hammered revolver=jail time??

This is a discussion on hammered revolver=jail time?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not ot mention, has anyone thought yet that the majority of semiautomatic pistols have an exposed hammer that can be cocked as well?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hammered revolver=jail time??

Not ot mention, has anyone thought yet that the majority of semiautomatic pistols have an exposed hammer that can be cocked as well?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

Yup

I agree with most of the posts here. I didn't argue with him, as you know where that usually leads. Ignorance is bliss.
    BUT after leaving the shop and riding home, I was laughing and discussing the different scenarios with my brother, who heard the whole thing, and this is what we decided.
    1.The desk is not an authority maker
    2. If he had such extensive knowledge, why is he working there, need to see the place.
    3. Maybe the story changes with inventory!!
    4. Some scum bag laywer could in fact make that case to people that know nothing about guns.

SO.....who might make up that jury?.... that you pulled the firearm, took aim, pulled the hammer and fired. cognitively knowing what you were doing. and not just reacting to defend.
    Kind of devil advocate....so lets hear it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Don't listen to gun counter snobs. It is similar to the 1911 issue. Anyway, protect yourself and worry about lawyers later.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

If you are threatened, and you pull the hammer back, who cares.
    rule two is never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy. If you point it at the BG then you are willing to shoot to stop the attack. If you practice with a single action revolver and cary a double action , in a case of attack you will probably shoot it single action(pull the hammer back then pull the trigger) because we usually revert to our training.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In defense of the gun counter guys--we have another shop in my local area that is just the opposite(especially one guy that works there). When someone walks in to inquire about the purchase of a new or used weapon he will ask some very important questions. Who is the weapon for? How much will it be shot? What will it be used for? How much do you want to spend? Pistol or revo?(and if they don't know the difference he will calmly and respectfully explain the difference to them) How expierenced are you with pistols/rifles/shotguns,etc.? This behind the counter guy will never try to influence the buyer,he will help them make a decission on what weapon will be best for their needs. If they insist on a 14" T/C for CC, I'm sure that he'd gladly sell them one. Selling guns is his job.---------

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    How would anybody PROVE that your first shot was fired with the hammer Cocked as VS Double Action unless the incident happened to be caught on video????
    Ayoob tried to prove this by depth of the firing pin strike.
    His theory:
    DA = shallow (er) primer strike
    SA = deep (er) primer strike

Turns out no dice, since the "...pressure inside the cartridge as the powder burns pushes back into the primer, and even when the cartridges are working normally, they "reinflate" the primer indentation sufficiently that you can't tell a single action shot from a double action one..."

Combat Handguns, November 2005 pg. 8, continued on pg. 90.
    "When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    --Major General James Mattis, USMC

Semper Fi

When I was working down in The Big Easy last month, I carried my Taurus PT-911. The PT-911 works very much like the PT-92. You can carry it with the hammer down, like any other double action semi-auto, or you can carry it in condition 1, cocked and locked like the 1911 (one of the reasons I prefer Taurus semi-autos).

Sometimes I carried it with the hammer down, and sometimes, specially if strange things had been going on at the job site, I'd carry it cocked and locked. One of the guys I worked with, an old retired ex-cop, nearly crapped his pants when he saw my pistol cocked and locked. He was like "You know, I've seen sears fail and guns go off in conditions like that!" And my response: "Really? Even brand new guns, less than a year old?" "Well, it's your butt if it goes off." "Nope, it's the pavement if it goes off, which it won't." Never has, never will, neither has any of the 1911s I've owned.

Some people get some strange ideas in their heads, and you just can't convince them other wise.

I always get a kick out of some people when they see my 1911 in Condition 1. You'd think the sky was falling.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    How would anybody PROVE that your first shot was fired with the hammer Cocked as VS Double Action unless the incident happened to be caught on video????
    I agree with ya 250% QK... doesn't matter if the hammer was cocked or not. The real deal is to get it into play ASAP for your protection. Seems like a Lawyer issue to me. I've carried wheelies in every way possible. hammers and hammerless. Semi autos in the same manner and configuration. Just a smart A** lawyer who would come up with a lawsuit to snare an ligitimate CCWr protecting his life.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

It boils down to sales people are the same everywhere...some are honest and knowledgable about their product, the others just want your money and will tell you anything to get you to buy. Caveat emptor...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by Kompact9
    It boils down to sales people are the same everywhere...some are honest and knowledgable about their product, the others just want your money and will tell you anything to get you to buy. Caveat emptor...
    Ya got that right Kompact9...........I just tell them (the customer) my honest opinion, and also the final decision rests with their purchase...and what THEY feel comfortable with.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I'd think the best way to avoid getting prosecuted because you defended yourself with an exposed hammer revolver would be to weld the hammer to the revolver frame and carry no ammunition in the firearm.
    I guess I'm an expert.
    I spent about 4 years carrying a Ruger Super Blackhawk every day (life on a ranch). Good thing I never heard that if I had to cock the thing, that would mean I could avoid the crazy wild dog trying to get my leg torn up or something equally fun.
    The saddest part of this whole thread to me is that there really is a lack of good people selling guns. Where does a beginner go to learn when fully half the people who are supposed to know -- actually don't?
    By the time a beginner hears all this stuff about going to jail for winning a fight, he or she is often too scared to even carry the gun. That is a tragedy waiting to happen. There are really evil people on this earth and first, I will be the one alive if confronted, even if I'm carrying my big Ruger single action and have to cock it first. Actually, even if I have to feed shells into my lever gun and then shoot the bad person. All that really matters is that I am in fear of my life....

A good thread ---

Quote Originally Posted by raevan
    If you are threatened, and you pull the hammer back, who cares.
    That is the problem, and where the source of the "DA only" myth comes from. If the perp ceases and desists when you present, and aim your weapon, you no longer have a "justifiable shoot", at that point, they are in your "custody". It has happened, particularly with well-used, smoooth S&W -86 series revolvers, and more recently with Glocks, that an arresting officer ND'd, killing or injuring a compliant suspect. Like most problems of the sort, finger/muzzle control would have solved it, but.....

DA would be a reasonable suggestion, to me, for someone who took minimal training, and didn't feel very confident in knowing their a** from their elbow, when the adrenaline was pumping. We usually discuss how to draw faster, place our shots more accurately, etc., not, "How to Be Safe Covering a Suspect."

If I have to pull my backup, which is a Model 66, it's going off as soon I can point it. I doubt if at that point your going to cock the hammer. Or even worry about what any one will say in court.

The guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Believe me. He has been reading too many gun magazine columnists. The issue for law enforcement is not what you shot the guy with, but the circumstances surrounding the shooting. (Unless you use full auto or a sawed off shotgun or rifle, but those charges are possession issues and are a side show to the shooting issue.)

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I'll just add my view that most gun store folks are not very knowledgeable about many things, even guns.
    I agree that maybe he had read too much Ayoob.

I don't worry about what a lawyer might do. My first requirement is to be able to use my handgun to protect me and mine and stop the attack. It is usually pointless to argue with those types who know it all.
    I read someone's signature that said something like, "Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you to death with experience."

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links