Well, he asked for my opinion. Ever been there? - Page 2

Well, he asked for my opinion. Ever been there?

This is a discussion on Well, he asked for my opinion. Ever been there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; on the other hand... If you dont care that your gun savy friends and any other gun nut with a clue will laugh and berate ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, he asked for my opinion. Ever been there?

Senior Moderator
    on the other hand...

If you dont care that your gun savy friends and any other gun nut with a clue will laugh and berate you and say things llike " thats is the UGLIEST gun I've ever seen !!!" or everyone on the range stops shooting to watch how many times it will fire before it breaks, then the High Point may be the gun for you.

One things that it yells and screams out at the range is ROOKIE because only someone that has never had much dealing with guns at all will be convinced that it is the deal of a lifetime.

When they get a clue, they'll chunk it and never admit to ever owning one for fear of embarrasement...

Worrying about what other people think doesn't forward your pursuit of pragmatic self-defense.

Senior Moderator
    I guess its a good thing I dont actually "worry "about such things then..

it might raise my blood pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Keeney
    There are SOOO many better handguns than any high point. For instance, I saw a years old Taurus 38 special version of the military and police in a gun shop for 120 bucks...with a holster. That gun would still be working when the pot metal Low Point POS gun is in a pile of broken guns somewhere.
    The thing I find funniest about this is that old Tauri have a horrendous reputation on the used market, even worse than the Hi-Points.

At our local shop, they had both model 10 smith police turn ins and CZ-152 pistols WITH AMMO for less than 150 bucks. Either pistola would be a good choice for a martialist on a tight budget.
    CZ-52 isn't a gun I'd recommend to anyone other than a range toy or as a collector. Firing pin problems, decockers that discharge rounds, ball ammo only, and exotic ammo requirements.

And if they have M10 Smiths with ammo under $150, give me their number. I can sell them out here for $225 all day long.

He could probably find a Kel Tec 9mm pistol for about 175 bucks used, and it would make a decent CCW gun.
    Again, I have to laugh - when someone puts a Kel-tec as somehow "better" in quality than a Hi-Point in real terms.

Both are budget guns. Both have their issues. Both will do. Neither is pretty or without scads of detractors.

But again, there's a world of difference for someone who needs a gun now and only has a hundred bucks and when the only other options are 50% above their 'need it now' budget.'

That's the thing people seem to forget. For some folks, $100 is all they have, literally. $50 is a gulf that may take them some time to overcome for whatever reason.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Actually, I just went through much the same thing with my father. He has only ever owned a .22 H&R Sportsman 999 as far as pistols go. He was interested in a pistol for defense and asked my opinion. His criteria were as follows: Semi-auto, .45acp, a legal barrel length for hunting (>4"), and affordable. A notorious cheapskate, he considered $200 to be unreasonable for any pistol.

I tried for the longest to get him to relax on one of his requirements. He wouldn't budge. I even considered giving him my SA GI.

Then he calls me up one day and asks about a Hi-Point. I was kinda dumbfounded since it was not a brand I'd ever considered. I could tell he was fairly excited. He kept going on over the price, the warranty, and the looks of the gun.

I thought for a second about talking him out of it but I remembered that the gunstore owner where I do most of my business had said good things about them. So I encouraged him to look into them.

He started looking around for a dealer and come to find out, the plain .45 version is kinda difficult to find around his parts as they get snapped up pretty quick. He finally went to Food Giant (a local grocery store!) to find one.

When I last went home, he and I took it out to shoot. Now, it'd been a good long while since I'd been able to practice with any regularity. I moved across the state not too long ago, just graduated, and started my first professional, full-time job. So I know I'm gonna be rusty. But I'll be danged if he didn't outshoot me and did a darned good job, too. We shot from about 20 feet at some soda cans. I hit maybe 50% and shot around them the rest. He hit about 75% and was keeping all the shots to within about 1.5" of the cans.

I was really expecting a lot less out of the pistol. I'd heard the things like "it has a crappy trigger", "the spring's too heavy to easily pull the slide back", etc. I thought that apart from the weight, it was a decent enough gun, especially for $150. I honestly was surprised at just how good the trigger was. My Charles Daly 1911 lemon had a substancially worse trigger. And the thing ran through 100 rounds with absolutely no hiccups. That's not something I can say about all of the handguns I've owned or even the majority.

In short, I had worried that my dad was cheating himself out of a good thing by going the cheap route, yet again. But I think he ended up doing just fine.

Barrett

Assistant Administrator
    Barrett - good to hear a plus side - because this gun does have very mixed receptions as we know.

It still would not be my choice but if I had to go that route - seems like I could still feel I had a chance of a defence weapon.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    And he has the nerve to come back and tell me he's getting the Hi Point anyway because he can't see spending $225 on something that is worlds better. That's a fine how do you do....
    ...Ever tried to talk someone out of a gun mistake like that? Excercise in futility, or worthwhile?
    Give him a tad bit more advice....tell him to field strip it often to clean it.
    He might have a few feed problems after that and then you could tell him I TOLD YOU SO!
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Lately I have been buying firearms that is known for having good customer service and warranty, along with having a good reputation.
    You don't need to spend big bucks either. H&R, Marlin, are nice examples if your looking for a rifle. Defencive weapons are abit more important. I will live if my rifle messes up when hunting. Someday I would love to own a Wilson 1911, right now S A is everything I need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links