Kel Tec PF 9 (9 mm)

Kel Tec PF 9 (9 mm)

This is a discussion on Kel Tec PF 9 (9 mm) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought a new Kel Tec PF9 and just love this little gun. The thing is light weight, smaller than my wallet, and holds 8 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel Tec PF 9 (9 mm)

Kel Tec PF 9 (9 mm)

Just bought a new Kel Tec PF9 and just love this little gun. The thing is light weight, smaller than my wallet, and holds 8 (7+1) 9mm+p's.

Anyone else find this as cool as I do?

I have a SIG P220 carry, a SIG P226 Elite, a Springfield 1911 Loaded, and a S&W Model 60 Stainless .357 magnum (my old carry)...but I always carry the new Kel Tec instead cause it's just so easy...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I don't have one but have "fondled" one alot in the store. I do like the value/price point so long as it turns out to be reliable. If not, I do have experience with Keltecs warranty and they do service well! I'd be curious to see how snappy it is due to it's weight. I have a kahr P9 and it's a bit snappy so I expect this will be similar, albiet controllable.

Liked the first one so well I bought a second. Carry it more than rest of my guns combined.

got the p11 ,still carry my 1911 45 mostly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have all 4 Kel-tecs and the PF9 works for carry purposes when most larger 9/40/45 guns would never work. It has been very reliable for me, fits my large hands (short trigger finger) and easy to carry pocket, IWB, Appendix or OWB.

I would recommend it to anyone with a SN R6xxxxx or larger.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I have all 4 Kel-tecs and the PF9 works for carry purposes when most larger 9/40/45 guns would never work. It has been very reliable for me, fits my large hands (short trigger finger) and easy to carry pocket, IWB, Appendix or OWB.

+1 to the above.

I have three K-T's, including a PF-9, and I've had no problems with any of them. The PF-9 is DEFINATELY not a target pistol and shooting more than a box of ammo at a time can be tough on the hands, but for what it's designed to do (an up close and personal, shoot a little but carry a lot SD pistol), it does very well.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post

Yeah but where do you get leather for it?

Kel Tec PF9

I have not thought about leather yet. It fits perfectly in the cheap Uncle Mike's #0 revolver holster that I bought for my S&W Model 60. It fits really well in my front pocket and is easy to tuck IWB.

If I need to wear an OWB leather holster, I would probably carry one of my SIG's or 1911 anyway.

I have only fired FMJ practice rounds so far and am trying to determine a carry round to try since it's a small, light gun. I was considering Golden Sabre 124 +p or Gold Dot 124 +p "short barrel" ammo. I see guys discuss Winchester Silvertip and "WWB" (whatever WWB is?).

Any suggestions? Maybe +p is overkill? Note: I'm 6'2" and 250lbs so recoil isn't heavy for me, although if it's hot and sweaty out, it may be difficult to grip tightly.

I really appreciate the feedback and thank you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smith10 View Post
    Yeah but where do you get leather for it?
    Keltec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    I have only fired FMJ practice rounds so far and am trying to determine a carry round to try since it's a small, light gun. I was considering Golden Sabre 124 +p or Gold Dot 124 +p "short barrel" ammo. I see guys discuss Winchester Silvertip and "WWB" (whatever WWB is?).
    Gold Dot and Golden Sabre are good rounds, but I expect shooting +P in that little gun will be uncomfortable at the range. Of course in an SD scenario you won't even notice, but you want to practice with it enough to know how it shoots and handles your SD load. Although such a small pistol isn't intended for distance shooting, you wouldn't want to introduce a subconscious flinch reflex when your life might depend on accuracy (and it could lead to flinching with other weapons too).

WWB = Winchester White Box. It's cheap FMJ range ammo. Silvertips are okay, but far from state-of-the-art in JHP. Look at Federal HST or Winchester Ranger SXT (formerly Black Talon). Both can be hard to find at a local gun store (especially if you aren't LE) but can be found online if you look around. They are legal for civilian use, but manufacturer policy is to sell only to LEO's, so you have to hunt a bit to find them.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I did the bicycle tubing trick and it has really helped getting a good grip. I also bought some of the grip extensions and filed them down so the edges are not sharp at all and the fronts don't dig into me pinky any more when shooting. I go with Pow'r Ball in all my autos. They feed and expand like defensive ammo should. I had my slide melted and ceracoated. Will take some pics when I get home.

Here are those pics:

Last edited by Danimal; September 11th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.

My young bride and I both have P-3ATs, and they're great BUGs.

I've thought a lot about having a compact 9mm, but just can't bring myself to buy a PF-9. Something about the feel of it, just doesn't seem right to me. I think I'm going to spend the extra bucks and get one of the compact Kahrs, either PM-9 or MK-9 (if I can find a good deal).
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

My post was a joke for MNburl, He makes holsters.

Side Guard Holsters - Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    My young bride and I both have P-3ATs, and they're great BUGs.

I've thought a lot about having a compact 9mm, but just can't bring myself to buy a PF-9. Something about the feel of it, just doesn't seem right to me. I think I'm going to spend the extra bucks and get one of the compact Kahrs, either PM-9 or MK-9 (if I can find a good deal).
    I also have a pm9 and I think if you can swing it the kahr is a much better gun.

For a Kahr on a budget, try the CW9. Only slightly larger than a PM9 (0.6" longer and 0.5" taller), 15.8oz instead of 14oz. Front sight is pinned instead of dovetailed, conventional instead of polygonal rifling, slide release is molded instead of machined, and it comes with 1 mag instead of 2. Other than that, same Kahr action and quality, for $400 or less if you shop around. Got mine for $369. It will be the wife's primary carry weapon (just got her CCW in the mail yesterday!) assuming she's comfortable with it, if not it will be my BUG or lightweight carry pistol.

Comparison of CW9 and P9 from Kahr's website:

David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links