It's not often I find an unheard of pistol: American Classic 45 ACP

This is a discussion on It's not often I find an unheard of pistol: American Classic 45 ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1911Pistols.com: Import Sports American Classic 1911 Pistol, AC45G, Blue Great bargain? Supreme EDC gun? Bucket o' junk?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: It's not often I find an unheard of pistol: American Classic 45 ACP

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

1911Pistols.com: Import Sports American Classic 1911 Pistol, AC45G, Blue

Great bargain?

Supreme EDC gun?

Bucket o' junk?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lead Moderator
    Based on the price and no brand name on the ad I would guess it isn't the best pistol around. It may work well, but its a gamble .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    Philippine manufacture like the RIAs CDs etc.
    Here's a thread discussing them; The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - American Classic 1911 ( Philippine manufacture)
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I have no experience with that model, but beware the cheap clones. My first 1911, bought back in early 1986, was a Thompson Auto-Ordinance 1911A1 (pre-Kahr, of course) since I couldn't afford a new Colt at the time. I don't remember where it was made, if it was a domestic Thompson build or an import, but it was pretty bad. Sloppy fit & finish, would occasionally jam with JHP's, and not very accurate (at least in my hands back then). Even worse, about six months after buying it I was demonstrating the 1911 safety features to someone -- thankfully with an unloaded weapon that I had double checked -- and discovered the grip safety didn't work! You could hold the gun by the slide with a cocked hammer, and pull the trigger without touching the grip! I traded it shortly afterward and vowed not to buy another cheap 1911 clone. Although I do hear that Kahr has improved on them, and I am a fan of Kahr pistols, so maybe they're decent enough now. And RIA makes some very popular 1911 clones, although I've not personally tried one. But for now I think I'll stick with the major 1911 mfgs like Colt, Kimber, SA, Para, etc.

I do have a co-worker who had a cheap Chinese Norinco 1911 that he said was pretty good, but I've heard their older 1911's had problems with soft steel, and apparently the new ones can no longer be imported.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

B52
    I bought an American Classic II this week and put 250 rounds of ball through it and 25 rounds of 230grn Gold Dots. The gun was purchased because I wanted a beater 1911 to bring out when I venture in to the Arizona Desert. I really hate scratching my Loaded Springer. I bought it for only $389 couldn't pass it up. The only thing I did was polish the feed ramp and re-stain the grips. I will keep you guys posted if I run in to any issues with it. It shot great by the way the sites were dead on (1.25") at 25 yards, not one hiccup...Pics are on the way.
    Last edited by B52; September 20th, 2008 at 07:03 PM.

B52

My picture taking abilities don't do it justice...too much flash or lighting.

I can add a couple of cents here.

I picked one up at my friendly neighborhood pawn shop for $350 out the door.

I likewise polished the feed ramp, and tore it all apart, and dropped in a couple of "custom" parts I had in my parts box from Wilson and McCormick...i.e Wilson trigger, as I like the longer trigger, and a McCormick commander style hammer and commander style grip safety because my large mitts get bit by the standard hammer on a 1911 or Hi Power. I haven't installed a beavertail yet...truthfully laziness has prevented me from getting out the jig and dremel.

Since I was already replacing the trigger, I decided to do a quick and dirty 30 minute trigger job, and according to my RCBS trigger pull guage it now sports a 5# trigger down from the 8.5# stock trigger.

I took it to my range out in the field behind my house and set up a couple of target stands.

The first off hand group at 10 yds looked like a shotgun pattern more than a group! I mean....12". YUCK. I went to my shooting bench, and really really worked for some precision placement. No luck...still a pattern, rather than a group.

So...I dropped in a Wilson bushing that has been living in my range box, and whaddya know...all of a sudden it was a shooter. I got 3" groups at 25yds that were 2" low and 1" to the right point of impact.

At 15 yds...the groups were 1.5"-2.0" and all in the 10 and X ring.

At 10 yds...they shots were in one ragged hole.

