Sig Pro Minor Annoyance

Sig Pro Minor Annoyance

This is a discussion on Sig Pro Minor Annoyance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; when i pull the slide back on my empty sp2022 it does not lock. it takes a hard or fast jerk for the slide to ...

Thread: Sig Pro Minor Annoyance

Sig Pro Minor Annoyance

when i pull the slide back on my empty sp2022 it does not lock. it takes a hard or fast jerk for the slide to lock back, unless of course i hold up on the slide release lever. since a hard jerk or fast pull allows it to lock back, it functions perfectly when being fired and has never failed to lock back.

from what i can tell, the magazine engages the slide release lever about an inch away from the point at which the lever engages the slide. because of this, the magazine isnt strong enough to push the lever up unless it gets some kind of jolt.
    that's why it's a minor annoyance but i still love the gun.

has anyone else noticed this problem on their 2022? is this common?have a remedy?

mine functions fine,do you have a weak mag spring that doesn't have enough force to push up the slide lock lever
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    From what I'm understanding from your post, nothing is wrong with your gun. Its not designed to operate under your hand power, so having to put a little umph in the slide more it to lock back wouldnt concern me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    From what I'm understanding from your post, nothing is wrong with your gun. Its not designed to operate under your hand power, so having to put a little umph in the slide more it to lock back wouldnt concern me.
    i would agree to that, but all of my other pistols have enough spring tension to pop the lever up no mater how slow you pull back on the slide. just wondering if i'm alone here.

the magazine feeds all rounds just fine, but i wonder if there is a way to increase the spring tension?

Administrator
    You can try getting new springs, but honestly I dont think its worth the effort.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You can try getting new springs, but honestly I dont think its worth the effort.
    you're probably right. thanks

Administrator
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    when i pull the slide back on my empty sp2022 it does not lock. it takes a hard or fast jerk for the slide to lock back, unless of course i hold up on the slide release lever. since a hard jerk or fast pull allows it to lock back, it functions perfectly when being fired and has never failed to lock back.

from what i can tell, the magazine engages the slide release lever about an inch away from the point at which the lever engages the slide. because of this, the magazine isnt strong enough to push the lever up unless it gets some kind of jolt.
    that's why it's a minor annoyance but i still love the gun.

has anyone else noticed this problem on their 2022? is this common?have a remedy?
    Yes, I own two 2022'a and your problem is the mag. My first Sigpro 2022 used to do this. Clean out your magazine well(sig mags ship with a lot of rust preventative oil on them), if that doesn't work order a new spring from sig. The spring isn't strong enough to push up the slide stop firmly.
    Token Black Guy

iBlog

Administrator
    You can check Wolff Gunsprings on line catalog and see if they have a "plus power" spring for your magazine. Very likely they do.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't understand why you would need to lock the slide back by having an empty mag and pulling the slide back. Just use the lever.

As long as everything functions correctly when shooting, I wouldn't worry about it. OMO.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

If it locks back on an empty mag when shooting--you have no problems. If you begin having problems with the gun NOT locking back in the future, clean and check your mags, especially the follower and feedlips. Also, make sure you brush under the slidelock lever in the magwell.

I bought a used P239 and had a similiar problem...and the above was the solution. I haven't had any problems with my P226 (10 years) and P229 (12 years).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    I don't understand why you would need to lock the slide back by having an empty mag and pulling the slide back. Just use the lever.

As long as everything functions correctly when shooting, I wouldn't worry about it. OMO.
    that's why it is an annoyance, not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dialM4murder View Post
    Yes, I own two 2022'a and your problem is the mag. My first Sigpro 2022 used to do this. Clean out your magazine well(sig mags ship with a lot of rust preventative oil on them), if that doesn't work order a new spring from sig. The spring isn't strong enough to push up the slide stop firmly.
    i'll give it a try. i've noticed that the back side of the slide lock rubs the decocking lever. so this is even more resistance for the mag spring to overcome. i'm going to also try taking some metal off of the back of the slide lock.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    i'll give it a try. i've noticed that the back side of the slide lock rubs the decocking lever. so this is even more resistance for the mag spring to overcome. i'm going to also try taking some metal off of the back of the slide lock.

thanks!
    Sure, let me know how it works out. I changed the spring in that particular magazine and the problem went away.
    Token Black Guy

iBlog

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering about that 'annoyance' as well.

Sponsored Links