Forum help needed....

This is a discussion on Forum help needed.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so last night I went to the gun store and put 50% deposit on a new Glock 36 .45 because I always wanted to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum help needed....

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Forum help needed....

Ok, so last night I went to the gun store and put 50% deposit on a new Glock 36 .45 because I always wanted to own a .45 without having to spend $1000+. Now as I sit having my morning coffee I am having second thoughts. I wonder If I should have paid more attention to the Kahr Arms slim .45 even though it was $50 more than the Glock. Can I get some advice on this? I haven't added it to my permit yet and I still have the balance to pay off so the switcharoo won't be a problem.

How do Kahr guns stack up against Glocks? I know that the warranty is better but I am more interested in real-world reliability and function. I don't want a double stack magazine because I have small hands. My EDC is a Walther PPS 9MM so I would like to keep the profile as close to that as possible. What are your thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

2. Remove Ads

You will not be disappointed with the Glock 36. Their reliability are second to none and are great defensive handguns.

Between those two, I vote for the G36. A little more shootable IMO.

I'd stick with the Glock...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

The Glock will be more shootable and parts are much easier to come by. I am sure the kahr is a fine weapon but the Glock line is noted for their rock solid reliability right out of the box. You will not be disappointed with the Glock. No it is not your pps...at all. But it is a .45 too. You are going to have to give up a little on size and profile. Go Glock.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Although I carry the PT145

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Ok, so last night I went to the gun store and put 50% deposit on a new Glock 36 .45 because I always wanted to own a .45 without having to spend $1000+. Now as I sit having my morning coffee I am having second thoughts. I wonder If I should have paid more attention to the Kahr Arms slim .45 even though it was $50 more than the Glock. Can I get some advice on this? I haven't added it to my permit yet and I still have the balance to pay off so the switcharoo won't be a problem.

How do Kahr guns stack up against Glocks? I know that the warranty is better but I am more interested in real-world reliability and function. I don't want a double stack magazine because I have small hands. My EDC is a Walther PPS 9MM so I would like to keep the profile as close to that as possible. What are your thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

My wife carry the Glock26...everyone I know that has a Glock swears by it...

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I love my 1911s but my carry gun is a Glock. My Glock has never failed me in 20+ years of carrying. If was my primary and backup weapon as an LEO. No reason to change now.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Good choice

I own two Glocks and one Kahr, and think both are good brands. But if I wanted a single stack 6+1 capacity .45, I'd get the Glock 36 instead of the Kahr P45. My reason is that the Glock has more time in the market and much greater volume of sales, and I would trust its reliability to a greater extent. I have also read favorable postings by G36 owners over a number of years on Internet chat boards like this one.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

As long as your hands fit the Glock, I'd say you did fine.

I've been doing a lot of research into a gun for the wife and the Kahr on the surface seems like the perfect (sized) gun, but after reading about all of the issues, I'll just stick with a Glock - tried and true.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

The Glock still seems awful chunky for a 7-round .45.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    I'm a Kahr fan...but I'd have to say Stick with the Glock!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Both are good guns but I would stay put with the Glock 36 .45.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I also am a Kahr fan, and my P9 is a terrific carry gun. However, when it comes to the .45 I would choose the Glock. I think it would be easier to shoot and maintain. I might change my mind in the future, but as of now the jury is still out on the Kahr .45 for me.

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    Personally, I'd stay with the Glock 36.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Thanks for all the excellent input. I think I am going to stay with the Glock. Especially after reading that Kahr Arms is owned by the son of none other than Rev. Sun Yun Moon (Moonies) of the Unification Church. As a Christian I cannot support his cult. I know about the Glock sales to Iran but at least Glock is up front about being in the arms business and not masquerading as a church. Read this interesting article And here is the Wikipedia entry about Kahr. Interesting stuff, considering that they are currently sweating out a lawsuit that may have profound effects on their future. Thanks for the suggestions and support, this board is great!

Last edited by Siafu; September 17th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links