Unfortunate Range Report - Page 2

Unfortunate Range Report

This is a discussion on Unfortunate Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't say I have a great deal of experiance with Para-Ordnance, but I have a P-14 that hasn't missed a lick from round 1. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfortunate Range Report

I can't say I have a great deal of experiance with Para-Ordnance, but I have a P-14 that hasn't missed a lick from round 1. Everything I have heard Para will take care of you, as was said earlier, make sure all the shipping grease is cleaned out of it and a good gun oil on the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    So thats whats wrong with ya J/K
    You see my insanity as something to suffer through. I, on the other hand, enjoy every second of it.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Bruce---Pls read my above post closer.-----------

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Wait-a-minute. Before you send it back,fire up another 1K rds. of ammo,or throw the weapon in the trash------
    There isn't a whole lotta ways to take this statement. So we are all clear what are you tring to say?
    There is no doubt that the 5" 1911's have problems, as well as the commander models, but there are far more problems with the compacts, and that is no 'ol wives tale. They make them because there is a demand for them, granted not every one has problems, but I would say 3 out of 10 will. The gun companies know this and its just easier to fix or replace the defective ones then to pull the compacts all together.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    You Dispit what anyone says, the 1911's reliability does become flawed when the slide length is less than 4"- 4 1/4".[/QUOTE]

You know I have heard this statement ALOT on this forum lately, and I am not sure why. I have a 3.5" Kimber Ultra Carry II and have never a problem one with a FTE, FTF. I guess I am a lucky one, but man it has always been 100% reliable. I would stake my families life on it, oh wait I already do.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    There is no doubt that the 5" 1911's have problems, as well as the commander models, but there are far more problems with the compacts, and that is no 'ol wives tale. They make them because there is a demand for them, granted not every one has problems, but I would say 3 out of 10 will. The gun companies know this and its just easier to fix or replace the defective ones then to pull the compacts all together.
    How many are you buying or selling, Bruce?

At the shop here, I see as many problems with the full-size 1911s as with the compacts. We've had DOA, non-working every major brand now that just wouldn't run, regardless of size - except the 5" Springfield Mil-specs, which we've also ironically sold the most of.

3 out of 10 1911s seems to be about right for teething problems out of the box - they're always coming back in for something. Usually it's a mag or shooter error problem, but 1 in 10 require something more serious.

As a note, we don't have these problems with Sigs. HKs. Glocks. The newer Tauri. Rugers. Hi-Points. S&W. Etc. Etc.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Lead Moderator
    From what I have noticed, eithr ya gt a 1911 that works or it has problems. I have seen alot on the internet gun forums about 3" 1911's failing I chose to get a commander size. Anyone hear of any Colt Defenders failing to work?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    From what I have noticed, eithr ya gt a 1911 that works or it has problems. I have seen alot on the internet gun forums about 3" 1911's failing I chose to get a commander size. Anyone hear of any Colt Defenders failing to work?
    Ive heard the Same No telling what the problems are or cause. Then again half the stuff could be user error ..etc etc

Allow me to be more "clear". I am trying to save Hank from shooting up more ammo. That is why I stated before you send it back,fire any more ammo,or throw the weapon in the trash,etc. I have seen lots of people come to the range with a new weapon right from the gunshop. They open the box,load the mag,and start shooting.(I am not saying that ANY of us here would do that) My point/opinion is >>> Any weapon(even rifles) should have a F&B done to it. Some more than others. Especially pistols.Please don't assume that if you pay high dollar for a weapon that you should be able to take it right out and start shooting it. I've seen Wilsons,high end STI's and Brown's,cough and hicup right outta the box. As some of you have stated above,the very least you should do with a new pistol,revo,rifle,or shotgun,is a complete disassembily,clean,check for damaged or missing parts,and relube(as needed). I have seen Moss500's taken outta the box with bent/broken slide rails. I have not seen a response to my initial question to Hank so I'll restate it. What did you do to(for) the weapon from the time you unboxed it 'til the time you started shootin' it? The answer could save him alot of time,expense,and grief. --- I feel that with the proper F&B to a pistol, AND it's mags, a 3" is just as reliable as a 5". Some of you do not. That's fine. We can agree to disagree. I feel that certin preventative maintance should be performed on all weapons(and mags) right outta the box. Also I have seen alot of people(that could be smarter than me)not use any lube whatsoever on their weapons. That is their choice. In the functioning of weapons(as in the functioning of pick up trucks) there are alot of variables. Can I,and 1000 others, assume that a Ford is inharently flawed because we had trouble with ours? I think not.----------

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Sorry this has taken a turn Hank.
    RSSZ- Now I understand what you ment, it just wans't "clicking" before the way you woorded it.

Hank, have you shot them again? You didn't say how many rounds you put through them on the first visit, I think maybe we are assuming you put quite a few through them, but when I reread your post I'm not sure as it was windy and you were having proplems so maybe you only got a chance to get 50 or so rounds off. I would strip the wepons, check them, then shoot at least 300 rounds before making any decisions about them.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Sorry guys, got busy. I must admit I didn't fire too many rounds. Just a couple mags worth. I couldn't imagine the performance getting better just by trying more ammo. I didn't break them down before shooting them, but I did lube them, opened up the slides and lubed inside and out. I have since taken them down and cleaned and relubed both guns. I will try to get back out to the range as soon as I can, don't know when that will be. Maybe after Christmas before I can make it back out. Christmas very busy. Hopefully they wil perform better next time and I will be more patient with them. Thanks for all your help and comments, this is the best board on the internet!!!

Hank,The next time you shoot the weapons in question,write down all that goes wrong or right. The people on this forum will be able to help you if we have the right(all) info. Just remember,new weapons usually need alot of TLC,and yes,you'll have to put a couple hundred rds.of ammo through them. Start lookin' for the cheap stuff. Good luck with the weapons.---------

Hank,The next time you shoot the weapons in question,write down all that goes wrong or right. The people on this forum will be able to help you if we have the right(all) info. Just remember,new weapons usually need alot of TLC,and yes,you'll have to put a couple hundred rds.of ammo through them. Start lookin' for the cheap stuff. Good luck with the weapons.---------

MOD's, don't understand the double post> Pls scratch one and this also. THNX------

Hank? How long have you had both guns?
    If you bought them within the past 30 days, I'd say to bring them back to the dealer you bought them from, along with reciepts, and the repair orders you have onhand. The dealer should either give you a refund for your money, or a merchandise credit toward something elde you might want to purchase.....
    If you can't get through with that method, explain to him (the dealer) that you WANT to be a good customer AND you want to do business with him in the future. As being a former FFL, I would do that for you, if you came to me. I would want your good business and good will/word spread about how I handled your problem with the guns. If he has an issue with the return, I'd let him knwo that bad news travels faster than light, take the guns elswhere and trade em off, and never do business with the guy again.
    Customer Service is supreme, and you're only as good as your last sale. Just a few thoughts, and words of advice about the frustration you're experiencing. Hope you can resolve the issues with the guns via a good cleaning and different ammo. Both guns are usually prety good.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links