Glock trigger pull weights and options.

This is a discussion on Glock trigger pull weights and options. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive seen on the forum where you can get different trigger weights on the Glock trigger. Is this something that is done by Glock after ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock trigger pull weights and options.

Glock trigger pull weights and options.

Ive seen on the forum where you can get different trigger weights on the Glock trigger. Is this something that is done by Glock after you purchase and send it back in? I kindof doubted that you could actually purchase the trigger weight you want if you order the gun thru your local gunshop. I am a XD carrier, and like the grip safety, but Im wanting a G36. I am new to glocks. I just thought I may want a slightly stiffer pull, and wasnt sure if this is something that a gunsmith does, or what. thanks

It feels great in the hand. I really want a 1911, and I dont mind paying the $1000 price tag. But, If its not ready to go right out of the box, and its iffy, and finicky, I just dont need it. For a grand, it better be perfect. Anyway, off topic here. Just wanted info on different trigger weight pulls. thanks guys
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Depending on where in Texas you live....try the gun shows. Most of them have a Glock guy that can fix you up. If you live near Rockwall Texas there is a Glock Store. Any amorer can install this in about 5 minutes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

The "bomb-proof" Glock trigger is generally considered a 3.5# connector with a NY trigger spring (Olive version). Since the stock trigger spring is a coil, it's a bit more prone to breakage than the NY's leaf spring config. It's a DIY that you can search on multiple forums.

I brought the glock trigger alive on my g19. I bought overtravel stop. A 3.5lb connector, and polished all the metal on metal components. I personsonally hated the glock 'safe action' trigger so I modified that as well. While I had the trigger off the gun I drilled and tapped a small 3/32 hole in the trigger were it meets the frame. I put in a set screw to make the trigger only go out past its reset. There are NO safeties on the gun at this point with a pull just shy of 3.5lbs. This setup requires a holster and extra caution if your going to carry it.

That's a MAJOR Overhaul, All Right...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    I brought the glock trigger alive on my g19. I bought overtravel stop. A 3.5lb connector, and polished all the metal on metal components. I personsonally hated the glock 'safe action' trigger so I modified that as well. While I had the trigger off the gun I drilled and tapped a small 3/32 hole in the trigger were it meets the frame. I put in a set screw to make the trigger only go out past its reset. There are NO safeties on the gun at this point with a pull just shy of 3.5lbs. This setup requires a holster and extra caution if your going to carry it.
    I'm glad you're happy with what you've done concerning those trigger modifications you describe, but I'd be very cautious with any Glock "fixed" that way and strictly limit its use to paper-punching on a square range.

I would get involved in this thread and make some good suggestions as well as head some folks in the right direction. However, I feel now that it's in my best interest not to........this thread is already starting to scare me. I will say this though.......the only way you can buy a new factory Glock pistol is with the standard weight factory pull weight of approximately 5.5lbs. While parts are available for almost any combination one might want, I don't know of any certified Glock armorers that would change the stock configuration for you unless it's for a heavier pull. I suggest those contemplating changing the pull weight of their stock Glock pistols do some research on their own and consider whether or not your modifications will be a benefit or a hindrance to your otherwise safe, factory Glock set-up especially when it comes to a pistol you'll be using for carry. Most reputable outlets of these aftermarket parts specifically do not suggest the 3.5# connector for anything other than competition, and most reputable gunsmiths and dealers wouldn't make the swap for you for liability purposes alone. Have a nice day.

There are a lot of people, web sites, etc that can tell you how to safely change the trigger wt on a glock.
    1 st - define what your use of the gun will be.
    2 nd - try other set-ups on friends Glocks or go to a local gun range
    3 rd - contact a Gunsmith, glock armorer, or gun shop you bought it from to change out the connector
    OR - you can learn how to do most of the std parts replacements youself - just be sure you do not attempt to modify parts - leave that to a pro. You can even lightly polish contact surfaces but don't get carried away. You can ruin parts and get an unsafe gun.

SAFETY 1st

Game use - I like the 3.5 lb (std on 34 & 35)
    Carry - I like the std 5.0 lb that is stock on most Glocks
    There are other combinations of parts but try someones 1st - it will save you money and problems.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Was gonna dispute things , made another thread insted . The op and other folk are welcome to join .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Since I was wanting to maybe add a greater trigger puller (stiffer), I would probably take it to my local gunstore and have them do it. But, this is only if I feel like I need it after I buy the gun and shoot it for awhile. I have gotton over the "keep your finger off the trigger" theology and carrying with one in the blow-hole. I was wanting to make sure that I could add weight if it came to that. It may be fine right out of the box, no big deal. I was just covering all bases before I make the purchase. thanks for input
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Accessories for Glock Pistols

One of the better sources I'll forward for informational purposes in this case and readily available over the internet. I hope you'll understand my previous apprehension once the lighter weight pulls started to emerge. Word for word, and I may be able to dig up more resources in the future for the serious minded.

