Thoughts on Ruger P345 .45ACP

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Ruger P345 .45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting a .45 just to see what all the fuss is about. I don't want to spend $1500+ for a nightstand ...

Thread: Thoughts on Ruger P345 .45ACP

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

I am looking at getting a .45 just to see what all the fuss is about. I don't want to spend $1500+ for a nightstand gun so I thought I would test the waters with the Ruger P345. Does anyone here have the gun? And if so, what are your impressions? Thanks for the feedback.

Proud owner - great weapon. Load it, pull the trigger, it fires. No firing 300-400 rounds to test it and see if it works. I'm 100% confident in it. Some think the gun is just plain ugly. I happen to like it, think it's beautiful - and it works, every time. No stovepipes, FTEs, FTFs. Carried Rugers since 1966. Nice people at Ruger, too.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I had one only traded it cuz i wanted a .357 mag and couldn't aford to pay cash. It worked real well and no ftf. Only down side I saw was the stupid mag safty

I always thought they were way too wide. Kind of like my wife...

I recently got a used P345.(got it at very good price) I did have a couple FTF during my first 75 rounds, but I think it was my fault. I had already shot double my normal amount before I even bought the P345, so my form was probably weak. I haven't had a chance yet to go back and fire it again yet. Other than the FTFs, I thought it was a great gun. Very smooth trigger both DA/SA. I like the DA trigger pull more than my issued G21. Once I get a chance to go back to the range and shoot it again,I'm sure I'll find out that the FTFs were my fault and not the guns.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by G96X0 View Post
    I always thought they were way too wide. Kind of like my wife...
    But you married her anyway right?

I like mine slim and German. I carry a Walther PPS and go with a 105 pound girl who goes by the last name of Schneider.

But seriously, I think the price on the P345 is a definite sweet-spot. $479 out the door. I was looking hard at a couple others; the Walther P99 AS is $659 and the S&W 910 is $549. I think the Ruger is going to come home with me next time I go to the candy store.

I have one. Never a misfeed. To me it's big for EDC. Comfy grip. Nice gun.

M&P 45

Just picked one up at our local gun shop for $485.00. That was with a 10% discount. Although, I entertained getting one of these because a friend has one. I also have a P944 in .40 which I've had no problems with.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I had a P94 in .40 once upon a time... It was way too wide for CC, but it never had a problem going bang. Haven't held the 345, but I can't imagine Ruger made their .45 smaller than their .40.

Again, no complaints on Ruger's reliability, just size - well, that and I'm not such a fan of DA/SA guns... I say either DAO or SAO... pick a trigger pull and train with it!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I've heard good things about them but I've also heard you shouldn't dry fire them with the mag removed.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryDonlan View Post
    Just picked one up at our local gun shop for $485.00. That was with a 10% discount. Although, I entertained getting one of these because a friend has one. I also have a P944 in .40 which I've had no problems with.
    Let me know how she shoots and your impressions if you make it out to the range this weekend. Thanks.

I've had mine for over two years now. It has been very reliable, very, very accurate. It is alot slimmer than the old P97's, and is even thinner than the P94's and P95's. As for CCW weight wize it wouldn't be any different than packing a Glock 23. Get one you won't regret it!!!

Thumbs up Saifu Answer

Had it to the range and was surprised how nice it shot for a .45. Came right back on target real nice with less recoil than I expected. My groups were low and to the left. However, they are there with any gun I shoot. I'm working on it. I'm sure there are other folks on here than can give you some feedback. I just love the thing. Got to get a good holster so I can carry it this Fall and Winter.

Sponsored Links