Single-action revolvers for concealed carry? - Page 6

Single-action revolvers for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Single-action revolvers for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tricolordad Thanks for reinforcing my jaded mental picture of Texans! Here y'ar! Hiking with Silas, the dog and the Colt .38-40 in ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Single-action revolvers for concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Thanks for reinforcing my jaded mental picture of Texans!
    Here y'ar!

Hiking with Silas, the dog and the Colt .38-40 in the holster that was used that day back in January mentioned in post No. 65.

OD*, gasmitty, OldVet and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    If it floats your boat then go ahead! But I won't since I have a double action that can shoot 10 and another that can shoot 7 in under 4 seconds. Try cocking pulling cocking pulling, not likely to equal that kind of offense...jmo there's probably somebody who can do it.
    "Fastest" is not always the "bestest". Accuracy always trumps speed, as is so often proven in police (most recent NYPD hitting bystanders) and gang shootouts with semi autos. If a shooter diligently practices with whatever he/she chooses to carry, then they will be ready if the opportunity presents itself.
    Byron
    "HogDoc"

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I agree, shooting a DA/SA revolver in SA mode is more accurate for me, and if I am trying to hit the bull at the range I will do that. However, as was pointed out by my CPL instructor, using a SA trigger in a high stress SD situation could be problematic. He cited a local case several years ago where an officer had cocked his revolver as he was arresting a suspect. The perp finally complied but the officer inadvertantly shot the perp while trying to lower the hammer. The perp sued the police department and won a settlement because he was shot after ceasing to resist.

Interesting but not of use to me. I do not arrest people. If I draw my weapon, the decision has already been made to shoot. I will not hold a guy at weapon-point.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    In a way I think you would scare the crap out of a BG pulling out a big ole hog leg and asking him [ politely of course] to leave you alone. I had a buddy years ago that had a .44 mag
    "cowboy gun" with a 6' barrel [ don't remember the brand] and that s.o.b. was impressive in your hand.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdoc357 View Post
    "Fastest" is not always the "bestest". Accuracy always trumps speed, as is so often proven in police (most recent NYPD hitting bystanders) and gang shootouts with semi autos. If a shooter diligently practices with whatever he/she chooses to carry, then they will be ready if the opportunity presents itself.
    Take your time, quickly. ~ Wyatt Barry Stapp Earp.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Just say no...
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Single-action sixguns were state-of-the-art military weapons in their day, and will still perform today as they did then, if I do my part. My chief expects me to be armed at all times, with weapons on my "qual" list, and as I am only allowed to qualify with autos and DA revolvers, I will only occasionally tote an SA sixgun, and even then, will normally have another handgun, too. If, for some reason, I had to use an SA sixgun defensively, I would not consider myself handicapped, as the superb pointability is an advantage, and I trained myself to reload quite quickly.

After retirement, there may well be times I carry an SA sixgun by preference.

Yes, I am a Texian!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's not difficult at all to cock a SA Ruger on the draw, but unless it's a one shot-one kill affair, there a lot better firearms for follow-on shots. But that .41 Mag Blackhawk would make a very impressive first shot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

why?

Ill be honest, I carry a Uberti 45 long colt SAA revolver as my CCW. It has a 2.5 inch barrel and its model is called store keeper I believe. I've never had to put it into action but have had to unholster it during an altercation. It got really quiet in the room and the sub decided he want no part of a big man with a cowboy gun. Yes I understand that it doesn't hold many rounds, its slower than Christmas to reload, but if a guy needs more than six rounds of long colt to take him down then well I must be fighting the hulk. My 45 has stopped 300 lb pigs with one round in full charge. So a little punk trying to rob a convienient store really doesn't stand a chance in hell. Plus come court time after a shooting, well sir I don't believe that a single action 45 constitutes me looking for trouble.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, mhall (you might want to introduce yourself in the new members section).

I see nothing wrong with carrying a SA revolver, and at one time was actually seriously contemplating finding an IWB rig for my Vaquero. The balance is perfect and cocking while drawing is a natural movement.

