Carrying Big Guns

Carrying Big Guns

This is a discussion on Carrying Big Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of CCL holders here mention they carry full size guns, like 1911's, larger SIG's and Glocks or Ruger P series. I've ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Big Guns

Carrying Big Guns

I see a lot of CCL holders here mention they carry full size guns, like 1911's, larger SIG's and Glocks or Ruger P series. I've often wondered how a person conceals a large gun on a daily basis. I can see individuals who wear coats or other long, loose fitting clothes (especially in winter), but what about the person who lives in a hot climate or can't wear loose clothes due to their job?

I have 1911's, Rugers, CZ's and other larger frame handguns and find it very difficult to comfortably carry and conceal them unless I'm wearing something like a raincoat or other loose coat, but living in TX, it looks a bit odd wearing a coat in July or a raincoat when it hasn't rained in three months. How do you guys that carry larger guns do it under these conditions, assuming you do?
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    to start we would need to know how you normaly dress, its kinda hard to make any recomendations without knowing your normal dress , concealing full size handguns in a short sleved shirt and tie is a bit diff from concealing as a construction worker LOL

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    RA, I think you may have commented on my use of the Houston holster and its concealability. I currently have a similar paddle on the way for a PT 24/7, full size .40. I'll take some pictures of me with it on. All I wear to conceal it is a T-thirt. You'd be surprised. You just gotta make sure your T-shirt isn't skin tight. But, since you live in a hot climate, you probably don't wear tight clothes anyway. As for your job and having to wear tight clothes....Deep IWB or ankle holster seems about the only options.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Assistant Administrator
    Robert - yep I am one of the ''large and heavy'' club!

Well this time of year of course no prob's at all - open padded shirt is the norm for cover. In summer tho - hot and humid, I want minimal clothing (I sweat buckets!) but do find my Smith & Alexander vest ideal. It is plenty long enough, and as I bike a lot does not really (IMO) ''shout'' carry! My NAA mini lives in front right pocket and small weight of that also helps with ''wind blow'' aspects.

Equally tho I can put on a very lightweight short sleeve denim shirt and get similar cover, and not forgetting real large T-Shirts - which can also do the trick.

I have posted pics of my rig - expect you saw them. Well - even OWB I still have gun tight to self and about only give-away would be base of grips if I bend wrong.

I admit I am lucky in as much as - work from home most of time and so going out is relatively intermittent but that said - my choice is carry piece first - then finding a way to conceal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry a full size Glock 21 or 22 most of the time. I wear an IWB Don Hume, and a tshirt over it. Woks fine, so long as I don't bend from the waist. It takes getting used to. I've found that an underarmor knockoff shirt is nice to have on under your tshirt. Really, it's a matter of determination and the proper equipment for your build.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

I carry a Fullsize 1911 in a Max-Con V IWB holster. In the summer all I usually use for cover is a one size larger t-shirt. I find the extra cant on the Max-Con V keeps the grip from printing, except when bending over.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Walther P99 full size in a PagerPal or on my Beltster. Gotta dress around the piece to some extent.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Brian45
    I carry a Fullsize 1911 in a Max-Con V IWB holster. In the summer all I usually use for cover is a one size larger t-shirt. I find the extra cant on the Max-Con V keeps the grip from printing, except when bending over.

Same setup for me. It's always summer here. I'm not very big either.

I prefer to wear a tucked in t-shirt between me and the weapon, whether IWB or OWB. Then I cover it with an untucked heavy weight shirt. I found a deal on heavy cotton, long sleeve button downs at Dillard's last Spring and stocked up heavily. The trick for me is using a stiff enough cover shirt that it doesn't conform to the gun, dark colors and patterns also tend to hide printing better - I wear darker colors but avoid patterns ... guess I'll never make it as a Parrothead.

Other than that, a good carry rig with a quality gunbelt and the problem is solved.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I carry a G21, definitely a full-size pistol, in a C-Tac IWB @8:30. I am of average size and weight, and find no difficulty concealing it in warm weather even with only a white T-shirt. In cooler weather, I add an LL Bean vest and the pistol really disappears.

Lead Moderator
    for me its IWB, or deep tuckable with a loose t shirt or button down shirt.

I carry a 5" kimber year round,Sparks VM2, wife beater shirt with either t-shirt or light wt. button up shirt, in the summer ,long sleeve pull over shirts in the winter. I'm 6'3" 230lbs.

I carry a full size 1911 alot of the time.I use a C-TAC holster and most any of my shirts will not print.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight!

I carry full sized 1911, always wear t-shirt and vest, winter I just layer shirts and sweaters. If it gets really hot in summer I wear cargo shorts and large t-shirt.

Talking

I guess I dress 'Carhart normal', combined with 'Goodwill sales day'.

Manage to carry multiple guns winter and summer with no problem.

Primary right now is a 4" 44mag. Second is an L frame, with a J frame as bug.

6' , 170lbs---and because I am old, I look old.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links