TRIGGER ENHANCEMENTS
    The stock Glock trigger is very easy to manage and is conducive to accurate shooting. That said, many shooters transitioning from single-action pistols have difficulty adapting to Glock's Safe Action system. Additionally, the mass-produced stamped metal parts and slightly varying tolerances found in the Glock fire control system can result in a significantly different trigger "feel" from one stock Glock to the next. Fortunately, there are ways to customize or improve a Glock's trigger action simply by reconfiguring or working with the stock parts, rather than replacing them with expensive aftermarket parts that may render the gun unsafe.

The Trigger Bar - the serrated trigger face found on the compact and subcompact Glocks may be replaced with the smooth trigger found in the larger-frame pistols. Some find the smooth trigger to provide a more comfortable, positive contact between the trigger face and trigger finger. Note that the trigger is permanently attached to the trigger bar, so the whole assembly must be replaced. Additionally, the vertical extension of the trigger bar (which bears against the firing pin safety) and the rear "slope" (which bears against the connector) may be lightly polished to remove machining imperfections and generally smooth the trigger pull (see "Trigger Job in a Can" below).

The Trigger Spring - the standard Glock trigger spring is a coil-type unit that, when paired with the standard connector (see below), yields a nominal trigger pull of 5.5 lbs. This spring may be replaced with either the NY1 or the NY2 spring to create a heavier, more consistent (ie revolver-like) trigger pull of 8 or 12 lbs., respectively.

The Connector - this is an angled metal piece against which the trigger bar bears, creating resistance and giving the trigger pull much of its weight. The standard connector is unmarked. There is also a "-" or competition connector which results in a trigger pull of about 3.5 lbs. when used with the standard spring. This is the stock setup in Glock's 17L, 24, 34 and 35 competition pistols, but is generally regarded as too light for duty or self-defense use. Also available is the little-seen "+" connector, which produces a pull of roughly 8 lbs. with the standard spring. This is commonly found in police duty guns, and the feel is similar to that produced by the standard connector paired with the NY1 spring.

Using these three main components in various combinations, it is possible to greatly alter the trigger feel of a Glock pistol without sacrificing any of its safety or reliability properties, or voiding the factory warranty. WARNING! NEVER combine the NY1 or NY2 springs with the "+" connector! The resulting trigger pull may be too heavy to engage, or other reliability problems may arise.

The Carry Trigger - My preferred trigger configuration for a carry Glock is what I call the "carry trigger" (catchy name, huh?). It is really nothing more than a NY1 spring paired with a "-" connector. This combination provides resistance from the beginning, eliminating the initial slack or "dead space" found in the stock Glock trigger pull. This results in a more consistent, DAO-type feel, similar to my Kahrs or a tuned DA revolver. The NY1 spring also gives a more positive trigger reset which allows faster followup shots. Finally, the "-" connector eliminates much of the weight added by the NY1 spring, keeping the pull weight to somewhere near stock (about 3/4lb. heavier, instead of some 3lbs. heavier with the NY1 alone). The only real downside to this arrangement is that the NY1 spring returns the trigger so energetically that it may "slap" the trigger finger a bit, causing finger fatigue or even blistering during extended (several hundred round) shooting sessions.

Reduced-Power Striker Spring - This part from Wolff Gunsprings reduces the force that cocks and releases the striker, lightening both take-up pressure and trigger break pressure by approximately one pound. The resulting pull is much smoother and lighter, but does not come without a cost! Lighter spring pressure means the striker is propelled forward with less velocity, and therefore it may lack sufficient force to detonate harder primers (military surplus, CCI, etc). For this reason, this part is intended for use in competition pistols and is not recommended for duty or carry weapons! If your Glock pistol is used for both defensive and competition purposes, you may want to purchase a separate firing pin assembly with the reduced-power spring installed. That way you can just drop in the "competition" assembly prior to a match, and reinstall the "carry" assembly afterward. If you insist on carrying a defensive weapon with a reduced-power spring installed, do so only after extensive testing with various types of ammunition, and use only ammunition with which the pistol has proven reliable!

B52
    I put a New York spring in my wifes Glock 26, it was really simple. I just downloaded a Glock Armorer book and followed the instructions. I am a jet mechanic so I have a little tinkering background...i.e not scared to take things apart. Good luck...the heavier trigger isn't too bad.

The"Carry Trigger" as described above is the 3.5 pound connector and the NY1 trigger spring and ALL my Glocks have this combination and have had for years.

It's GOOD if you like it!

Personally, I have tried different trigger combinations... different connectors and even installed a NY trigger spring... I love the stock setup and will never change these out again.

I know most have said it already, but I have attended a Glock Armorer class and could change these out quick and easily at the range so you could try each combination and see what you like best... unfortunately I'm in Minnesota... another great thing about changing out the connector is that you can get your Glock cleaned really, really good.

The Glock is one of the best made handguns on the market... it's so good that even though they may get dirty, they clean themselves... one example is the firing pin is made to push dirt out and not get clogged or blocked... and there are a lot more of these same features built into this great gun.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    Wow! It is not going to be if, but when.

I would think that any trigger mods done other than with factory approval is not wise. Let's just say you have to use that gun in SD and the DA finds out you modified the trigger. He/she may try to paint you as someone other than you are and make the case for a JH all that more difficult.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links