Bobbed hammers

Bobbed hammers

This is a discussion on Bobbed hammers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Rossi .357 snubbie that is a great little gun, the only thing I don't like about it is the hammer. Had anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobbed hammers

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Bobbed hammers

I have a Rossi .357 snubbie that is a great little gun, the only thing I don't like about it is the hammer. Had anyone taken a dremmel to one and "bobbed" the hammer?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

You might smooth it with a Dremel tool, but I'd bet it would take you quite a while to 'bob' it! Sort of wish a bobbed hammer was available for my P220, but it's not that much of an issue since I mainly carry it OWB.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    BAD idea unless you also remove the full cock notch. In the early 80s it was all the rage for officers in my area to file down the hammers of subs . A bunch of them ran around with a pistol which could wind up cocked with no way to safely decock it . If you decide to mod your revolver please take the time to fully convert it to DAO function . Also be aware that lightning the hammer may lead to light strikes on the primer so you may have to change out springs which will change that trigger pull sometimes dramaticly .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I had thought about the light hammer strikes and possibly having to change out springs, but I hadn't thought about the possibility of a Full cock scenario, which could be a real problem! Thanks RR

I have bobbed the hammer on a few J-frames. Use a dremmel cut-off wheel, then a grinding wheel, the a series of sand paper. Cut a feww lines in the top of the hammer to allow you to lower the hammer if you screw up and cock it. With the stock spring, I have not had any light primer hits. If you screw up, a new hammer is not that expensive. Take you time and think. When done, go out and try it with a 100 plus rounds and use it to get comfortable.
    PS - It's not that hard to disable the single action if you want.
    Look it up and read.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    NP flagflyfish Its a case where experience speaks . As the Range Officer / Firearms Instructor the " half conversions " were so common ( and so unsafe ) that anything with a " bobbed " hammer got a quick safety inspection by me . If it was " bobbed " and had a full cock notch intact i would not allow it on my range . This ment you could not qualify with it and thusly could not carry it . It didnt make me real popular with some officers of the day but i am firmly convinced it kept some of the " fumble fools " with exactly the same number of holes in their body that the good lord gave them , as well as drummed up some business for the local gunsmiths as may of the " Dremil and File Corp " were strangely reluctant to pop the sideplate .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

bobbed hammers

Bobbed the hammers on all my 36's,60's and 1 696. I feel they are no different than a 642,to name just one j frame. You don't squeeze the trigger until you want it to go boom.All my j frames were bobbed to carry IWB or pocket carry. If you remove the hammer from the frame and use a dremel cut off wheel , you cant do a clean and mirror polished job on any wheelgun.As far as light primer strikes.it is a non issue if you started with a good main spring. The hammer will be lighter,so it will drop faster,striking the primer harder than before. Basicaly it all comes down on how you train. For safety reasons, don't carry this way unless you practice,practice,practice.
    Last edited by Blademan21; September 15th, 2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added info

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You might smooth it with a Dremel tool, but I'd bet it would take you quite a while to 'bob' it! Sort of wish a bobbed hammer was available for my P220, but it's not that much of an issue since I mainly carry it OWB.
    Get a DAK hammer and see if it can be mated it to your gun.

I don't know if you can do it with the SAO, but it would be something to look into.

Here's my S&W 360PD with bobbed hammer and action job done by C&S, I can still shoot single action when I want to and safely decock it. So far I haven't been able to snag the hammer on anything.

*Note* Firearm is empty, hammer cocked to show how hammer relates to the rest of the gun when cocked.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have bobbed a few hammers no problems. I never had a gun cock by accident. When I bobb the hammer I leave just enough so I can cock it by pinching it with my thumb and index finger if I should feel the need for a single action shot. If it were to cock some how I can still let it down safely.

Question from a bottom feeder owner (1st revolver will be next purchase)

Is it not possible to open the cylinder with the hammer cocked?

Dauff

Is it not possible to open the cylinder with the hammer cocked?
    No, once the hammer on a DA/SA is cocked, the cylinder is in battery/ locked.

Thanks for everyone's imput!! I can get a new hammer for the gun for $12 + shipping. Sooooo, I'm going to bob the hammer that I have and take RR's advice and smooth the full cock notch, I cracked open the sideplate and looked it all over carefully, doesn't seem to be a big deal. The cost of bobbing this hammer is certainly a lot less expensive than a new revolver.
    All of the advice was great and that's why I keep hangin' around here, now, any advice on women?

Yes - stick with guns - they are cheaper and cause let problems
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

+1 on Paul45's response!
    I bobbed the hammer on my Chief's Airweight and have had NO problems whatsoever.
    It's meant to fire DA and that's how I fire it.
    I don't believe I've ever fired it SA and see no need to thumb cock a snubby.
    Just my pair of coppers.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I bobbed the hammer on my Taurus 85. I would recommend taking a few close up pics of the insides after you take the side plate off. It really hepled me getting it back together. If you want to PM me I can send them to you. I would assume that the insides of the Taurus and Rossi are the same. I also bought a new spring set from Wolff and it really smoothed out the action.
    Last edited by Danimal; September 16th, 2008 at 08:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links