Trigger Finger Question...Your Thoughts ?

This is a discussion on Trigger Finger Question...Your Thoughts ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Again...taken from another forum. Should you take up that trigger slack? Would that be OK when carrying a firearm with a heavy DA first trigger ...

Thread: Trigger Finger Question...Your Thoughts ?

Administrator

Question Trigger Finger Question...Your Thoughts ?

Again...taken from another forum. Should you take up that trigger slack? Would that be OK when carrying a firearm with a heavy DA first trigger pull & lots of trigger slack?
    Your Comments?
    Your Opinions?

"I noticed today while killing some time and dry firing my 220 that I have developed a habit of taking the slack out of that first DA pull during the course of drawing from concealment.

So I began to wonder, at what point should the trigger finger be placed on the trigger when practicing, trying to build muscle memory, for drawing from concealment? I recognize that gun safety dictates finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, but how much weight should I give this rule when practicing for defensive shooting?

I'm afraid that all I've done is develop a bad habit that is going to be hard to break, but when I try to keep my finger off the trigger until after my sights have lined up with my target, I feel jerky and awkward with trying to bring my finger off the frame, to the trigger, and achieve a smooth trigger pull.

How about it guys and gals? Am I facing a lot of practice to try and break this habit or as long as I keep my finger off the trigger during non-life threatening situations am I good? I'm afraid I know the answer but I wanted some more knowledgeable opinions from others. Gracias."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I noticed today while killing some time and dry firing my 220 that I have developed a habit of taking the slack out of that first DA pull during the course of drawing from concealment.
    I was trained to draw from a holster in 5 steps:

1. Strong hand attains firing grip, weak hand on abdomen.

2. Strong hand pulls gun straight up, toward armpit (trigger finger still straight at this point).

3. "Rock" gun to point muzzle forward, pivoting the firing side thumb on your ribcage) (retention position, you can fire from here if needed, if you are not going to fire from this position, trigger finger is still straight.)

4. begin extending firing hand out in front of you, meeting weak hand near you pectoral muscle.

(As you transition from step 4 to step five, you place your finger on the trigger and begin tacking up slack, and attaining a sight picture).

5. both arms extended, finger on trigger with slack taken up, ready to fire.

It's easier to demonstrate it than to try and type it out.
    With practice, it's all one fluid, quick motion.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    finger should enter the triggerguard as the gun is presented on target AFTER two handed firing grip is attained ( assuming your using both hands )

Assistant Administrator
    I'll go with sarhog and RR - when I do my practice and like you QK this is on SIG, whether carry 226 or 220 - all same.

The small moment needed for insertion of trigger finger is minute and should only be at end of presentation stage. By then it will be because pretty certainly, there is a need to fire. That means I will pull thru the entire DA pull, with probably little or no preload.

That said I could see the occasion when as we begin to take up a DA pull we have one more milli second or two during which we can back off - should this be a case for no shoot due to BG dropping gun perhaps.

I think premature trigger finger placement is a bad habit - it will be tempting to ''take up the slack'' but under extreme stress could I think lead to a premature release. I have had folks watch me in IDPA during my draw, up to and including first shot - it would seem to be about ''sarhog'' in nature.

If I start in retention then finger out straight - this is a prepared position but one from which action is still fast if needed.

This is tho just my dime/5 !
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links