For now, I just have too many other options that are lighter, and have more fire power. Some day when I'm retired on my farm, it'll be part of my daily OC apparel.

New Member Array harleyrider1978's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelyfun101 View Post

Single actions rule!
    I carried this one for a few months........till I came to my senses!
    Its all Ive ever carried was a 3 inch 44/40 single action colt sherrifs model. I carry it in a homemade leather cross draw rig easily concealed. I can hit proficiently 2 inch by 4 inch targets with it at 60 feet. I shoot on average 500-1000 rounds a month. Its the first shot that counts,anything else is a waste of lead. Ive learned thru the years to draw it left handed or normal crossdraw style and effeciently hit targets with both hands. You shoot one handed not 2 handed. The fit of a colt is artwork in the hand. Ive had to use 45 auto 1911s in seervice along with 9mm barettas. My choise was always back to a revolver. Its steady fast and accurate beyond belief. It has the knock down power you need and in a small package. I dont know anyone who is going into battle with a single action but I would as my side arm because im that good with it. Auto's have the bad habit of comming off target to easily from the slide actions,single actions dont. But with any weapon its practice and more practice to become expert with it. Ive had 33 years experience with my single action and wouldnt trade it for the world. High capacity armament isnt worth a hoot except to scare people with. Becoming an accurate sharp shooter with your single action ends a fray the first shot. Somebody spoke of shooting from ambush, any body carrying concealed is shooting from ambush and thats the entire motivation behind CCL laws. So the bad guys dont know whos packing. You want to be sitting or standing and some idiot decides to start shooting,your gonna draw and drop the $%$##%$! Right. Of course you want the advantage and thats what concealed carry is! ADVANTAGE

I bought the little birdshead 45 acp pictured : I still carry the thing. AA mernickle ps6 hides it, and it packs better than my 625. Accurate and fast, and plenty of power stoked with 255 swc's at 850. Reloading what you shoot if possible. But I can dump and fill with tuff strips in 6 seconds. I LOVE that little birdshead. I carry a wide variety of weapons ( 1911, 625 JM, Blackhawk in 45 colt) and the little vaquero, and I compete with all of them ( cowboy action or IPSC). The thumbusters feel the best and are fastest to the first shot. One should carry what feels best and what one is the most practiced and confident in.
    That weapon is as sexy and cool in real life as it is in the pictures!
    Jason
    gun_bushido likes this.

I have to say.... Hello and a bunch more....AND a great story to boot :) I PROMISE

Quote Originally Posted by harleyrider1978 View Post
    Its all Ive ever carried was a 3 inch 44/40 single action colt sherrifs model. I carry it in a homemade leather cross draw rig easily concealed. I can hit proficiently 2 inch by 4 inch targets with it at 60 feet. I shoot on average 500-1000 rounds a month. Its the first shot that counts,anything else is a waste of lead. Ive learned thru the years to draw it left handed or normal crossdraw style and effeciently hit targets with both hands. You shoot one handed not 2 handed. The fit of a colt is artwork in the hand. Ive had to use 45 auto 1911s in seervice along with 9mm barettas. My choise was always back to a revolver. Its steady fast and accurate beyond belief. It has the knock down power you need and in a small package. I dont know anyone who is going into battle with a single action but I would as my side arm because im that good with it. Auto's have the bad habit of comming off target to easily from the slide actions,single actions dont. But with any weapon its practice and more practice to become expert with it. Ive had 33 years experience with my single action and wouldnt trade it for the world. High capacity armament isnt worth a hoot except to scare people with. Becoming an accurate sharp shooter with your single action ends a fray the first shot. Somebody spoke of shooting from ambush, any body carrying concealed is shooting from ambush and thats the entire motivation behind CCL laws. So the bad guys dont know whos packing. You want to be sitting or standing and some idiot decides to start shooting,your gonna draw and drop the $%$##%$! Right. Of course you want the advantage and thats what concealed carry is! ADVANTAGE
    I was just googling "CCW SA Revolvers" and came across this site and ....subsequently found this topic. Let me first start by saying...first post .... I am a ScoutMedic (Retired) and yes I went to both schools. I no longer have a huge gun collection as over the years I have come to realize ...if the SHTF happens ...you can carry only so much. I am an avid shooter, I reload with a Dillon 650 , I am a certified NRA firearms instructor...and up to 1 year ago I would shoot at 25 yards, 100rds 10, 10 round strings each string with 1 reload for a total score of 500 (I was middle of the pack with my fellow shooters and averaged 485) every Friday and Saturday...........and I have seen combat. I just wanted to establish I am not some "yahoo"...