I fired about 200 rounds of 230gr ball reloads, and 100 rounds of 230gr jhp reloads without a hiccup. Then I fired 50 185gr Silvertip jhps with like results...hits were a little higher with the lighter rounds as was expected, but reliability was dead on.

I would have ZERO problem carrying this piece. I may even sweeten it up with a beavertail and some nice smooth coco bolo grips.

For $350, and way less than a hundred bucks in parts the turd became a ruby. I can't even charge the parts to the gun...I have had them collecting dust for a LONG time, and they were all picked up at shows and in trades.

If you want a 1911 that won't break the bank, and would be a great platform for a light custom carry job that you want to do yourself...this one is a bargain.

If I do a full carry custom job on it, I will post step by step pics.

I am not afraid to buy an old Thompson/Auto Ord...I can make a 1911 run. Remember....if you DO buy one...take the time to learn the 1911, and before long, with a little bench skill, you can make a turd a ruby too. Nothing makes me smile more than outshooting the STI clan with one of my "project guns".

B52
    Frisco, Mine came with all the bells and whistle's i.e. Beaver tail, Novak's, adjustable trigger, ext slide release...I don't know if you have the American Classic II model that I got for $389 brand-new...out the door. The trigger measured at only 4.2lbs not 8.5lbs. I can honestly say it was never a turd. Also, I am using Wilson mags and not the Mecgar that came with it. It shot better than my SA Loaded..out the box, which need rear sight adjustment at first.

Many of you guys are a lot smarter than I am...but I have learned that in all 61 years...you get what you pay for...

Stay armed...snake oil for sale?...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Frisco, Mine came with all the bells and whistle's i.e. Beaver tail, Novak's, adjustable trigger, ext slide release...I don't know if you have the American Classic II model that I got for $389 brand-new...out the door. The trigger measured at only 4.2lbs not 8.5lbs. I can honestly say it was never a turd. Also, I am using Wilson mags and not the Mecgar that came with it. It shot better than my SA Loaded..out the box, which need rear sight adjustment at first.
    Mine was of standard 1911A1 configuration. Until I saw the posted pic...I didn't know they made another version. I hadn't even heard of them unitl I purchased mine.

What part of AZ do you call home?

B52
    Tucson, how bout you?

B52
    Retsup99, you are right about getting what you paid for...that's why when I CC it's always Glock or Springer. But I had a few extra bucks ($2K) from a USAF TDY I got back from and decided to take a $389 gamble; we will see what comes of it. Right now it will just be used for desert shooting, i.e. plinking or killing cactus. It sucks I have a 1911 with over 1K in it and I freak out every time a scratch gets on it....

I found one of those Firestorm / Metro guns at the store for 250.00 less 10% so I think I'll sign it out and see how it shoots before I buy it. Hard Chrome frame blue slide and novak style sights. what do you think?
    Hope to give you a update soon.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Administrator
    You might want to go to YouTube and check out some Videos from folks that already own one and see how happy they are with theirs.

I do recall there being a pile of American Classic 1911 Vids on YouTube.

Naturally I'm going to not comment on them because I haven't ever seen one - so my personal opinion wouldn't count for much.
    I will only say that it certainly IS entirely possible to have a quality firearm made in the Philippines.

They are intelligent people.

Sure. Why not? They have steel there. They have milling machines there. They have CNC equipment there and heat treat furnaces and even Lathes.

So it is possible that the only difference between that one and a domestic is the cost of labor.

Everything depends on the QC during manufacture.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

this American Classic II was purchased in December 2009 and is made by MetroArms out of the Phillippines. Dead nuts accurate, and have had zero issues to date: Paid a whopping $365 NIB

This one was purchased used for twice the price of the AMCII. Also very accurate and have never had any issues.
    On the bottom of the dust cover, its stamped: "MADE IN BRAZIL". Wow, coulda had a Taurus.

The Metro Arms 1911's are very good pistols for the money....but were much better bargains before the huge price increase in 2011. Now they are only a couple of hundred dollars from a Springer Loaded and for an extra $200, I'd definitely take the Springfield. If you can find the AMC's anywhere below $500 you are getting a deal.....anything above that, there are better options.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links