New M&P 40c questions

This is a discussion on New M&P 40c questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my permit and picked up a smith M&P 40c. I am slightly nervous about carrying it with a round in the chamber. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New M&P 40c questions

New M&P 40c questions

I just got my permit and picked up a smith M&P 40c. I am slightly nervous about carrying it with a round in the chamber. I use an in the pant holster so nothing can hit the trigger except me. How safe or unsafe is it? any word of of discharge?

2. Remove Ads

A good holster that covers the trigger guard is critical. The rest is up to you. No reports of problematic unexpected discharge.

I have a M&P 9c and carry IWB loaded. Carry with confidence. Otherwise it is just a brick and does you no good if you really need it.

If it is new you need to put some rounds down range to make sure it is reliable. I usually shoot 200-300 of practice ammo and 50-100 of my carry ammo to make sure it feeds good.

I am going friday to shoot at least 100 - 150 rounds, I also got a colt 1911 so i have allot of shooting to do. I assume most people never have an issue carrying loaded. I just really would like NOT to shoot my privates off...

I would suggest a good holster carried at 3:30 o'clock. Thats where I find it most comfy. I think that appendix carry is uncomfortable w/ my M&P 9c. Plus you won't shoot your privates off, maybe peirce your arse cheek.

The 40c is my primary carry,its DA only & very safe, as stated above keep trigger covered. I always have one in the pipe, its the only way to carry. Shot about 1000 trouble free rounds down range before it went into service as my carry weapon. A good comfortable holster is a must, I use Smartcarry or MTAC W/O jacket & OWB speed paddle W/ jacket.

Crooster,

In no way do I intend this post to insult. The M&P .40c is an excellent weapon, I carry it daily and shoot it at least once a month at a range.

a) Get formal instruction.

b) Get formal instruction.

c) Carry in the meantime without a round chambered.

d) Ask the instructor what type of holster/holsters will meet your needs. Gun shops are in business to make money and may push a holster on you just to make the sale. Speak to people that do carry it.

e) The M&P IMHO is not a novices weapon. Thus hence the Military & Police moniker.

T-Out
    Last edited by Thek9; September 9th, 2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: kant spell
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Para Ordnance 18.9 9mm
    Wesson Mod 15 .357
    Ruger GP100 .357
    Remington 870 Express 12ga

My MP40c is my primary carry gun in an IWB or OWB holster. Pocket holster that covers the trigger guard and nothing else in the pocket would be my recommendation.

I have made a few pocket holsters for the gun for people who pocket carry them... I don't but have big legs that don't leave a ton of room for a midsized pocket gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I hated my M&P .40c because it was unreliable and heavy. I had a nice Alessi IWB and would carry with one in the pipe always because relying on it to chamber a round when manually racking the slide was iffy at best. It would FTF a round properly 70% of the time. However, the same could not be said for when it self-fed after firing a round. I had to carry chambered out of necessity. I finally dumped it and got a Walther PPS and have never looked back.

M&P 40c here as my every day carry. I use a smartcarry, and highnoon holster. Always have a round chambered.

Sounds like you need to get more comfortable and confident with your handling skills. Go hang out at the range! Do some reading as well.

Google Massad Ayoob, and read it all.

Quote Originally Posted by crooster View Post
    I just got my permit and picked up a smith M&P 40c. I am slightly nervous about carrying it with a round in the chamber. I use an in the pant holster so nothing can hit the trigger except me. How safe or unsafe is it? any word of of discharge?
    I have the same M&P40c - I didn't chamber for about the first 30days.
    I have a round chambered all the time now. (7 months now)

Its all about the trigger<
    The way the M&P trigger systems works from my understating the firing pin is not engaged until the first half of the trigger is pulled the 2nd half of the puts the firing pin into action.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    M&P 9 Compact Fully loaded with Double Tap +P ammo, Or RAMI 9mm
    fully loaded with SPEER +P.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Well I have been carrying it with a round in the chamber for a few days now, I more confident now. I also started to carry it around 330 like someone said, that in it self is making it easier, I have yet to fire it friday I plan on putting atleast 200 rounds through it. I know its not good to carry a gun that hasent been fired but, its better than nothing. Has anyone besides this guy up here ever had reliability issues? I heard great things except that

I am starting to dislike this site, my post has been edited several times, I havent violated any terms or conditions? Whats the deal? Cant say, penis, privates, junk, ect! Seriously do people have cable tv? Do you not watch the discovery channel due to the fact they might describe the mating habits of an ox?

I haven't heard of anything bad with the M&P. That is why I am buying one-in 45 acp. I have several friends who have one and again, have not heard anything bad. I trust Smith and Wesson's reliabilty to the "T". I have carried S&W in the past, on duty 24/7 and would again in a heart beat.

Trust your gun, but trust your mind and your fingers more. If you don't pull the trigger, it won't go "bang". It's carried across the country day-in and day-out by thousands of LEO and they haven't had any issues.

You do the math.
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links