Unfortunate Range Report

Unfortunate Range Report

This is a discussion on Unfortunate Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I got to the range today with the new Hawg 9 and Springfield Ultra Compact. I can't say it was an enjoyable experience. The ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

Unfortunate Range Report

Well I got to the range today with the new Hawg 9 and Springfield Ultra Compact. I can't say it was an enjoyable experience. The wind was really blowing, probably 15 - 20 mph. Hard to keep targets from blowing around and just a real pain in general. I started with the Springfield using 230 gr ball ammo. Many FTF's. Probably averaged halve the time. Swithched to hollowpoint and couldn't get even one bullet to go into battery! I was not a happy camper. So I decided to try out the Hawg 9. I was sure it would be awesome. Wrong!! Every single shot resulted in a FTE!!! No matter what!!! While both guns were very accurate (I was shooting from 15ft.) I was very disappointed in the performance of both. I finally got tired of fighting the wind and packed up and came home. I will try again when the weather is more condusive. I hope I didn't catch my death of cold out there!!!

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. It can be very upsetting dropping that much coin on something that dosn't do what it is spusto do, and do it everytime.

Assistant Administrator
    Hank - that is most disappointing - not helped obviously by conditions.

Not good results at all - tho I guess maybe break-in is needed. Any difference between mag's in each - so often mag's have a lot to woth feed issues.

FTE on Hawk - sounds like an extractor prob - either inadequate tension or claw not right.

I share your frustration - do post back with any extra info after cleaning and shooting again.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hank,

Keep us abreast of what you find out the issue(s) are with each pistol. I'd start with the mags to see if diff ones fix what ails ya.

Best of luck diagnosing and fixing those things.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I personaly would send them back to the company and say when you can put 250 rounds through it without a single problem send it back to me or send me a new pistol. You should not have to be the one who has to figure out whats wrong with your new pistol. I know that SA will take care of you, don't know about paras warrentee.
    When you drop that kind of coin on a pistol(dosn't matter what brand) the thing should function as designed peroid, and if it does not it should be up to the manufactuare to figure out why and reslove the problem.
    Unless its freezing rain and icing up your action weather should not play a part in a guns performance. Mags can and do cause problems, but usualy the mag that is shipped with the gun usualy works in that gun all the time (YMMV)
    Dispit what anyone says, the 1911's reliability does become flawed when the slide length is less than 4"- 4 1/4".

That's a real shame Hank, I was really hoping to hear glowing reports as that 9mm sounds intriguing. I had a good bit of trouble with my SA UC Hicap years ago but was hoping that it was an isolated incident or somehow due to the hicap config.

The problems you had sound somewhat similar to Chris' P12 Para dilemma, you might get some ideas from reading through his posts re: lapping the rails, extractor corrections, etc.. Seems as good a place to start as any.

Please be sure to keep us updated on how these guns come along, I like the idea of an Officer's length .45 (no less than 3.5" bbl) as well as the 9mm option.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Wait-a-minute. Before you send it back,fire up another 1K rds. of ammo,or throw the weapon in the trash------What did you do to(for) the weapon from the time you unboxed it til you started shootin' it ???? --- Despite what anyone sez,1911's with 3" bbl's will shoot. How many weapons manufacturers make how many styles of sub 4" bbl weapons? Why would they do this if they didn't shoot. Some of the gunners guru's, guru's, are still hangin' on to the old theory's. Ask the nay-sayers if they have ever herd of a 5" 1911 having these very same problems and watch them say "well,well,well".

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Wait-a-minute. Before you send it back,fire up another 1K rds. of ammo,or throw the weapon in the trash------What did you do to(for) the weapon from the time you unboxed it til you started shootin' it ???? ----------
    When you take it out of the box, you should strip it, clean all excess grease off, do a visibal inspection on all parts and reassemble, take it to the range and shoot it. You SHOULD NOT have to put more than 300-400 rounds down range to break the gun in (IMO). If you have continus malfunctions with it after 300 or so rounds something is not right.
    RSSZ you want him to spend another $200 on ammo? That is not the way to go. (IMO, but you know what they say about opinions)

Lead Moderator
    Well, that sucks big time. Most of the reason I picked a 4" commander size 1911 was the less than glowing reports on the 3" barrels for FTE's and FTF. Hope ya get the problems sorted out.

DC Founder
    I agree with Bruce. If you unboxed it and didn't clean it completely before taking it out, that is probably the problem. They often ship them with a heavier lubricant than you should be used while it is in service. The lube from the factory tends to be "sticky" for lack of a better word and in a windy environment you may have picked up some dirt or other debris. Clean it and lube it as the manufacturer recommends and try it again. Additional thousand rounds before sending it back? I don't think so but I, personally, would put 500 total through it before sending it back to the factory.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I guess I assumed he had already licked the comsoline off it B4 taking it to the range. I always do this- It tastes great!
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    I guess I assumed he had already licked the comsoline off it B4 taking it to the range. I always do this- It tastes great!
    So thats whats wrong with ya J/K

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Hank, I'm really sorry to read of your problems. It is a shame that the guns you have don't work right. I've had some similar experiences, so I know how you feel. I hope you can get them working correctly.

Para has exceptional customer service and will fix the problem. SA has good service too, so it shouldn't be a big deal to get fixed. It does suck to have problems though. Hope it works out.

yeah i would do a good cleaning and go out try again check the extractor on the para for sure if that doesnt fix um in the box and back home they go

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links