Shooting from "inside" a pocket; how important? - Page 2

Shooting from "inside" a pocket; how important?

This is a discussion on Shooting from "inside" a pocket; how important? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only pocket carry in a right front pocket holster. So, unless I am already standing on a BG's throat I will need to draw....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I only pocket carry in a right front pocket holster. So, unless I am already standing on a BG's throat I will need to draw.

The concept of shooting through the pocket has nothing to do with pants pockets... it's all about holding a revolver in your hand while your hand is in a coat pocket while you walk in areas where oncomers who you might presume a non-threat suddenly become a threat when they are up close and in your face. Any smart mugger will play it cool until they are a foot or two from you and in your face.... THEN, then get the drop on you... good luck pulling a gun from a holster under such circumstances.

I carry semi-autos the vast majority of the time. The only time I carry a revolver is when I anticipate the situation where I might be walking and could be suddenly threatened by a passer-by. Like while walking downtown streets at night (which I rarely do), or on a lonely stretch of a beach or a hike in the woods... in these and similar situations, people that approach may be friend or foe and you will never know which until they are within a foot or two of you. At that point, there's no way you could pull from a holster quickly enough to deal with a sudden attack. But a 640 or 642 in a coat pocket can be held, ready to fire in an instant, throughout the entire time, unbeknownst to anyone. And should no threat be presented, all is fine, you have not revealed your arms.

Scenario: you're hiking in a secluded area like a remote trail... someone approaches you on the trail seemingly non threatening, but just as they are passing within a foot or two of you, they suddenly turn and present a threat. Or they stop to ask you a question and while talking they suddenly turn on you. If you were prepared for this, you would have a hammerless (internal hammer) revolver in your hand, both in your coat pocket, ready to pull the trigger in an instant if need be.

No one is any the wiser that you are not only armed but capable of firing within an instant. If no threat presents itself, no harm done, no weapon revealed. If you are suddenly threatened, you can fire if need be straight through the coat, instantly. That's the strategic power of carrying an internal hammer revolver in a coat pocket.

Any time I'm going for a walk where I could encounter passers by in a remote place (trail hike, beach stroll, downtown streets at night), I will pack a semi-auto (usually a G19, G30, or 1911 bobtail Commander) IWB as I always do, but I will also consider carrying a 640 or 642 in my hand in a coat pocket (no holster for the revo), so that if I saw anyone approaching who I might have some doubt about, I can fire instantly if necessary. Who cares about the coat??? And if the coat catches fire, I'll peel it off. That will most likely be the least of my worries.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

The root of the question is hammer or hammerless. An exposed hammer is simply another lever that may be jammed/gripped to deactivate your revolver, and doesn't offer any significant benefit on a small revo with a smooth action.

So, in context, pocket firing isn't high on my priority list, but hammerless design is.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Shooting from a Pocket is not an issue for me as i simply would not do it for several reasons. However like others here i prefer a " hammerless " or pocket hammer ( no hammer spur ) or shrouded small revolver when i carry revolver. The reason is that i have had the spur on smiths and colts hang up on the lining of some coat pockets . Its not a huge issue because a simple change to the draw grip makes a hangup nearly impossible , but that also adds one more step to your weapons presentation . Nowadays tho even my bug is an auto for the most part .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I can't imagine why anyone would even consider choosing a revolver with a spur hammer (not internal hammer) for shooting from inside a pocket. Is there some controversy about this? Only internal hammer revolvers (e.g. centennial-style, 640, 642, et al.) should be used for shooting from inside a coat pocket.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

No way. I f I put a hole in my pants. My wife woulde kick my ass.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    The concept of shooting through the pocket has nothing to do with pants pockets... it's all about holding a revolver in your hand while your hand is in a coat pocket while you walk in areas where oncomers who you might presume a non-threat suddenly become a threat when they are up close and in your face. Any smart mugger will play it cool until they are a foot or two from you and in your face.... THEN, then get the drop on you... good luck pulling a gun from a holster under such circumstances.
    +1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links