Single-action revolvers for concealed carry? - Page 3

Single-action revolvers for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Single-action revolvers for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by InspectorGadget As usual Sixto is dead on, it isn't the gun itself as much as it is the shooter. For a carry ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Single-action revolvers for concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    As usual Sixto is dead on, it isn't the gun itself as much as it is the shooter. For a carry weapon practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more.

It don't matter what you carry, practice makes the difference.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    The San Jaun Islands don't allow you to carry efficacious firearms for self-defense?
    We can carry pretty much whatever we want here. But that wasn't why I started this thread, I was simply curious if anyone here uses a SA revolver for their carry weapon.

SAs are really only viable against an armed opponent when using .44mag or larger and shooting when your opponent isn't expecting it (ie., isn't shooting back.) Kinda puts "SD" in a questionable light.
    I suspect the .45 Long Colt is probably a tad more effective than the .380 ACP in the Ruger LCP many folks here seem to carry, or the .38 Special out of a J-frame. To claim that using a .45 Long Colt would compromise your legal claims to self-defense is pretty ignorant. And to claim that a SA revolver isn't useful against an armed opponent shows a certain lack of historical perspective.

If you live in bear country, that changes things a bit; otherwise, if it isn't necessity-by-circumstance, its foolish pretension.
    Folks here carry J-frames, Ruger LCPs, Seecamps, Rohrbaughs, and other sub-optimal solutions. Does that make them pretentious? I hardly think so.

Administrator
    I'd take a 45LC over a .380 or .38spl anyday, the problem is finding a suitable pistol... I know they are out there, but I'd have to completly retrain for a SA platform, and I'm not willing to do that. Clearly the negatives out weigh the positives IMO.
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 9th, 2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I suspect the .45 Long Colt is probably a tad more effective than the .380 ACP in the Ruger LCP many folks here seem to carry, or the .38 Special out of a J-frame. To claim that using a .45 Long Colt would compromise your legal claims to self-defense is pretty ignorant. And to claim that a SA revolver isn't useful against an armed opponent shows a certain lack of historical perspective.
    It's pretty rare for my claims to be based in ignorance, thanks. "Shooting from ambush" is what makes my referenced scenario illegal.

Historical perspective. Gatling (or the Frenchman, whomever you believe was first) and JMB offer historical perspective also. Capacity, reloading and rounds on-target. Whatever order one wishes to view the matter, these are what generally mean success in shooting.

As I said, unless required, there aren't any reasons to use SA in an urban-defensive setting. Joe Suburb, working his SA Ruger while facing Tupac's cousin with a Glock is pretty much in the same realm as discussing whether my Bugbear can whip your Green Slime. Maybe entertaining, but of exceedingly limited practical value.

Why would one choose a defensive arm with a restrictive manual of arms? Take a SA to LFI, SI, USSA, Tactical Shooting Academy or similar and run it. I never said one couldn't, I say it's unwise and naieve.

It's pretty rare for my claims to be based in ignorance, thanks. "Shooting from ambush" is what makes my referenced scenario illegal.
    Your absurd claim(*) that: SA revolvers are only useful when:

1) .44 magnum or larger
    2) AND shooting from ambush

is unsupported by fact. And a bit of a red herring to the topic.

So good day to you.

(*)
    SAs are really only viable against an armed opponent when using .44mag or larger and shooting when your opponent isn't expecting it (ie., isn't shooting back.)

Administrator
    It boils down to training. I know for a fact my cowboy shootin buddy can/will mop the floor with the vast majority of double action shooters and is very capable of defending himself with a SA. Is it the best choice? For most of us, probably not. But for him, yeah, it is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It boils down to training. I know for a fact my cowboy shootin buddy can/will mop the floor with the vast majority of double action shooters and is very capable of defending himself with a SA. Is it the best choice? For most of us, probably not. But for him, yeah, it is.
    +1.

This speaks to the axiom, "It ain't the tool it's the man behind the tool."

I agree 100% with SIXTO's buddy's logic, "...his theory is why carry something different that what he puts thousands of rounds through yearly?" Not to mention, he can probably out shoot the vast majority of guys with 'modern' guns.

I also agree with SIXTO, for most the SA is not the best choice - unless we're going to do a lot of training with the SA.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

As I said, unless required, there aren't any reasons to use SA in an urban-defensive setting. Joe Suburb, working his SA Ruger while facing Tupac's cousin with a Glock is pretty much in the same realm as discussing whether my Bugbear can whip your Green Slime. Maybe entertaining, but of exceedingly limited practical value.

Why would one choose a defensive arm with a restrictive manual of arms? Take a SA to LFI, SI, USSA, Tactical Shooting Academy or similar and run it. I never said one couldn't, I say it's unwise and naieve.
    Now that's not being very friendly. A lot of us, bae and me included, don't live in the burbs or inner city, and don't have this Tupac fella to deal with most days. While your perspective is certainly warranted in many locations, it seems a bit presumptuous to think everyone lives in the same environment you do, or has the same level of proficiency that you do with all handguns. Some of us have the skill, experience, and common sense to know when a weapons platform is sufficient. There is a time and place for many things, including single action revolvers (and yes even little 380 autos) in a defensive role.

Administrator
    OK let's not have a show-down at High Noon in this thread.
    Try to keep it friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    On the other hand, I've seen plenty of guys who couldn't shoot their polymer frame wonder gun worth a dang either.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

I have a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag. that lives in my truck. On the farm and my rural area it's great,it is too big to carry conceled, so when going to town and such, the cw9 or 38 get's the nod. As far as shooting fast, I don't do that with my Kahr cw9 or my S&W 38, hit'n what you're shoot'n at is more important than spray'n lead, at least to me. When I shoot a double action revolver, I shoot it single action almost all of the time and it doesn't slow up the aimed rate of fire that much. The biggest advantage a double action revolver has over a single action is in reloading, there I will give them a big edge.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    On the other hand, I've seen plenty of guys who couldn't shoot their polymer frame wonder gun worth a dang either.
    Yes, there are more enough of thos to go around too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Only if you are McCloud and ride a horse to work.

Beware the man who only has one gun, he probably knows how to use it.
    The first gun I carries concealed was a Single Action 44Mag with a 5inch barrel.
    I carried it in a Kramer sholder holster. That is all I had other then a 22Mag single action and a 22lr double action. When I found a 1911 45acp I changed guns but still used the Kramer holster. I was pretty good with the single action at the time. That was 44 years ago.

Senior Moderator
    Something to think about...

Since the average gunfight is settled in 3 shots, is the disadvantage of having only 6 shots in a gun really a disadvantage?

I have several single actions and a multitude of other type handguns. Sure there are "better guns" of self defense, for nothing other than rapid reloading capability or better concealed carry attributes.

But in the big scheme of things,if one is comfortable with a single action, is it really a disadvantage or is it just supposed?

I personally know of only one man that carries a Colt .45. Like others, he is an avid cowboy shooter. He is also a former Arkansas State Pistol champion with both single, double and semi class trophies that are too numerous to mention.

No one I know would engage him in a gunfight. Not only is he accurate, but he is very quick. He can shoot as fast or faster with his single action than many can with their semi's.

I wouldn't really consider him under gunned, or outclassed.
    harleyrider1978 and KnifeGuy like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links