Single-action revolvers for concealed carry? - Page 5

Single-action revolvers for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Single-action revolvers for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you draw a single action, I assume you are planning to cock it during the draw. If the situation resolves itself without gunfire, then ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Single-action revolvers for concealed carry?

If you draw a single action, I assume you are planning to cock it during the draw. If the situation resolves itself without gunfire, then you lower your hammer on a live round. Or do you take a time out to count as you spin the cylinder to place an empty under the hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by faraim View Post
    If you draw a single action, I assume you are planning to cock it during the draw. If the situation resolves itself without gunfire, then you lower your hammer on a live round. Or do you take a time out to count as you spin the cylinder to place an empty under the hammer?
    There's no need to have an empty chamber under the hammer of a modern S/A design like the NM Blackhawk, vaquero etc... On the older colt style without a hammer block, yes you do.

A S/A revolver would be my last choice for self defense if I had other options. If it was my only option I'd make do.

I'm really not interested in the reports of speed or accuracy based upon CAS loads, unless those are what you plan to use to defend yourself from death or serious bodily harm.

no, i don't ;-)

Pb
    Writer, Soft Body Armor

Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag. that lives in my truck. On the farm and my rural area it's great,it is too big to carry conceled, so when going to town and such, the cw9 or 38 get's the nod. As far as shooting fast, I don't do that with my Kahr cw9 or my S&W 38, hit'n what you're shoot'n at is more important than spray'n lead, at least to me. When I shoot a double action revolver, I shoot it single action almost all of the time and it doesn't slow up the aimed rate of fire that much. The biggest advantage a double action revolver has over a single action is in reloading, there I will give them a big edge.
    I agree, shooting a DA/SA revolver in SA mode is more accurate for me, and if I am trying to hit the bull at the range I will do that. However, as was pointed out by my CPL instructor, using a SA trigger in a high stress SD situation could be problematic. He cited a local case several years ago where an officer had cocked his revolver as he was arresting a suspect. The perp finally complied but the officer inadvertantly shot the perp while trying to lower the hammer. The perp sued the police department and won a settlement because he was shot after ceasing to resist.

If your going to shoot SA, be aware of the light, short trigger travel.

Just because of this thread I'm going to wear my Colt Single Action Army .38-40 out and about today. It's a cold day here and it can ride beneath my coat, in a belt holster, stoked with 5 good lead SWC handloads that hit as hard as any .40 S&W ammo made. I'm walking down to my wife's office, over to the grocery store, and back by the post office. I'll walk the dog after I get back home.
    tricolordad and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by faraim View Post
    Not entirely so. You don't have to cock the hammer back when you draw it out of the holster, unless you plan to fire it immediately when you draw. Then if you cock the hammer back before it clears the holster, then you could shoot yourself. I would never recommend pulling the hammer back unless you are committed to fire. The hammer on an SA acts just like a safety does on semi-autos. But, if a situation develops as you have described, then a good shooter can and should learn to lower the hammer without incident. One should learn that skill just as any semi pistol shooter has to learn the nuances of his/her weapon.
    Byron
    "HogDoc"

It is entirely possible and workable to use a SA in a concealed carry situation. Many semi auto shooters talk about having 17 rounds, etc. However, the statistical facts are that the average self defense shooting encounter will take 2 to 3 shots, is within a few feet radius, and is over in 5 seconds. There is a slim to none chance that a typical law abiding citizen in the better parts of town in his/her daily routine will never get into an extended running gun battle with a bad guy. Bad guys don't typically want to shoot it out with anyone. First, they don't like to get shot at and second, they want to leave the scene because the cops will be on their way. Also, 3 well-placed rounds of .357 mag or 45LC out of a six shooter, hitting center mass, will for the most part discourage any further attack. Then you have 3 more for any others. Shot placement is king. As far as speed, I shoot Cowboy Action and I have seen some fellows shoot SA's about as fast as anyone could shoot a DA, and do it with deadly precision. I have concealed carried a single action cowboy gun and never felt under-gunned...and I will carry one in the future too. Never under estimate carrying a good old cowboy gun...if you know how to use it.
    Byron
    "HogDoc"

If it floats your boat then go ahead! But I won't since I have a double action that can shoot 10 and another that can shoot 7 in under 4 seconds. Try cocking pulling cocking pulling, not likely to equal that kind of offense...jmo there's probably somebody who can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Just because of this thread I'm going to wear my Colt Single Action Army .38-40 out and about today. It's a cold day here and it can ride beneath my coat, in a belt holster, stoked with 5 good lead SWC handloads that hit as hard as any .40 S&W ammo made. I'm walking down to my wife's office, over to the grocery store, and back by the post office. I'll walk the dog after I get back home.
    Thanks for reinforcing my jaded mental picture of Texans!

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    If it floats your boat then go ahead! But I won't since I have a double action that can shoot 10 and another that can shoot 7 in under 4 seconds. Try cocking pulling cocking pulling, not likely to equal that kind of offense...jmo there's probably somebody who can do it.
    I suspect Bob can: fastest shot in the world - YouTube
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Bob Munden is indeed a living legend. There are few others, if any, who can do what he does. Since I am not a Bob Munden, I choose a double action when I carry a revolver. I'm sure an adequate proficiency can be attained with a lot of practice, but I'm not willing to bet my life on it.

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar

Single actions rule!
    I carried this one for a few months........till I came to my senses!

Nice set up wheely
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

OD*
    Sweet Ruger!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Wouldn't CC with a single action revolver, but I have strapped on a .44 magnum Vaquero loaded with mid-range .44 special hard cast SWC when working around the garage late at night. Sometimes in a cross draw, other times strong side.

Many years ago, there was an escaped felon near my house one night. I live on a dead end, with several acres of woods past my house. LE helicopters were flying back and forth with spotlights that made it look like daylight in my yard. This was before I had some of the options for defense that I have now. I gave my Glock 19 to my then teenage son (and yes, he already knew how to use it), and I strapped on a Super Blackhawk and my .44 Vaquero. Under the circumstances at the time, I felt adequately armed.
    NRA Life Member

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links