VCD Grips Review

VCD Grips Review

This is a discussion on VCD Grips Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; David Barnes caught my eye when he first posted photos of his VCD (Vaya Con Dios) grips a few months ago. I'm always one who ...

Thread: VCD Grips Review

VCD Grips Review

David Barnes caught my eye when he first posted photos of his VCD (Vaya Con Dios) grips a few months ago. I'm always one who loves new things, but am a vicious skeptic at the same time. We wrote back and forth a few times, and I let him know I had a Springfield TRP that I'd like to check his grips out on. It's the only 1911 with a magwell I own, and thought it would be a nice trial for his extreme grips. At the time, he didn't offer a set for a magwell, so I waited. Last month he contacted me about his ability to do a set for me. They came in and I finally got a chance to put them to the test.

If you're looking for a pretty set of grips, these are NOT them. They remind me of an old bulldog...so ugly they're pretty. I don't know how he melts the surface down, but it is almost the grippiest surface I've ever felt. The craters are even, but very aggressive. He includes a piece of sandpaper and instructions to smooth them out according to your tastes. I didn't touch the surface at all, but did slick off the bottom edge to match my magwell.

On the range the grip they provide is amazing. I have fairly tough hands and am used to shooting with both Davidson's and VZ Grips' most aggressive patterns. Neither compare with the hold the VCD's provide. These aren't for sissy hands. Here in Arizona, I sweat profusely. These grips provided non-slip hold no matter how wet they got. After a break, I donned a set of shooting gloves to feel the difference. Magic. If you wear gloves, these grips may be the ones for you. For a tactical or law enforcement scenario, they might be the ticket. Extreme hold without the pain.

The one drawback I found was carrying them under a shirt without something between me and the gun. Not a big deal since I always wear a t-shirt or undershirt while carrying. If this is an issue, it's a simple matter to smooth the left panel out some with the sandpaper.

These are a unique feel. For someone looking for an aggressive hold, the VCD's might just be the cat's meow. While they are not for everyone, if you are looking for something that really gets the job done, they may be it.

Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

OOPS...
    Contact info is vcdgrips@gmail.com
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Those look like "something", alright. Do you know what they are made from? Plastic or more along the lines of G10?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

The grips are made of a nylon and glass filled polymer. they are highly resistant to common solvents and possess great tensile strength Though "fuggly", they really do work well. Before I started selling them, I tested with lots of LEOS, IDPA/IPSC shooters and other MIL and Govt types. All agreed that they are some really grippy grips.

JD
    Administrator
    What's the price tag on them?

My standard grips as shown below in black and brown with a TAPERED bottom are 35.00 shipped CONUS.

The flat bottom/magwell grip AS SHOWN ABOVE in az husker's post is 45.00 shipped CONUS. The higher price is a reflection of the significant cost difference between the tapered base grip and the flat bottomed grip. I would love to locate a source for flat bottom polymer grips that was less expensive so I could maintain a 35.00 price point across the board. I have yet to be successful.

I can get the flat bottom grip in Black, OD Green and Coyote Brown.

Please pm or email me at vcdgrips@gmail.com with any questions.
    Attached Images

Bobtail Cut

Sponsored Links