H&K Report

H&K Report

This is a discussion on H&K Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In an earlier thread, I discussed my anxiety over making a selection between a Sig and a H&K, before and after I ordered the H&K. ...

Thread: H&K Report

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

H&K Report

In an earlier thread, I discussed my anxiety over making a selection between a Sig and a H&K, before and after I ordered the H&K. Well, I received the USP 40 and took it to the range. WOW!! This is one fantastic weapon. I fired 200 rounds without any hint of a problem. The gun shoots better than I do. I did slow fire and rapid (for me) sets, mostly at 7 yds.
    I had taken my CZ 40P along to try again. I have had problems with the CZ failing to chamber a round. I had polished the feed ramp, changed the recoil spring and had several types of .40 S&W to try. The gun has consistantly been a problem with hollow points, and mixed results with metal jackets. No improvement this go round. After shooting the H&K, I was very disgusted with the CZ. I know they have a good reputation, but I think now that they are better designed for the 9mm pointed bullets than the .40, with the flat points. I am tired of trying to make a shooter out of a gun that is supposed to be well designed. Therefore.................
    I dumped the CZ and ordered another H&K, this one the USP compact 40. Now, I have two H&K's, both in .40 S&W, one full size and one compact.
    I wish I knew earlier what I know now. I have a Ruger 944 that is a great, reliable shooter, and the two H&K's, which I consider the best semi auto pistol on the market. There are so many choices available that it is hard to know what's best. I am certainly not trying to insult anyone elses choices or start a contraversial thread on who has the best choice. What I have found out is that what is best for me is the H&K in the higher end selections and the Ruger in the more economical range. Both H&K's carry well concealed for me. The Ruger is a bit large, but I can carry it nicely in a fanny pack, which I use on my motorcycle when I go to work, which is a private school, where I cannot carry inside. I can lock the fanny pack in a carrier that I have on the back of the bike. The H&K's carry well in an IWB with a vest over them.
    I apologize for the length of this thread, but I wanted to share my experience with you folks.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Glad to see a good report. Keep up the shooting and show us some pics.

Assistant Administrator
    No probs on thread length OG - always good to have a comprehensive write up and comments. Thx for your trouble.

Well - not too surprised to hear your immediate affections for HK's - I would say overall, and leaving aside minor ergonomic aspects - the HK and SIG are very close runners. We could probably shoot side by side, swap and continue shooting happily!

Sad tho re that CZ - not much experience with that model but - does look like time to give up on it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Glad ya like yer HK. Have owned my USP full size .40 since '93. I have never had a problem with it , and the HE finish is really tough. I would rate it as good or better than the Glock Tennifer process, and Glocks have a good tough coat on them too. Some folks don't like the sharp checkering on the HK's ,but I found once I got used to it, no problem .

OG,

Don't apologize for the lenght of an informative and well put together post. It's great to get an objective view of a product.
    Keep 'em coming.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Congrats Glad you like the Hk they are a great Gun all i have is the Usp 45 but i like it

CZ-40s seem to have more ammo pickiness than anything I've seen - the old Mag-tec 180s with a particular taper were the only thing I could get to have them function in a customer's gun.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    Glad to see a good report. Keep up the shooting and show us some pics.
    Sorry, Bruce. I don't have a digital camera.

I would also like to add that I ordered some spare mags from CDNN. They shipped promptly and sent a free pair of shooters glasses, a digital watch for hanging on a belt loop (a caribiner sp?), and a copy of Stoeger's Shooters Bible, 2005 edition. All this with an order for three cheaper 10 rd. mags. Nice company I think.

Question H&k Usp 45

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Glad ya like yer HK. Have owned my USP full size .40 since '93. I have never had a problem with it , and the HE finish is really tough. I would rate it as good or better than the Glock Tennifer process, and Glocks have a good tough coat on them too. Some folks don't like the sharp checkering on the HK's ,but I found once I got used to it, no problem .
    My full size USP 45 (LEM trigger module & Night Sights) is only a few days from being delivered to me. I shall post pics and a review. I can't carry it until the Blade Tech holster I ordered is delivered in LATE January! I'm considering a Galco "Concealable" model before that.

I think that IWB is going to be a problem due to the guns size. But I really wanted a RELIABLE hi-cap 45! Anybody care to weigh in on this one (Full Size USP 45 carried IWB)? I'm a pretty big guy, but I dunno.

As far as the sharp checkering, count me as one who doesn't like it! Why buy one then? I figured out how to get around this: HOGUE HAND-ALL for $10. I have three 12rd mags coming with the gun. I plan on picking up two more of these mags which I'll get for $35 each. Anybody know if this is a good deal on those mags?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    My full size USP 45 (LEM trigger module & Night Sights) is only a few days from being delivered to me. I shall post pics and a review. I can't carry it until the Blade Tech holster I ordered is delivered in LATE January! I'm considering a Galco "Concealable" model before that.

I think that IWB is going to be a problem due to the guns size. But I really wanted a RELIABLE hi-cap 45! Anybody care to weigh in on this one (Full Size USP 45 carried IWB)? I'm a pretty big guy, but I dunno.

As far as the sharp checkering, count me as one who doesn't like it! Why buy one then? I figured out how to get around this: HOGUE HAND-ALL for $10. I have three 12rd mags coming with the gun. I plan on picking up two more of these mags which I'll get for $35 each. Anybody know if this is a good deal on those mags?
    I had the hand all grip on mine. Added too much bulk and slower the draw as the rubber stuck on clothes a bit. Try the factory grip for a week, bet ya get used to it. As for concealability, I find I can conceal my full size .40 with little difficulty, just need to get pants a bit oversized in the waist for IWB. I am only 5 '10" and 180 or so.

I carried the Fullsize IWB but the hammer kept digging into my side hard to find a IWB for the gun desantis wont make one and few other companys wont either .

If i could find one with a guard/sweat shiled that came up to the Hammer then i would possible pack it more

As for sharp checkering you can lightly sand it down.. or it will wear some the handall is to large for some people i took mine off as i couldnt get as fast a grip with the handall

Its all personal preferance

Lead Moderator
    perhaps you need to contact 1 of our custom holster makers on this site Bud. I remember when I got my HK USP, took Strong leather a year to make a LH 3 slot holster for me.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    OG

glad you like the HK. I love mine too!!! I'm so torn between picking up a Sig (probably a 229 in .357 SIG) or an HK P7 in 9mm. I know the P7 is expensive, but from what I've seen, the prices are only going to go up...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Administrator

Thumbs up Great Report Older Gunner.

And (for sure) not too long!
    Great reading.
    HK sure makes one heckova fine firearm.
    I guess you already know that...by now.
    Congratulations on your TWO fine H&K handguns.

Links