hammered revolver=jail time??

This is a discussion on hammered revolver=jail time?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The instructor who I got my armed security training from told me that it is illegal for a armed security guard in Florida to cock ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hammered revolver=jail time??

The instructor who I got my armed security training from told me that it is illegal for a armed security guard in Florida to cock the hammer while on duty. I don't know if this is true. My instructor has been wrong before. Although I do know that Brinks has the hammer cut on there .38's It doesn't matter to me, I always practice using double action anyhow.

I decided not to chop the hammer on my Rossi M351, My logic is that its easier to shoot at 25y in single action. Obviously I wouldn't think of cutting the hammer on my GP-100. I just don't cock the hammer on duty, just in case he is right.

2. Remove Ads

The saddest part of this whole thread to me is that there really is a lack of good people selling guns. Where does a beginner go to learn when fully half the people who are supposed to know -- actually don't?
    Part of the problem is the quest for the lowest bottom dollar - the first thing to go is knowledgeable help. I part-time at a gun store because I enjoy it. If I didn't, then the convenience store wages wouldn't exactly appeal to me.

I get people trying to dicker with me on pricing to match the meglomart that's $5 lower, forgetting that I've just spent an hour with them and their spouse going over a variety of options and can actually know what I'm talking about. I get folks who just plain don't want help, and I can understand that after shopping elsewhere. There's also the problem of dealing with the same John Rambos that come in on a daily or weekly basis to a point where you dread Saturday at 4:30 - because you know they're coming in and will sit there for an hour.

It's a thing where if you don't love it, you won't stay, and most folks who are qualified aren't willing to do it for the minimal profits that are to be made.

It's like I tell customers who want to match Wal-mart's price on something - I can do that, but you have to know what you want in the gun and handle all the problems with the manufacturer yourself and need no accessories or input on anything.

Couple that with the near-constant stream of BS you hear from folks walking in off the street, local LEOs, etc, and it's a wonder anyone wit a clue at all is behind a counter.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Lead Moderator
    Funny, our local shop have very knowledgable folks, and others who know almost nothing. Luckily ,I think the hunting oriented owners discourage Rambo type talk. Although they carry a large variety of AR's self defense guns and the like. Another shop I refuse to shop in has 1 really obnoxious , know it all. The guy would be o.k. if he didin't come to work in waders to walk thru his own B.S.

Actually, the gun shop owner isnt that crazy. An artical in Combat Handguns (FEB 2005) Tells the story of a man involved in a shooting and the fact that he cocked the hammer on his revolver was an issue in his trial. The judge said in open court that justified shooting was a defense reserved for intentional acts. The man had created a hair trigger by cocking the hammer so it was tried as an accidental shooting caused by the hair trigger . There is a lot more to the story but the fact remains that if you first cock the hammer a savy prosicuter can use it against you..How did they know he cocked his hammer, he mentioned it in his statement to the police. Everything you say can AND WILL BE USED AGINST YOU..................
    If ever involved in a self deffense shooting ( and I pray none of us ever are ) tell the police that you were afraid for your life and that your to shook-up at this time to make a statement and that you feel you should speak to your lawyer before you do. The police are not there to be your friend there there to collect evidence. That includes evidence that may be used aginst you.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    Part of the problem is the quest for the lowest bottom dollar - the first thing to go is knowledgeable help. I part-time at a gun store because I enjoy it. If I didn't, then the convenience store wages wouldn't exactly appeal to me.

I get people trying to dicker with me on pricing to match the meglomart that's $5 lower, forgetting that I've just spent an hour with them and their spouse going over a variety of options and can actually know what I'm talking about. I get folks who just plain don't want help, and I can understand that after shopping elsewhere. There's also the problem of dealing with the same John Rambos that come in on a daily or weekly basis to a point where you dread Saturday at 4:30 - because you know they're coming in and will sit there for an hour.

It's a thing where if you don't love it, you won't stay, and most folks who are qualified aren't willing to do it for the minimal profits that are to be made.

It's like I tell customers who want to match Wal-mart's price on something - I can do that, but you have to know what you want in the gun and handle all the problems with the manufacturer yourself and need no accessories or input on anything.

