Glock, XD, or S&W M&P?

This is a discussion on Glock, XD, or S&W M&P? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paul45 I have owned, currently own or have shot all the guns mentioned here plus many more. My suggestion is go to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock, XD, or S&W M&P?

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    I have owned, currently own or have shot all the guns mentioned here plus many more. My suggestion is go to a rental range and try them. Then pick the one that feels the best to YOU and the one YOU feel most confident in shooting. It is a personal choice once you have a selection of quality firearms.

+ 1
    I really wanted to get a Glock .40 because of its reputation. I went to a range and rented .40's in the same class. XD40, G23, and a M&P 40c.

I was most accurate with the M&P, it shot the softest, and it also felt the most comfortable in my hands.

Everyone is different, I would rather carry a pistol that makes me the most accurate. Each gun has its positives and negatives, you need to figure it out for yourself.

2. Remove Ads

I have posted before my preferences so:

The safety issue is not really an issue as someone said if you are gripping the gun the safety is off. Only if you have small kids and make a habit of leaving your gun around will this come into play.

Glocks are great guns I personally do not like the grip and just something aesthetically unpleasing. While not important makes me move on.

M&P, another fine handgun but I would not carry due to the magazine disconnect. If for the range, absolutely. The mushy trigger is a $50 easy fix.

XD, my favorite in this price range especially for the grip. Customer service is as good as S&W which is as good as it gets.

1911s, I really love however since I came to handguns late in life, not growing up with a Colt in place of my baby rattle, the manual safety is an issue for me in a possible stress situatioin. I prefer a gunthat just goes bang.

My true preference in hot weather is a H&K P2000sk but that is about $200 above the others and not the best choice for everyone. When not carrying the P2000sk i use a SIG 226/220.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    M&P, another fine handgun but I would not carry due to the magazine disconnect. If for the range, absolutely. The mushy trigger is a $50 easy fix.

Are you aware that you don't have to get one with the mag disconnect? They make both types.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Are you aware that you don't have to get one with the mag disconnect? They make both types.
    I think that the mag lock feature is no longer available at all. The mag drop issues involved the mags being made out of material that is no longer used. There are no current issues with the M&P that I can find anywhere. This is utterly reliable, accurate, the smallest and lightest 45 around (compact). Thumb safety optional too. Do a google search on the M&P 45 compact and see what you can find.

I had looked at the same models a few years ago... I shoot the XD and the M&P on the same day, and found I personally like the M&P over the XD... then I read a lot and put in similar posting to a number of forums, and then I shoot the Glock... I bought the Glock... personally I prefer the Glock's safeties, feel, reliability, light weight, and years of experience making a great gun... I've also learned that even if some parts were to break I could still operate these guns.

The Glock 19 is a fantastic gun... great size to capacity, and light weight on top of that... you might consider the Glock 26 (the Glock 19's little brother)... I carry the Glock 19, but find myself carrying the Glock 26 more and more... The Glock 26 is a very accurate and reliable subcompact.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links