G30 extended slide release lever

This is a discussion on G30 extended slide release lever within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; has anyone installed one of these on their own. is it difficult for a non-gunsmith to do? i really want to get one. the factory ...

has anyone installed one of these on their own. is it difficult for a non-gunsmith to do? i really want to get one. the factory release is very difficult to pull down with your thumb. does this new lever really help?

thanks all!

it's not hard to install, but I would advise sticking with the factory part.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I use an extended slide stop/release on my G27 EDC.
    Very easy to self-install. With the bare frame only, you'll need to lift up on it while pushing the trigger housing pin from the left side toward the right. You'll only need to push the pin far enough to clear the slide stop's hole which is on the left side of the receiver anyway. Then wiggle it and pull it out. Replacement is just as easy. But the long wire on the spring must go under the breech block pin, and your new slide stop will have a little bit of pressure on it when you center the holes back up and push the pin back through from the right side to the left. With Glocks, you don't have to be a gunsmith, just any normal do-it-your-selfer! Your own Glocksmith if you will.
    TopGlock.com: Glock Extended Slide Release, Fits All 3-Pin Models, Bl
    I'd normally recommend topgunsupply for Glock factory parts, but I've just checked, and they are currently out of stock on these but they are usually the better price on their stuff and service is great. If you have problems finding an extended slide stop for your G30, just PM me and I'll help you out. Like I've offered before........I have some Glock armorer files. About 70mb worth if I remember right.

Don't use the slide lock then if it gives you problems. Utilize your gross motor skills that will help you in a gun fight. To drop the slide, grab the rear of the slide and pull back and release.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    it's not hard to install, but I would advise sticking with the factory part.
    i'm curious as to why you would not want to switch it. reliablity?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I use an extended slide stop/release on my G27 EDC.
    Very easy to self-install. With the bare frame only, you'll need to lift up on it while pushing the trigger housing pin from the left side toward the right. You'll only need to push the pin far enough to clear the slide stop's hole which is on the left side of the receiver anyway. Then wiggle it and pull it out. Replacement is just as easy. But the long wire on the spring must go under the breech block pin, and your new slide stop will have a little bit of pressure on it when you center the holes back up and push the pin back through from the right side to the left. With Glocks, you don't have to be a gunsmith, just any normal do-it-your-selfer! Your own Glocksmith if you will.
    TopGlock.com: Glock Extended Slide Release, Fits All 3-Pin Models, Bl
    I'd normally recommend topgunsupply for Glock factory parts, but I've just checked, and they are currently out of stock on these but they are usually the better price on their stuff and service is great. If you have problems finding an extended slide stop for your G30, just PM me and I'll help you out. Like I've offered before........I have some Glock armorer files. About 70mb worth if I remember right.
    thanks for the good info. i really appreciate it. i feel better about possibly tackling this project.

I wouldn't do it either--not because it's hard, it's really easy. The extended controls can cause you problems in recoil that the standard parts do not.

I've seen people have misfeeds due to their thumb hitting the lever up and slowing the slide down, or locking open on a full mag for the same cause. If you inadvertantly hold it down, then the slide fails to lock open on empty.

Just keep it stock, you'll be happier.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

It's a slide stop.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    I wouldn't do it either--not because it's hard, it's really easy. The extended controls can cause you problems in recoil that the standard parts do not.

I've seen people have misfeeds due to their thumb hitting the lever up and slowing the slide down, or locking open on a full mag for the same cause. If you inadvertantly hold it down, then the slide fails to lock open on empty.

Just keep it stock, you'll be happier.

Dan
    One really needs to know the Glock and it's parts and functions and design. Not to discount your statement in any way, but the Glock's factory (OEM) extended slide stop design should avoid any of that. With this simple visual, you may agree that the designers put a bit of thought behind it if not a certain degree of ergonomic engineering. I've had extended slide stops on my former G21 and currently on my G27 EDC.

By the way.....and to avoid further confusion or mis-information....the extended slide stop is a FACTORY/OEM part! It's also standard issue on the G34/35 competition model pistols! Imagine that!

Sent you a PM spyshot. 56.4MB to be exact.

" By the way.....and to avoid further confusion or mis-information....the extended slide stop is a FACTORY/OEM part! It's also standard issue on the G34/35 competition model pistols! Imagine that! "

Don't forget the G37, G38 and G39 have it as well....

Moondo

AeroTek's part is superior (IMO), though both work. One-handed operation is greatly facilitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    but the Glock's factory (OEM) extended slide stop design should avoid any of that.
    "Should" but they don't.

I don't have a problem with my G35 in USPSA Limited, but I've seen a ton of them who have. I am quite familiar with GLOCKs, and I agree that the design of the part is sound; it's the shooter that can cause the problem.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    "Should" but they don't.

I don't have a problem with my G35 in USPSA Limited, but I've seen a ton of them who have. I am quite familiar with GLOCKs, and I agree that the design of the part is sound; it's the shooter that can cause the problem.
    Agreed. Although I , personally can not see how or why without a super high hold or having the weak hand thumb inside the strong hand thumb, or maybe left handed with ultra-high hold. Even with a 1911, my thumbs or joints are never that high or close to the slide in this area. I never said it was impossible, just hard to imagine for me. Since you've witnessed this, we know it is possible. Most of the folks in competition around here use the standard Glock models and a lot of them with aftermarket barrels. I have yet to see a G34/35 at a match. Thanks for your input on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    i'm curious as to why you would not want to switch it. reliablity?
    HK Dan covered it well...

Personally, the only time I use my slide-stop is during administrative functions (like ROs that require you to show clear, etc.) or when I'm practicing clearing "type 3" malfunctions. When it comes to loading the weapon or dropping the slide after a re-load from slide-lock, we should be racking it, not using the lever. That being the case, I have no use whatsoever for an extended lever.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links