Crimson Trace or Laser Max

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace or Laser Max within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get a laser sight system for my Sig P-226. I'm torn between either the Crimson Trace or the Laser Max internal guide-rod ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimson Trace or Laser Max

Crimson Trace or Laser Max

I want to get a laser sight system for my Sig P-226. I'm torn between either the Crimson Trace or the Laser Max internal guide-rod system. The Crimson Trace requires no mods to your gun besides replacing the grips and is on from the minute you grip your gun. The Laser Max system requires you to activate the laser by pressing a small button near the take-down lever and also requires you to replace your guide rod and recoil spring. Which one would you guys recommend? Price isn't really an issue because I could budget for either. I just want the best because I might end up betting my life on it working one day.
    Last edited by NickEMT; September 17th, 2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo/spelling
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

2. Remove Ads

Of the two choices, I would go with Crimson Trace. Just make sure you do not become dependant.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    CT for me and my 1911's. Great laser and hold their accuracy real well. Keep in mind, they are factory sighted for about 50' but I have re-sighted mine for about 20' for personal defense. The point of laser vs. point of bullet impact is different the farther away from your target you are. The laser is mounted on the right side of the gun so at some point, the laser and bullet path cross and then your point of impact will most likely be right of the laser point. Thats assuming you actually sight the laser in for a specific distance.
    Last edited by Rcher; September 17th, 2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I like the CT solution. It's there when you grip the weapon - no extra moves.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'm going to be different. (naturally) I like the laser max. Yes it takes alittle installation but not much. I like having the option of using the laser or not. The button on the laser max can be accessed from either side. Don't need it don't use it. I've had both and I'm sold on the laser max.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    I just want the best because I might end up betting my life on it working one day.

Then invest in proper training and forget the gadgets.
    "Just blame Sixto"

CT for me...grip and shoot!
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

CT is absolutely top notch.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats also an excellent statement, there is no substitute for proper training and practice.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I view a laser first and foremost as a training tool. There is a free DVD available from Crimson Trace available at Crimson Trace :: Shots In The Dark DVD. Laser sights, like anything else can fail at a critical time. Using the laser sight to become a better shooter with your other sights will provide you with a necessary Plan B.

I prefer Crimson Trace because a mechanical failure with a guide rod replacement my also take out your pistol. No Plan B

The best price on Crimson Trace is available at Crimson Trace Lasergrips at the Low Price You Deserve.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Of the two choices, I would go with Crimson Trace. Just make sure you do not become dependant.

There it is. No internal modifications makes the choice easy for me.

+1 on the "no dependency".
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    I just came back to say in the contest of dogs, the CT in the better product IMO.

Also, + a bunch on the dependency issue. But I also have one question; If its n your carry gun, doesnt that mean you are dependent?
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 17th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    2 reasons for choosing the CT over the LaserMax on the various weapons (LM Not avaliable for the 3in 1911)

1. It does not directly affect the working parts of the weapon, no internal modifications to go wrong at the wrong time. If the laser doesn't work it doesnt work oh well.

2. More of a Combat Zone Issue, we had a constant supply of the CT laser batteries (2032 watch batteries) for computer CMOS, remotes, etc. So the CT batteries are easier to acquire.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    +1

The lasers aren't worth a damn during the day. The laser emitter is on the right side, if you are a lefty you are screwed. When gripping your weapon your thumbs get in the way of the laser. Most lefty holsters are not set up for the CT. If you have a tupperware gun the CTs wrap around the outside of the grip increasing the girth of it, not a problem if you have big hands but if your hands are small it could be a problem.

Instead get a good set of self illuminating night sights. When you train during the day you use your sights, after a while this becomes reflex/habit. Even in low light situations you will still try to use your sights because thats what you trained for. Its hard to program the reflexes to switch between the two. Using the night sights you shoot the same day or night, nothing changes. I'm speaking from experience, I have a CT for my XD-9SC, its sitting in my gun cabinet collecting dust.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator

Thumbs up

I would choose the Crimson Trace.

I have used both the CT & the LM on SIG handguns and for your SIG the Crimson Trace would be the better Self Defense use option.
    Just my opinion on that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Added Note Concerning LaserMax Parts:
    Honestly there is no danger in adding the LaserMax parts to any handgun because the added parts either meet or usually exceed the factory spec OEM parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links