Glock 36 Impressions...

This is a discussion on Glock 36 Impressions... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am eyeballing my first Glock at the candy store. It is a slim-line Glock 36 in .45 ACP. Does anyone here have one? How ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 36 Impressions...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Glock 36 Impressions...

I am eyeballing my first Glock at the candy store. It is a slim-line Glock 36 in .45 ACP. Does anyone here have one? How does it shoot? Any quirks I should know about? Did it prove itself a keeper or a safe queen? I am itching to get into a .45 for a reasonable price and am debating with myself between getting the Glock 36 or the Ruger P345. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

or this one?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Buy the G36. They carry great, shoot great... I just never liked the grip and dont like when the mag is part of the grip, but thats just me. The G36 is a great gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry the 36 and trust my life with it. Nuff said?
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

personally not a glock fan - never shot one I liked - but I've also never fired that particular Ruger. I have used both a P89 and a P95 and both were are very comfortable and accurate and would eat any ammo I fed it.

your best bet will be to try to borrow or rent each and see which is more comfortable for you.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have heard good things about the Ruger, but when I looked at it, the grip seemed a bit long, and hard to conceal, and it was heavier than the 36.

The Glock 36 is the fourth Glock I own, and it is the gun I carry and trust my life with. It is my favorite gun. Inch for inch, ounce for ounce, you cannot find a .45 cal gun that matches it in concealability, reliability, accuracy, and ease of carry. My understanding is that early on, there were some reliability problems, but, that has been corrected by Glock. My gun has been 100% so far. You will love it, especially if you carry.

Last edited by Freedomofchoice; September 16th, 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: ommited something

Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    personally not a glock fan - never shot one I liked - but I've also never fired that particular Ruger. I have used both a P89 and a P95 and both were are very comfortable and accurate and would eat any ammo I fed it.

your best bet will be to try to borrow or rent each and see which is more comfortable for you.
    I live in Buffalo NY and they don't have shops here that rent like they do out west or down south. You either know someone who has one and get a test firing from them or roll the dice. I will be rolling the dice on this one because I don't know anybody that has one locally. I trust both brands but I do have a CCW permit so I want to get the one that will conceal the best. I currently use a Walther PPS 9MM as my EDC. I like the slimness but I have always like the .45 and want to test the waters. The Glock 36 seems like it has the right combination of slimness and firepower.

VIP Member

G36 Hands Down!

My 36 is my EDC piece and after being broken in has never let me down. Be sure to pick some Pearce +0 grip extentions for the mags. The difference they make is huge and concealability is not compromised.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    When I started looking for a carry gun, the G36 made the short list for me, but, after actually fondling one, I didnt like the way it fit in my hand and didnt like the feel of the extended mag and the way my pinky finger rested there.

I chose the 1911 platform for my EDC. Thinner profile. The G36 shot well though.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I took the plunge and bought a new Glock 36 tonight. It fit my small hand well and even though it is ugly as sin I still sort of appreciate its minimalist approach to things. I always wanted a .45 but never wanted to spend $1200+ for a 1911 in case I didn't "love" it like some people love their .45's. Even if it only sees duty as a nightstand gun I think I made the right choice. $529+tax

VIP Member

Congrats there buddy!!!!!

Don't forget the Pearce grip extentions if you want somewhere for your pinky to rest on. They're dirt cheap too.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Don't forget the Pearce grip extentions if you want somewhere for your pinky to rest on. They're dirt cheap too.
    I will get the +0 you referred to when I pick it up on Friday. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

I am a little late with this post. However, my wife carries a Glock 36 and I carry a Ruger 345.

My opinions?

Glock 36

To me this is the most power in the smallest package I'd want to carry. The 36 was prone to jamming. I replaced the recoil springs and all mags springs. All replacement springs were stronger than the originals. - Haven't had a problem since. Great gun. I am happy my wife is carrying the Glock. - Oh, it often pinches my finger when fired. I was going to get the +0 extension to fix that but it does not bother my wife so I never bothered.

Ruger 345

Great gun but maybe not for newbies. Here's why:

Mag disconnect can occasionally block the firing pin when it shouldn't. This could get you killed. I removed mine. - No problem now.

I also had misfeeds. My opinion is that the factory recoil spring is too light for reliable feeding. (Some people have no trouble though.) Anyway, I installed a MUCH stronger recoil spring. No more feed problems. After polishing the trigger/sear I have a great trigger pull. That is why I prefer the Ruger over the Glock - I don't like the Glock's trigger. I prefer DA/SA.

The Ruger is a bit more accurate for me. (Longer sight radius and a little heavier. A light trigger doesn't hurt either.)

I have occasionally carried the Wife's Glock 36 and I don't feel that I give up anything really. I just prefer DA/SA.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wesley View Post
    I am a little late with this post. However, my wife carries a Glock 36 and I carry a Ruger 345.

My opinions?

Glock 36

To me this is the most power in the smallest package I'd want to carry. The 36 was prone to jamming. I replaced the recoil springs and all mags springs. All replacement springs were stronger than the originals. - Haven't had a problem since. Great gun. I am happy my wife is carrying the Glock. - Oh, it often pinches my finger when fired. I was going to get the +0 extension to fix that but it does not bother my wife so I never bothered.

Ruger 345

Great gun but maybe not for newbies. Here's why:

Mag disconnect can occasionally block the firing pin when it shouldn't. This could get you killed. I removed mine. - No problem now.

I also had misfeeds. My opinion is that the factory recoil spring is too light for reliable feeding. (Some people have no trouble though.) Anyway, I installed a MUCH stronger recoil spring. No more feed problems. After polishing the trigger/sear I have a great trigger pull. That is why I prefer the Ruger over the Glock - I don't like the Glock's trigger. I prefer DA/SA.

The Ruger is a bit more accurate for me. (Longer sight radius and a little heavier. A light trigger doesn't hurt either.)

I have occasionally carried the Wife's Glock 36 and I don't feel that I give up anything really. I just prefer DA/SA.
    Is your wifes G36 a newer model (manufactured 2008?) Are you referring to the Wolff springs? I will try mine before I do any drastic internal changes.

I have a Glock-36...it goes everywhere with me on my Harley. Always goes boom...never a problem...great grip...best of all the Glocks, for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another happy G36 owner here!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links