Need help with HK

Need help with HK

This is a discussion on Need help with HK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys, what I have is a HK usp compact 9mm with the LEM trigger. I found out prior to buying the gun that the ...

Thread: Need help with HK

Need help with HK

Ok guys, what I have is a HK usp compact 9mm with the LEM trigger. I found out prior to buying the gun that the LEM trigger, for me, is the worst trigger I have ever had on a pistol. What I want to do is install a match trigger variant 1 with a spurred hammer. So not only do I need the match trigger kit, but I also need the safety control lever. Im not going to attempt to do this work myself, so I also need someone qualified to install the parts. I called HK and they told me that they didn't have any of the match trigger kits in stock. They told me if I did it through them it would run me $230, and could possibly take up to 3 months. I thought that sounded way to long and expensive. I live in Wichita and would like to have it done locally if possible. I've taken it to several local gunsmiths and none of them said they were qualified to work on it. So any suggestions on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated. I think this pistol has alot of potential to be a great gun if I can get this trigger cleaned up.

I bought my Match trigger from these folks HK USP Match Trigger Kits
    Everything will fit but the trigger itself.

Also do a search on hkpro for the variant 1 parts
    I found this from a search WTB: USP Variant 1 parts - HKPRO Forums
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Lead Moderator
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Gordon's Wigwam might be worth a call.

Gordon's Wigwam Trading
    Category: Where-To-Buy/Sporting Goods KS
    Gordon's Wigwam Trading

Gordon's Wigwam Trading
    501 South St. Francis
    Wichita, KS 67202

Phone: 316-264-5891
    Fax:

I know it's had an owner-change, since '96, but Curtis Wellman (I think that was his last name) used to work there as a smith. Looks like they've gone more brown than black rifle, though, so...

Dunno, but +1 on hkpro.com.

-john

Well thanks for all the help guys. I went on HK pros website and got ahold of this guy that is going to put on all the variant 1 parts, the match trigger with spurred hammer for $150 which includes return shipping. Now I will hopefully enjoy this gun.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Is it Bill Springfield. My difference with you is that I like the LEM and will have it lightened by him to a consistant 5lbs. I have found the sweet spot on mine and fire fast and accurate since. I took the advice I got on Brian Enos forum, pull the trigger keep the trigger depressed. put the front sight on the target, release the trigger until it clicks and pull again. The click is a very short stroke and I really keep this on target.

The thing I hated about the LEM trigger was the the spuggy feeling the trigger has right before it breaks. I had NO consistent grouping with the LEM. I have lately got used to a crisp 1911 trigger pull. On occasion I would bring the HK along to the range to try to make myself like it. I would shoot a couple clips and want to throw it in the trash. I know that nothing is going to rival a 1911 trigger pull. I just sometimes want something a little more rugged than a 1911 to carry. I have a Kimber aegis 9mm I love and is dead on every time. The only thing is unless its a 45, I want a little higher capacity. So Im thinking my USP cocked and locked with the match trigger will fullfill what I need in a carry gun. By the way the guy doing the work is Phil Flack of PF Custom Guns out of North Carolina.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I've gotten as good with my LEM triggers as my 1911 (I have 7 of them) but it took mucho practice. The key is holding the trigger back until you bring the sights back on target and then let off the trigger until it sets and no farther. Once you get it down it is really smooth and fast.
    That said I'm going to have Bill Springfield do all of my LEM triggers also so I have a perfect 5lb pull. The thing about the P2K is it is so easy to carry and conceal and you can't break one.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    Well thanks for all the help guys. I went on HK pros website and got ahold of this guy that is going to put on all the variant 1 parts, the match trigger with spurred hammer for $150 which includes return shipping. Now I will hopefully enjoy this gun.
    That's not a bad deal with shipping included...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Gordon's Wigwam might be worth a call.

Gordon's Wigwam Trading
    Category: Where-To-Buy/Sporting Goods KS
    Gordon's Wigwam Trading

Gordon's Wigwam Trading
    501 South St. Francis
    Wichita, KS 67202

Phone: 316-264-5891
    Fax:

I know it's had an owner-change, since '96, but Curtis Wellman (I think that was his last name) used to work there as a smith. Looks like they've gone more brown than black rifle, though, so...
    The Wigwam has moved in with The Bullet Stop on Pawnee.

As far as I remember there is NO match kit for the Compact. What you can do is install half the trigger kit but you will not be able to use all the parts. You would be better off, install the V1 parts and having a full trigger job. Look up the people who do them on HKpro, I cant remember the guys name, but he will do a 3lb pull on the USP as long as it is not a carry gun. He does solid work and is recommend by many of us. Man I wish I could remember his name.

Links