Bersa Handguns

This is a discussion on Bersa Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, just need som quick opinions of Bersa handguns. I am thinking of getting one. Probably the 45 Thunder ultra. I do not know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa Handguns

Question Bersa Handguns

Hey all, just need som quick opinions of Bersa handguns. I am thinking of getting one. Probably the 45 Thunder ultra. I do not know anything about them and I do not know anyone who has one. So i figured that some poeple here would have an opinion on this gun manufacture. Good, bad indeferent, I want to hear it all.
    Thanks,
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

2. Remove Ads

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hts-bersa.htmlthe search function works pretty good for me. OTOH I have read posts where people say they are great and all, but I have also seen pictures and read about some mag/trigger/safety breaking and rendering the gun useless. Not for me on a carry gun.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I like mine and have not had any problems with it to speak of it is a duo tone Bersa Thunder.

Here is a thread about them, I couldn't get the previous posters thread to come up.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-any-good.html
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Fixed
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Do a search their are tons of articles on bersa. It seems to come up every couple of weeks. Oh P.S. Bersas are awsome for the price

I like Bersa(s), but have never owned. Wife likes them as well.

However the anti-Bersa "talk" did the trick, and I can't get past this lack of confidence if I needed for SD. My reasonable mind tells me they are a good product, not good for trade, a little weak on the finish, great for the price.

I would like to own one, but have other places to spend the money. I just don't have the funds to spend on a collection. Every firearm I have serves a function (CC SD, home SD, hunting).

Quote Originally Posted by crookcatchr View Post
    Good, bad indeferent, I want to hear it all.
    OK, here's the good. Bersa pistols are relatively inexpensive and if you get a good one you will probably be very happy with it. Here's the bad. Quality control is not on a par with some similar pistols costing twice as much (surprise!) and you may get a lemon. The quality control issue makes carrying a Bersa as a primary SD weapon something of an issue.

I bought a Thunder .380 a few months ago and had some serious FTF problems. The .380 model also has some problems with a certain spring breaking or popping free, which disables the trigger. I bought a S&W 642 for carry and am still deciding if I am comfortable carrying the Bersa. I like shooting it (when it works) it is accurate and easy to shoot.

I would advise you to search on-line (esp. Bersa Talk) for any specific problems relating to the Bersa .45. Generally, larger locked-breech pistols are more reliable.

My Bersa 45 has been great. Get the stainless version and no worries on finish.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    The Thunder .380 is a great gun. I paid $279 for the all black model. The two-tone was $20 less for some reason but all my guns are black so I wanted to keep the trend alive. Very good build quality and much easier on the hand than my Ruger LCP. I appreciate the additional mass to even out the recoil. You won't be disappointed.

Bersa .380

I had one but it broke a spring and I couldn't trust it. I replaced it with an M&P 9c. I really loved the gun up until I couldn't trust it. The people that have them love them also. Plus, you can't beet the price. Go to Bersa Talk and you will find tons of information. :: Bersa Talk ::

EW3
    I pocket a Bersa Thunder 380CC and have confidence in it, no problems here. In fact, it's one of a few in my collection that has never had a jam or other problem.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Bought a Bersa CC, moved up to a Thunder, and finially a Thunder Plus. Never had a problem or issue with any of them.

You'll always find someone who will say they had issues with any make or model of weapon. Contnue to do your research, but I think you'll find that Bersa is a fine sidearm.

Just to make sure there are no misconceptions, the Bersa 380 and the larger Bersa 9/40/45 model pistols use COMPLETELY different designs, so don't confuse one model with the other. It would be like comparing Rugers MKII .22 pistol or their new 380 LCP pistol to the Ruger "P" series 9/45 pistols.

That being said, I've owned Bersa pistols since the 1970's and currently have six of them in various calibers and models. My UC-45 has had around 2,000 rounds shot through it in the 4 years I've owned it and I think it's one of the best kept secrets out there when is comes to compact 45's. FWIW, my PERSONAL preference is for my 13+1 rd UC-9, but they are mechanically and visually identical to the 7+1 rd UC-45. The guns are accurate, very user friendly, affordable and as reliable as the day is long. If you can fire 200 rds through a particular gun w/o any problems, the odds are 99+% you never will. There were reported problems with weak recoil springs on some pre-'05 Bersa 45's causing FTF/FTE with some types of ammo but that problem has since been fixed and there is literally nobody than can find fault (other than complaints about the finish on some guns not looking as "finished" as on some other guns costing much more) with any of the Bersa 9mm pistols.

I highly recommend all the Bersa pistols and not only would, but DO trust my life to them!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I had the thunder .380, excellent gun for the money, I put 100 rounds thru it no problems, its darn accurate, and feels nice in the hand, but money got tight last year and I had to sell it, it was about the same weight as my glock 23 (both empty) and roughly the same size, so I kept the Glock, twice the fire power.

VIP Member
    I have a Firestorm Mini Thunder .40 (made by Bersa). Gun has been very reliable and accurate. Although not my carry weapon it is my truck gun. Only real drawback I see on Bersa is the cost of magazines. They come with 1 and additional mags are going to run you $35-55 .
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links