Glock, XD, or S&W M&P?

Glock, XD, or S&W M&P?

This is a discussion on Glock, XD, or S&W M&P? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I'm looking at options. I have just recently renewed my CCW, and after many years have passed and many pounds added, I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock, XD, or S&W M&P?

Glock, XD, or S&W M&P?

Hey all,

I'm looking at options. I have just recently renewed my CCW, and after many years have passed and many pounds added, I have found that my previous method of carry may not be practical now. I find that my Para-Ordinance P-13 is now a bit uncomfortable to carry IWB (Galco holster)(the Dunlop gets in the way). Even though my macho says I need to stay with a 1911 style .45, my reasonable, thinking mind says to go with what works.

I have been looking seriously at a Glock 19. I know that the 9mm doesn't quite have the oomph that the .45 does, but I have always been blessed with being an excellent shot, and can hit what I am aiming at without even thinking about it, so I don't think the decrease in caliber is much of an issue. The problem I have is the safeties with the Glock. I really think a grip safety is needed, therefore, the XD may be the ticket. The S&W M&P is also an option.

Looking for any and all input on the quality, performance, carryability (is that a word?), of any of these weapons (real life experience only please, not hearsay or conjecture).

I've also bee considering a Kimber Ultra CDP II, staying with the .45, but with a much smaller, somewhat lighter gun(and not damaging my macho).

I would appreciate all input, positive or negative, on all of the weapons mentioned, and on all methods of carry for all of them.

Lon

Edit, this in in AZ, so extreme heat and minimal clothing is an issue
    Last edited by Teufelhunde; September 7th, 2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: more info

Out of those 3 I'd probably go with the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in .40 S&W.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

With enough practice and confidence, the glock's safeties are very easy and reliable.

I carry a G27 myself and have no problems with it!

In all honesty, if you have a problem with the Glock's lack of a grip safety, you will have the same problem with the S&W M&P. It doesn't have one either. That just leaves the XD as a possibility. If you do your part, the safeties on the Glocks and M&Ps are just fine.

For the record, I'm a Glock guy. I have 4 and use the 34 for IDPA. That said, I'm going to get the new M&P 9 Pro this week and give it a try for IDPA as I have heard a lot of good things about the M&P line.

They are all good pistols and my only real advice is to rent them all and see which one you like the best.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

I've got both the XD (9MM & .45ACP in Service size) & M&P .40.

Since you prefer a grip safety, the XD is the only way to go. The XD9 Service is a bit larger than the Glock 19, but smaller than the 17. I've put over 13,000 rounds through mine. The only problem I've ever had with it is with Wolf Ammo. More than 250 rounds, and I'd get a couple of FTE's. I can push the round count past 1,000 on any cheap brass cased ammo though. Never had a problem with Monarch, WWB, PMC, S&B etc. I've only had to replace one mag spring so far, though I'm close to needing a new recoil spring.

The .45 XD Service is a about 1/16" larger in each dimension than the XD9, but still conceals well IWB under a T-shirt. The main hang-up on concealment is the grip; it's a bit longer, so the butt will stick out more. 13+1 .45ACP in an easy to shoot gun if you can pull it off though.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

This is just my observance of the grip safety issue. Your hand will always be on the grip - so in 99.99% of AD, the grip safety would have no effect. It's the finger on the trigger or something being caught in the trigger. Now if you can holster your gun without depressing the grip safety - you might have a "safety". Just about any way you hold the XD, the grip safety will be deactivated or depressed. Get a Glock.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Get a glock ! I 've put over a 1000 rounds of wolf through mu glock 17 with no issues .This is one of my carry pistol along with a glock 26.If you buy a glock you will find you will have more than one as they just grow on you.

I was asking myself this same question about a week ago. I went to my local gun shop and rented all three, all in .45. I personally liked the XD and the Glock (30). However I did not like the M&P at all, it did not feel as "smooth" as the other two did when I shot them. I would recommend trying all three for your self. But I personally ended up going with a Glock 30SF with night sights.
    NRA Member

I have owned all three and they are all great guns. The grip safety is something I think you will eventually cease to care about the more comfortable you get with yourself and your guns. Of them all I like the M&P the most as it feels great in the hand and shoots just as well. The Glocks are also great guns and I carry mine frequently as well.

My advice is hold them all and shoot them if you can. If you can't shoot them then pick the one that FEELS the best in your hand.

Happy Shopping

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

The 3 safeties on the Glock are very reliable. All are disengaged with a completely rearward pull of the trigger and re-engaged when you release the trigger.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I've used the Glocks and dont like them at all as far as grip and comfort. I dont shoot them as well either.

Of course, thos who like them, as above, they will say they are better than the XD. There is no substantial proof of that at all. XD's are a lot newer than Glocks and aftermarket parts are not as common but it has proved itself a very dependable gun.

Choose what you like best and shoot best and call it good!

I hear there is nothing wrong with todays 9mm SD ammo, especially in the newer hollow points, but I still like the .45acp. Those same newer hollow points are also available in .45acp, so why choose smaller if you like it bigger!

I carry my XD45 Service 4". I will admit, its heavy and its a big gun. Its probably not the best choice if you have specific dress code you have to follow if you will carry at work. If you dont have to tuck a shirt, wear dress casual or any kind of utility belt, you can manage the Service XD45 just fine.

I also have the Dunlop Disease (for now but working on it) and I find the CTac MTac Minotaur with a Beltman bullhide belt makes it very sturdy and comfortable.

I wont argue the safety issue. Some like the grip safety, others dont think its a benefit. However, some Glocks have been reported to go off without the users finger being on the trigger (sticks, pens, other objects getting in the trigger guard somehow) but I wont say its all true.

XD 45's now are available with a thumb safety so that might be a choice for you.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a M&P in .40 and love it. This is my primary gun. Softest shooting .40 I've ever shot, feels good in the hands, and accurate. I can't shoot Glocks worth a darn (more felt recoil, uncomfortable grip). I prefer the XD much more than the Glocks, but less than the M&P. The new XD-M looks very nice as well, and feels good in the hand. Maybe someday I'll get it.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Stick with a 1911 if that is what you like. a 4" bobtailed or a smaller officers frame is eaiser to conceal than any of the others YMMV, but I was carrying a M&P9c that I thought was perfection, until I had my Springfield SS Champion bobtailed. What better than a .45 with a grip saftey and thin slide.

I have the G19, M&P9C and XD45C.
    The G19 is a very accurate shooter and a reputation of being very reliable.
    The XD45C shoots really well and w/the 10rd mag is virtually the same size as the G19 but a little heavier.
    I have the XS Big Dot sights on the XD so it's more difficult to compare it to the target shooting of my other 2 guns.
    The M&P9C is a sweet shooter and very accurate also.
    Of the 3 it might be slightly more concealable as it is a little smaller.
    Not sure if this helps as you can see we all have our opinions. However you'll probably wind up with another gun down the road anyway.
    "Never say never." I did about 2 guns ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    This is just my observance of the grip safety issue. Your hand will always be on the grip - so in 99.99% of AD, the grip safety would have no effect. It's the finger on the trigger or something being caught in the trigger. Now if you can holster your gun without depressing the grip safety - you might have a "safety". Just about any way you hold the XD, the grip safety will be deactivated or depressed. Get a Glock.
    When reholstering put your thumb between the hammer and slide. This does several things, it removes your grip from the saftey and if that does not work and the trigger gets caught up and pressed, assuming you never engaged the thumb saftey, your thumb will stop the hammer from dropping.Safest way to go as far as I am concerned cocked and locked is by far better than all the internal safteies that do nothing when the trigger is pressed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links