dan wesson revolver?

This is a discussion on dan wesson revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; guys- i have the opportunity to buy a very good condition dan wesson 357 revolver with two barrels, which appears to be in excellent condition. ...

Thread: dan wesson revolver?

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

dan wesson revolver?

guys- i have the opportunity to buy a very good condition dan wesson 357 revolver with two barrels, which appears to be in excellent condition. i know almost nothing about this maker, except that some guns are really good, others are not so good. how do i tell? what should i look for? i know how to evaluate a typical smith or colt, but this gun has changable barrels, which is a whole new thing to me.
    thanks in advance.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

2. Remove Ads

I remember drooling over these DW multi-barrel kits 25+ years ago, but never bought one. I haven't even seen one in years, and I seem to recall hearing since that they had some problems, but unfortunately I can't remember details or be more specific. I would ask my gun collector coworker who is a walking encyclopedia of gun lore, but he isn't in today.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I bought a D.W. 357 back in 1987. switchable barrels and all.
    I had heard they underwent a few buy-outs, out of business then back in type of thing. If it's a circa "back then" gun I would say it's a top of the line weapon but I am no gun guru. I would wait for the real officionados to chime in but thats my 2 cents.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I had a 1st generation mod 15 w/ the 3 barrels:POS!!!bound up and was unreliable.
    A buddy had a newer one:same deal.
    2 other people I know have them and love them,good guns.
    buyer beware.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Extremely Accurate! Mine has a 4 inch barrel, I will eventually get a 2 inch. Has held up well for a old timer, out of respect for my "Big Dan" I'll shoot a limited amount of .357's and practice with +.38's. This revolver is real bad news for the would be bad guy entering my house.
    I will rely on this gun in my night stand "Till I Be No More."

T-out
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Para Ordnance 18.9 9mm
    Wesson Mod 15 .357
    Ruger GP100 .357
    Remington 870 Express 12ga

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Had a good friend who owned one when we were stationed in Kodiak Ak (83-86). His was the .44 mag model with 3 barrels:4",6" and 8" I do believe. Me and my S&W model 57 .41 mag couldn't beat him in the accuracy department. It was the most accurate revolver I have ever shot. Can't speak about your model but the S&W Forum has some real experts on that site and may be able to help you out.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; September 9th, 2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: sp
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Senior Moderator
    I've got one and its very accurate. The major thing that Dan Wesson's suffered from was that the directions on swapping out the barrels never got passed from one buyer to another and as a result of that, many people were frustrated with their guns.

Some of them suffered from "binding" problems, it was because the barrel gap was set too tight. It would rotate like it was supposed to and as it got dirty it would bind up. They all came with a gage to set them by, but they hardly ever got passed on either.

I knew of a guy that sold his cheap. He claimed that it couldn't hold 6 shots on a paper at 25 yards, and he was correct, but it was to be expected because the barrel was about to fall off. He didn't know that it had to be checked for tightness every so often. Once it was properly tensioned, it was typical Dan Wesson accurate.

As for accuracy, the Dan Wesson still holds lots of revolver records in Silhouette shooting and they will continue to due to the barrel tensioning system. It does take a bit of attention and lots of people aren't willing to deal with that.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

GET IT! Sorry for shouting. I love my Dan Wesson Model 14 (the only real difference than the 15 is it's got fixed sights instead of adjustable ones). It's a pussycat to shoot 357mags out of. One thing you'll notice with the DW is if you're used to S&W or any other revolver is that it has a much shorter trigger stroke. That totally surprised me when I first shot it. To me the shorter stroke really helps in my DA shots.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I had one in 357 back in the early 80's and let it go for a song. I regret that day, because it was top quality and very accurate. Its one of the few revolvers I've ever liked.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

VIP Member
    I owned one may years ago, mine did come with gauge for setting gap. I think the gap was .015 inches. If you do not have the gauge any automotive feeler gauge should be a good substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    guys- i have the opportunity to buy a very good condition dan wesson 357 revolver with two barrels, which appears to be in excellent condition. i know almost nothing about this maker, except that some guns are really good, others are not so good. how do i tell? what should i look for? i know how to evaluate a typical smith or colt, but this gun has changable barrels, which is a whole new thing to me.
    thanks in advance.
    God Bless
    If it is a model 15 or 715 jump on it quickly. These are extremely accurate and well made revolvers. On my best day I shot 35 jack rabbits in a row at ranges out to 100 yards without a miss with one. I wish I still had it.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Lots of bullets means lots of chances to make use of expert marksmanship skills" --- Gecko45

"Some people ask: shoot to maim, or shoot to kill? I say, empty the chamber and let the good Lord decide." - Deputy Garcia (Reno 911)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I had a 1st generation mod 15 w/ the 3 barrels:POS!!!bound up and was unreliable.
    A buddy had a newer one:same deal.
    2 other people I know have them and love them,good guns.
    buyer beware.
    You most likely had your barrel cylinder gap too tight.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Lots of bullets means lots of chances to make use of expert marksmanship skills" --- Gecko45

"Some people ask: shoot to maim, or shoot to kill? I say, empty the chamber and let the good Lord decide." - Deputy Garcia (Reno 911)

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    It is a model 15, one of the earlier guns. it has the box, manual, tool for changing the barrels, and a feeler gage for setting the cylinder gap, which i think is supposed to be around .05 now, that is fairly tight for a revolver- lots of decent shooters have bigger gaps than that, and custom guys set the gaps on their guns at around .05
    it has two barrels, 4 and 6 inch, although the guy also has a long barell (8?) and a shorter one (2), he would swap out. the bluing is very nice. i can tell the gun is very well made, of high quality steel, and the bluing is free of waves or imperfections.
    it is a good deal i believe at $500. i can shoot it before i buy it since it is used and i know the seller pretty well- former student of mine.
    money is tight as usual, but i think i "need" this one...
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    I haven't even seen one in years, and I seem to recall hearing since that they had some problems, but unfortunately I can't remember details or be more specific. I would ask my gun collector coworker who is a walking encyclopedia of gun lore, but he isn't in today.
    Just a followup after I asked the aforementioned co-worker today. You seem to know what to look out for and a few others have suggested they're okay, but I just wanted to pass along that he reiterated the problems with barrels frequently coming loose and improper gaps. He also agreed on their accuracy and how well they were built, as long as they were properly maintained. Apparently they're just high-maintenance with regards to the barrels, so it sounds like as long as you are mindful of that you'll probably be okay.

He did warn against buying them used without closely inspecting the barrels threads and bushing for wear and tear -- he said he's seen several for sale that were pretty chewed up. I'm sure you would have noticed that, but just in case...
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I also had one and let it get away. I wish I had not made the mistake of selling it. I had 2,4,6, and 8 inch barrels and two sets of grips and three colors of interchangeable sights. Man I was a fool in my youth.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links