also conceal quite well.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

My carry method in S. Florida;

Gotta be IWB. Remember to wear a "wife beater" to avoid the pain of the gun butt rubbing against your sweaty side all day. It will be hot at first due to the extra layer but after a bit you won't know it is there. Shorts or jeans doesn't matter, just make sure they are comfy with the weapon in your waist band.

For a shirt I either wear an untucked T-shirt, Polo shirt, or for a more formal look I wear the Cuban Guaybera shirts. Basically a Hawaiian shirt without the loud pattern. They are usually silk or a blend that feels that way, so are light weight. They are supposed to be worn untucked so you won't look like you are walking around with your suit shirt untucked. The darker shirts work better, but I have some tan and even white ones I get away with no problem also.

I carry this way with my Glock 23 just about every day. I did get sick of sitting in the office all day with the gun butt sticking me in the side, so went to pocket carry of my R9s. Just make sure to give a little discreet tug to the bottom of the shirt upon standing up and you'll be fine. Once you get used to it you do learn how to move, as someone else previously mentioned. Besides, even if you were printing 99% of the sheeple out there wouldn't even notice it and the one that did would convince themselves it was a phone, leatherman, etc.

All depends on the heat index here in South Florida. Had to go out yesterday and it was like Africa Hot and so I wore my Sig P245 under a lightweight vest. Sometimes I'll even carry my Glock M27 in a belly bag. But that tends to hurt my lower back and that I don't need.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I guess i fall into the full size club as I carry a 5" 1911 every waking hour.I am 5-10 with a 31" waist so small size with big gun, I have 2 holsters & between the 2 can cover all situations, if dressed with a coat or vest can use my Milt Sparks Idaho Quick Mount. OWB holster this holds it tight too the body , this works 80% of time because when i am casual I always have the vest or a coat .. If I need to Dress Up, (Hardly ever) I use a Milt Sparks Summer carry , IWB with just a shirt blossomed out to conceal the grip.. works well & once you get used to carrying a full size you will not even notice it. I think we as the person carrying sometime worry too much if the gun is visible. Most people are not even looking for a gun, So you can get away with the occasional print as long as it is not blatent.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawg
    I think we as the person carrying sometime worry too much if the gun is visible. Most people are not even looking for a gun, So you can get away with the occasional print as long as it is not blatent.
    Definitely. I went out last night to Costco and wore my G23 in my K&D paddle holster with a black T-shirt that was just a bit too tight for my likeing. I was very conscious of the slight print, but my wife said it was fine and nobody ran screaming from the store, so I guess she was right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links