Single-action revolvers for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Single-action revolvers for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bae I LIKE it! You can bring a gun AND a knife to a knifefight, or a gunfight, or whatever... Gonna take ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Single-action revolvers for concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I LIKE it!
    You can bring a gun AND a knife to a knifefight, or a gunfight, or whatever...

Gonna take quite the custom holster, though!

- OS

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Well, back onto the topic - some rare few folks still do carry a cowboy gun concealed for self defense purposes.

Some custom holster makers still do make concealed carry shoulder rigs for them.

I have seen recent offerings by some rig makers but, don't remember exactly which makers still do.

Usually the shootin' irons have been modified a bit with (at least) a shorter barrel.

I do remember reading some gun ragazine articles about some folks getting the Ruger hog legs tricked out for concealed carry.

If you are really interested in carrying a cowboy gun in a shoulder holster or concealed then find a copy of a great book called PACKING IRON and you can get some design ideas for a vintage SAA shoulder rigs and other various carry.

Whatever floats your boat "Pardner" - and as long as you can really make that first shot count.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I have been a CAS shoot for over 20 years and my par time to draw and fire 5 rds with 100% hit on a 5 steel target at 5 yards is around 2.5 seconds. using a 45 cal Colt.
    That's really impressive - better than the vast majority of folks could do with modern firearms.

My only question is this: Can you do it one handed? Weak handed?

And if you have trained to be that fast and accurate with an SA gun, imagine what you could do with similar time and dedication on an inherently faster platform...
    marcclarke likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

No, I wouldn't choose a SA for EDC. They have thier place, mine are usually with me while in the deeper woods......always carry a 'snake charmer'.
    I wouldn't feel undergunned with one as a HD firearm either, but not an EDC.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    That's really impressive - better than the vast majority of folks could do with modern firearms.

My only question is this: Can you do it one handed? Weak handed?

And if you have trained to be that fast and accurate with an SA gun, imagine what you could do with similar time and dedication on an inherently faster platform...
    Exactly. Opfor states the case precisely.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I can handle a single action Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk pretty well. I'm fast & accurate as I do a lot of SASS / CAS. But, I can't wear my western rig on my hip for concealed carry. Plus that Vaquero is a heavy and bulky gun, so for concealed carry I've found there are better choices in guns and holsters. Sure the single action revolver is a great gun, but not one that lends itself well to concealed carry these days. Yes, I'm sure there are folks that do it. It would just not be my choice. I prefer my Glocks, Kahrs, S&W J frames & Keltecs.

When I sent my SP101 back to Ruger for repairs, a single action stuck in the left boot under dress slacks/loose jeans became my option.
    Steve

The San Jaun Islands don't allow you to carry efficacious firearms for self-defense? SAs are really only viable against an armed opponent when using .44mag or larger and shooting when your opponent isn't expecting it (ie., isn't shooting back.) Kinda puts "SD" in a questionable light.

If you live in bear country, that changes things a bit; otherwise, if it isn't necessity-by-circumstance, its foolish pretension.

Senior Moderator
    I have competed against guys who are as fast and accurate with a SAA as I am with a M9.

That being said I can shoot more and reload faster than they can plus as OPFOR stated I don't need 2 hands to shoot.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    I don't, but a friend of mine does. He is an avid cowboy action shooter, so his theory is why carry something different that what he puts thousands of rounds through yearly? I tend to agree with him, he can make most people cry on the range with his Colts. He likes to "race" me with my Sig on the plates; he has beaten me more than a few times.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Single actions can be shot VERY Fast by those that have the skills and practice to do it. Just like anything else. A lot of folks are surprised to see just how fast those " old cowboy" guns can shoot. Stop by a SASS CAS match sometime and see for yourself. BUT, it requires two hands. I think modern guns lend themselves far better to defensive concealed carry.

Several decades ago, when I was so much younger, my first handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I used to carry it concealed, tucked in my pants on my right hip, with the loading gate open so it caught my pants and wouldn't slide down. I also carried it tucked in my boot.

I was working my way through college then and worked the night shift at all night convenience stores. That Blackhawk got pulled quite a few times. The BG's were always wide eyed seeing that Blackhawk come out. Shooting it one handed was never a problem.

Now a days I carry a double action revolver or 1911. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a single action though. I have a nice 50th anniversary 44 Magnum Blackhawk that feels so natural in the hand.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Come on people! I frequently read of people carrying the little tiny 380's as their primary weapon (albeit mostly in the hot months) and nobody will admit to carrying a hog leg? Well, I sometimes do carry a Colt SSA for concealed carry. Mostly around the general area if I run into town to the gas station or grocery store, but sometimes when I am truly "Out and about". I can shoot it well and have confidence in the .45 Colt.

I admit that I normally carry a 1911 with two spare mags, but sometimes the old SSA feels right. Certainly better than a 9 ounce .380 with no extra mags - at least to me.

Just my opinion and I'm stickin with it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Single actions can be shot VERY Fast by those that have the skills and practice to do it. Just like anything else. A lot of folks are surprised to see just how fast those " old cowboy" guns can shoot. Stop by a SASS CAS match sometime and see for yourself. BUT, it requires two hands. I think modern guns lend themselves far better to defensive concealed carry.
    I agree with sass20485 and I also agree with the sentiments about the wisdom of carrying a more modern, lighter, compact, higher capacity platform. Even if you are FAST with a single action.

However, I have to chime in and comment about the 'it takes two hands' theory mentioned a couple times.
    I regularly shoot a 3 gun stage in CAS/SASS with 10 rounds through a lever action rifle, and 4 shots through a side-by-side shotgun, and both pistols, (5 rounds each) in the 25 second range with some movement between staged guns.
    I always shoot the pistols one-handed or what we call 'duelist'! (also means drawing the left pistol with the left hand and transitioning.)
    I am a top local competitor, but by far no where near the top of the crop in the wider circles of SASS.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't, but a friend of mine does. He is an avid cowboy action shooter, so his theory is why carry something different that what he puts thousands of rounds through yearly? I tend to agree with him, he can make most people cry on the range with his Colts. He likes to "race" me with my Sig on the plates; he has beaten me more than a few times.
    As usual Sixto is dead on, it isn't the gun itself as much as it is the shooter. For a carry weapon practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links