Picked up a Kahr p45 today.

This is a discussion on Picked up a Kahr p45 today. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a " slightly used " Kahr P45 today , it came with a Rosin IWB, a DeSantis Pancake , a no name kydex ...

Thread: Picked up a Kahr p45 today.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Picked up a " slightly used " Kahr P45 today , it came with a Rosin IWB, a DeSantis Pancake , a no name kydex iwb to fit my p9 and two 50 round boxes of ammo , one ball and one remmington 230 hp. The round count of the pistols use is slightly under 100 rounds so i dont think i did too bad for just a bit over $500. Ill see if i can get time to both shoot it , and take some pics in the next few days .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

No shooting today , in fact not much leave the house . I kinda hurt myself ( old back injury nothing new ) yesterday installing a hot water heater for the dad in law and today i can barely walk . I dont hold out hope that the pain meds and general attitude will allow pics today either ( due to my resolve to take " real " pics with lighting ect lol ) . However i will post a " fondle " report rather than a shooting session .

Things i like about the p45 ..... Weight , its light for the caliber as are my other p series . Its a fairly small .45 tho by no means the smallest we own ( that title goes to the detonics which is smaller in every demention except width ) . As to size i had occation to lay it up against a buddys " pro carry " Kimber and the kimber is nicely " melted where the Kahr has a bevel cut that does about the same thing cheaper , the Kahr i have has a poly bore and the kimber an old style rifled bore where maby i should not shoot the lead reloads that the kimber can . The pistols are so close its funny , My p45 would not fit a new 1911 holster , but would an older one ( both leather and both quality, its due to stretch of leather when used hard ). His beavertail stuck out further than the frame on the kahr , but his slide was thinner , his pistol tho when you add grips was wider . Choice , well its all about action ( tho his years old kimber which has been carried hard is shedding nickle on the slide ) If you want single action well there you go , its some 1911 all the way . If tho like me you are grounded in " LE " pistols the Kahr is not a bad choice and is about as thin as you can get a dao .45.
    Things i dont like are

The checkering is sharper than i remember it being on any of my 9mm Kahrs , its sharp to the point that it displaces my callouses and on a good grip for just a few minutes can hurt ( a bit of emery cloth will cure this ) . The slide stop is razor edged ( common for kahr ) and again a bit of time with a file will cure . In fondling the pistol does not always like to cycle the first round out of the mag ( again common with a new kahr ) . You can hand cycle rounds all day , and the last round ( if loaded ) wont reliably eject ( a loaded round ) because the ejection port is slightly too small ( anyone else remember older colt 1911s ? lol ) . The trigger pull is over long , and i am comparing the reset point to other kahrs . It is smooth with stacking to the end ( the stacking does not worry me because Kahr triggers tend to get better with use and as stated this pistol is not broken in much less used in like my p9 or pm9 ) . However the trigger is not as long IMHO as the reset on a J frame smith revolver , and on dry fire the sights dont move from a painted nail head across the room ( yes i have a contrasting colored dry fire nail to keep the pistols pointed safely away from my family, neighbors , the play room , or consumer electronics as i fumble firearms at home ) . Did i mention that i could scale fish with the moulded grip bumps , and could use the trigger pull as a buffer for a pull rope for heavy equipment ? I mean damm a good grip is vital , and a safe gun might have a long pull just like a revolver , but damm Kahr in this case took both too far . The Mags i have will both " almost " hold 7 rounds , but not quite , and honestly i cannot see why not given the space they stick out of the grip and the plastic base plate . I have read ( and looked ) that one might modify a 1911 mag to work in the Kahr with the sole cravat that it wont likely lock the slide . I plan to play with this since Kahr mags are spendy and you can pick up good mags for a 1911 for 1/4 to 1/3 the price . I might yet be missing something but when i mod a mag i really dont see why i could not mod a follower to kick the kahr slide release . Now dont get me wrong i wont carry a modded mag , but if i can make them work for the " range " or practice mags , well then ill need one more factory mag rather than 4 more , and i just looked around and discovered i had over $200 tied up in HK p7 mags lately. If i can recycle a couple of 1911 mags its all to the good , and i only have 30 or 35 of them that i have found so far with another 10 to 20 packed away .
    This pistol WILL work , its too light and compact not to make it work . It likely ( well almost certainly ) will not replace my p9 for everyday carry . However it is likely to be the pistol that when i am out of town , and answer the door in the hotel for the pizza delivery will come out if needed ( i really like some .45 ballistics for " in house " shooting if it comes to that ) .

Oh and we will see if it matters because my " new " used Kahr p45 is first year production , it is a SA0xxx serial . I have had good luck with early Kahrs in the past tho so we will see .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Congrats; I have a Kahr and love it, no problems at all.
    Just remember the tolerances on Kahrs are tight (quality) and be sure to put at least 200rds through it before trusting your life to it.
    Although I have never had a FTF or FTL or anything from new. (Winchester WB and Corbon)
    Guns are the teeth of the people.
    Political agendas are nothing more than tooth decay.

mmargotta its hardly my first kahr lol . As of now i am playing with the p45 , i am carrying it , but i have a proven 2k+ round PM9 that i back it up with ( back to carrying a " new york reload but what the heck for the size weight ) . As stated this p45 has less than 100 rounds thro it , i would not trust any pistol untill i had 500 rounds for me to learn about it , and it to " seat " . I farm and ranch so i get almost no range time on formal targets , but i do carry all the time and get some informal targets , like say predators , coons ( 4 legged foranyone who wonders ) ect. Point is that untill yesterday i had not shot my Kahr p9 for over 30 days , i had not cleaned it in that time , When tested yesterday well it run ( never mind the target ) . The P45 well ill post as i find , frankly given today it had best run , If not its gone and ill get another similar sized pistol .

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Redneck Repairs,
    I found that the Hogue Handall solved the sharp grip problem well and for only a few dollars.
    This is the small size.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    mmargotta its hardly my first kahr lol . As of now i am playing with the p45 , i am carrying it , but i have a proven 2k+ round PM9 that i back it up with ( back to carrying a " new york reload but what the heck for the size weight ) . As stated this p45 has less than 100 rounds thro it , i would not trust any pistol untill i had 500 rounds for me to learn about it , and it to " seat " . I farm and ranch so i get almost no range time on formal targets , but i do carry all the time and get some informal targets , like say predators , coons ( 4 legged foranyone who wonders ) ect. Point is that untill yesterday i had not shot my Kahr p9 for over 30 days , i had not cleaned it in that time , When tested yesterday well it run ( never mind the target ) . The P45 well ill post as i find , frankly given today it had best run , If not its gone and ill get another similar sized pistol .
    LOL, sorry your 2d post got in before I had gotten my coffee.
    Guns are the teeth of the people.
    Political agendas are nothing more than tooth decay.

Links