7 shot revolvers : are easy to carry

This is a discussion on 7 shot revolvers : are easy to carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard a lot of "bad" about how big the wheels are on 7 shot .357 revolvers, how uncomfortable, create bulges too big & ...

Thread: 7 shot revolvers : are easy to carry

7 shot revolvers : are easy to carry

I have heard a lot of "bad" about how big the wheels are on 7 shot .357 revolvers, how uncomfortable, create bulges too big & too obvious to carry concealed, too heavy when loaded, etc.

I bought a Taurus 617 (.357) anyway because I wanted one, like the gun, like the 7 shots, etc. I figured if it was too big, bulgy, etc. then I would keep handy as a home protection gun.

However, I got a IWB Don Hume holster for it.... and I find it "very" comfortable and easy to carry. There is no extra "bulge", it isn't too heavy at all, etc. In fact, it is easier to carry (in terms of bulges, etc) than an XD and similar guns. I find it as easy to carry as the KelTec PF9 (also 7 shots) but has the umph of a .357, although I would not consider it a pocket gun by any means. I can't really figure out what people were talking about at all..... they are "easy" to carry, carry well, and it is very comfortable compared to other guns. I find it a very easy gun to carry.. IWB.

It also shoots great and has really good accuracy, as well and handles .357 mags with much less kick than I expected.

2. Remove Ads

bae
    I haven't had any trouble carrying the S&W 8-shot N-frame in an IWB or pancake rig.

Congrats on your purchase. I bought a 617 a couple of weeks ago - will start carrying mine OWB in a few weeks...waiting on a FIST holster for it.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I used to have a Taurus 617. It was a nice gun, but brought back bad memories after having to use it in self defense two years ago, so I sold it. The 7 shot capacity is what stood out to me, and it was my first revolver.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I carry a 3" GP100 on the strongside and a 2 1/4" SP101 on the weakside.

The GP100 is in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II and the SP resides in a Kramer MSP Paddle. Welcome to discovering that wheelguns aren't too hard to hide.

I really like the .357 Magnum cartridge too, especially in the 125 Grain JHP loadings.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I have heard a lot of "bad" about how big the wheels are on 7 shot .357 revolvers, how uncomfortable, create bulges too big & too obvious to carry concealed, too heavy when loaded, etc.

I bought a Taurus 617 (.357) anyway because I wanted one, like the gun, like the 7 shots, etc. I figured if it was too big, bulgy, etc. then I would keep handy as a home protection gun.
    It also-]
    I have 2 seven shot wheelies, a 2-1/2" S&W 686 and a Taurus 617. I don't find either gun to be exceedingly bulgy or uncomfortable to carry.

For many, the cylinders too 'fat' to reside comfortably in an IWB (and even a OWB) holster and they are rather vocal about it. The 'flater' profile of an automatic is, for most, easier to carry and more comfy.

I've found a wheel gun does ride and feel considerably 'diffrent' but not any more uncomfortable than an auto. Having said that, I've never carried wheel gun IWB either.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Are the cylinders fatter, or did they just drill more holes in the same cylinder and change the pawl to have a shorter stroke?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

On the 617, the cylinder is obviously bigger, but is in proportion to the rest of the frame. And despite being what Taurus labels as a compact, it is not what I'd call a small gun. It's built on the Tracker frame, which IMO is more of a Med...much bigger than a J, slightly less than a K. I do see that the spaces between chambers is less than say a Speed Six. I'd be curious to compare to the newer six shot Rossi 462's, which I believe is the same frame size as the 617b2.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

I have a 386 Mountain Lite Smith that holds 7 rounds and its a dream to carry.

I have a 7 shot German made Armnuis 32 long revolver.
    Was my grandfather's off duty gun when he was in the FBI.
    I do not use it for carry or shoot it much.
    Attached Images

Couldn't Agree More

I bought a S&W 642 5 shot snubby a few months ago and then 5 weeks ago a Taurus 617. I honestly like the extra weight on the .357 hanging there on my belt. I can hide it completely being 5'6" and about 130lbs just as easy as the smaller .38. Great gun all in all.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

I carry my SS DAO 617 IWB, no problems. At times I have carryed it in a back pocket. A couple of J Frames as backup and I'm good to go.

Links