Couple that with the near-constant stream of BS you hear from folks walking in off the street, local LEOs, etc, and it's a wonder anyone wit a clue at all is behind a counter.
    I'm 1000% behind RFurt.. the Wally-world, Dick's, and others, who sell you that "neat bottomline" price on your duck gun, will quickly tell you that "it's your problem" when it breaks. We see it all the time, when we ask for the sales reciept, and they tell us where they bought it.
    We then ask for the reciept and see if it was a new gun, and offer to send it out for repair, with the customer paying for shipping.
    I've been in the business wayyy too long to know all the BS involved with the Wally's and Dick's types. Some people will sell you anything, just for the sake of selling. BTW, That's where Customer Service comes into effect.
    I had a first time handgun buyer come to the manager last night. He (the manager who's known me for some 25 yrs now) directed him to me, who he deems as the "handgun expert'
    Now, after about a good hour or more . the Customer, who gave me all his criteria for his first handgun, is walking out with something he's going to really enjoy. I sold him a Springfield Armory XD-40 with hi caps, and that bright stainless looking slide. (I showed him no less than 20 different handguns including 1911s)
    He wanted a Glock, but also didn't feel comfy with just the "safety' on the trigger system. He felt comfy with the grip safety on the SA as well as the features that the Sig (the takedown lever) the Glock (polymer frame) and Springer (grip angle and grip safety) had to offer. I felt, based on what I showed him and his requirments/requests, he got the best of all three, not to mention, hi caps, top performing caliber, and a great shooting gun he can stake his life on.
    NO "expert" here, but just a guy that loves what he does for a living , who knows his stuff
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

That's exactly why I go through my local FFL or a gun show or a local store. I want the person selling me that gun to know something about it, I want a reasonable price, I want to know what their terms are upfront, and I want to know the deal isn't crooked. I don't care what the venue is either to be honest.

There are sometimes chain stores that are pretty well run that I will shop at, and there is even one guy that works at the local Wal Fart I would purchase a gun from because he tells people straight up what the deal is and he will even refer people to other stores if they aren't comfortable with that. I've watched him do it.

But for handguns especially, I have gone though local stores and my FFL dealer. I don't pay any more than I would anywhere else, well $10 more that one time, I get what I want, and if I ever have any trouble with it they'll be there to help me.

There are local places I won't go in that are both chain stores and local stores because I've been there before and they pissed me off. I don't expect to be served coffee and donuts just because I came in to look at something, but I don't need to be told a bunch of stupid crap and I'm not there to be chiseled and cheated.

It is also worth remarking that sometimes the customers are more helpful than the salespeople, or more often than not much more annoying. I try not to let that cloud my judgement too much.

i got to admit i prefer one local gunstore ove rthe other even though gunstore is more expensive i prefer they offering a lifetime warrenty on new and used guns is very nice..

if it breaks they ship it out on there Dime Period used or new That alone is worth the extra 20$ it might cost me have i ever had to use it ???

Not yet but sometime i will have to it is a lifetime deal they have been there almost 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    i got to admit i prefer one local gunstore ove rthe other even though gunstore is more expensive i prefer they offering a lifetime warrenty on new and used guns is very nice..

if it breaks they ship it out on there Dime Period used or new That alone is worth the extra 20$ it might cost me have i ever had to use it ???

Not yet but sometime i will have to it is a lifetime deal they have been there almost 30 years
    There ya go.. . Bud's got the right track... Now............All I gotta do is show him the guns that he wants ... Eventually, he'll be one of my Customers

BTW.........That guy who bought the XD -40 from me, purchased it for 435.00 new

That's the other funny thing I've noticed: chain stores really are not competitive on prices on a lot of your mid range guns (read anything that costs more than $300).

Ooo im sure Ill buy from ya one day when ya find me what i want

<waving the several Wilsons, Baers, and Nighthawks amonst the Kimbers> Bud........you're getting sleepy...........You WANT one of these guns..............you'll drool over the case of over 150 1911s alone.........LOL............
    I'll find one.........or plenty more............for you........BTW..........Want a Ruger Super Redhawk Alakan in 454 Casull?? I have one for you........<whistling >

Not for at least a month im tapped out need another Glock at that time though

Some more Soulless Guns to be had yet

I c an't remember the last time i
    cocked one of my revolvers at the range,I shoot them like i carry them,hammer down and D/A.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links