I have dwindled (omg.... i mean dwindled) down my modern guns to the following.

SCAR
    M25
    Sig 226 x2
    and EDC the Sig (without the silencer of course)

Now getting to the OP.... I RECENTLY have had the "itch" to "own a piece of history" so as you see by the OCD of going to the extreme with my "modern firearms" ...I purchased an 1887 Colt SAA 7 1/2" US stamped, sub inspected by Henry Nettleton (I suspect only the SAS will appreciate the significance of that) .

So my OCD makes me want to fire it so I can't bring myself to fire an almost 150 y/o very fine SAA ..so I purchased a Cimarron Thunderstorm birds head grip 4 3/4".... and a CCW rig from D.M. Bullard Leather. shoots like a dream comes with a sweet action job and a lowered and widened hammer.

I see and agree with all sides of everyones opinions ... I would prefer one of my Sigs in a stress fire situation, and it is easier to CCW my Sig too and yes reload. But... CWW the SA Colt clone is just to awesome and the "neat feeling" factor is through the roof.... yes Heavy ...yes slow to reload... there is no "cross bar safety " but first click on the hammer is the safety and I still only carry 5rds.

Facts... if an altercation happens ...god forbid its going to be within 5-9 feet of the BG. So with all the firearms talk and saber rattling who's piece "goes band more efficiently" ....in MY opinion is completely secondary to training and practice with your CCW. I can't stress that enough. if the BG has a Sig or Glock ...and I have my SA it all comes down to ....as it did in 1878..."fastest draw".

So in my humble opinion if you are not practicing your CCW skills you are missing the boat.

SO... as promised in the TITLE here is a VERY cool piece of history story... and its not hearsay there are documentation from witnesses on this .....I just think this individual had luck on his side that day and was one skilled / tough man

enjoy the read :)

Doc

“One Man With Courage is a Majority”
    -Thomas Jefferson

The Saga of Captain Jonathan Davis

December 19, 1854. Captain Jonathan Davis and two companions, James McDonald and Dr. Bolivar Sparks, were navigating a narrow path in Rocky Canon, near Sacramento, Ca., on their return from prospecting a vein of gold. They were suddenly attacked from ambush by 14 bandits who had been robbing and killing miners in the area for a number of weeks. McDonald was killed instantly without firing a shot, Sparks got off two shots before he was mortally wounded, leaving Davis alone to face the bandits.
    Capt. Davis, a veteran of the Mexican-American War, drew his two colts and began systematically firing at the bandits, killing eight instantly. In no time, both parties were out of ammunition. Three of the bandits drew knives and cutlasses and advanced on Davis, who drew his own large, Bowie knife. He slashed and parried with them, mortally wounding all three in hand-to-hand combat (one, the leader, had his finger and nose cut off with a maneuver that Davis used to disarm him).

Despite the heavy gunfire from the banditos, Davis suffered only two minor flesh wounds. Friends would later count six holes in his hat and eleven through his coat and shirt. Going through the bandits belongings Davis retrieved $491 in gold and silver, four ounces of gold dust and a number of gold and silver watches. He then carried Dr. Sparks to his home near Sutter's Mill and requested that Sparks receive the bounty. Sparks, however, died from his wounds on Dec 26th.
    One man bested more than a dozen of the most violent criminals in the frontier west, in, what has been called by author and historian John Boessenecker, “possibly the single most extraordinary feat of self defense by an American civilian in the annals of frontier history.”

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links