Okay I lied... Don't do this to me Springfield.. - Page 2

Okay I lied... Don't do this to me Springfield..

This is a discussion on Okay I lied... Don't do this to me Springfield.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Euc, you sure make things tough on a guy. I've pretty much decided my next purchase will be a 5" Milspec but the idea of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay I lied... Don't do this to me Springfield..

Euc, you sure make things tough on a guy. I've pretty much decided my next purchase will be a 5" Milspec but the idea of 14+1 ACP in an economical Glock (so to speak) is really something I'm going to have to think about for the buy after that. Looks like I'll have plenty of time to save my pennies but still! There may be some Tupperware in my future yet.
    Jack

You may have time for both in all honesty. Odds are pretty good they'll show it at SHOT, then it'll come out late next year, and there'll be a huge initial rush as usual making it difficult to find, etc.

Now that I'm sobering up a bit I'm realizing it'll be a while before I ever get my mitts on one, unless Springfield surprises me.

Where does the line start?
    I'm in.

I did just think of something... I'll have to wait for the Bitone finish or else have the slide treated somewhere. My Bitone XD40's slide may not be actual stainless steel, but it doesn't surface rust or scratch up like the blued ones.

Geez, I forgot about the corrosion problem ... STOP TOYING WITH ME!!! LOL
    In all honesty, I've just never cared for duo-tone guns - personnal taste sorta thing. Oh well, I've got time to decide.
    Jack

I like my XDs enough I'm willing to get the slide refinished if it ever becomes a problem.

If I want 14+1 rounds of .45 ACP, I'll get a Para-Ord P14.45.

But that's just my humble opinion. ;)

Thumbs down Thumbs Down on ParaOrdnance

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    If I want 14+1 rounds of .45 ACP, I'll get a Para-Ord P14.45. But that's just my humble opinion. ;)
    I have had some bad experiences with the ParaOrdnance and I don't wanna have to fight to field strip my carry piece. I also wanted a DAO with a good trigger, but firmer than the PO LDA. That equates to the H&K USP with the LEM trigger. As you said: Each to his own, right?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    Where does the line start? I'm in.
    The line starts right behind me, George

I liked my XD-40 really well except that it was the wrong caliber. It certainly won't replace a 1911, but on those rare occasions we get rain or a dust storm, I would certainly not hesitate carrying it. Sort of a knockabout gun....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

At 13+1 its same as glock and got Hk beat by one not to bad i wonder how the grip will be size wize

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I have had some bad experiences with the ParaOrdnance and I don't wanna have to fight to field strip my carry piece. I also wanted a DAO with a good trigger, but firmer than the PO LDA. That equates to the H&K USP with the LEM trigger. As you said: Each to his own, right?
    I've had bad experiences with several different makes. Doesn't turn me off on them overall. The one Par-Ord I owned, always worked for me. If I hadn't needed the money at the time, I'd have never sold it. That was a P13.45. It was a little small for my taste, but it did work.

If I can find a good deal on one, I intend to get a P14.45. I just have to decide what type of finish I want on it.

And I hate DAO and LDA. But again, that's just my humble opinion.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Okay, so I'm interested. I'm curious though about cost of extra mags, holster availability, actual retail prices in different areas .... I know the .45ACP XD probably hasn't hit the market yet but if you current owners of other XD models could chime in with what you've found regarding your pistols I'd appreciate it. How do the XD prices compare to comparable Glock models, mag costs, etc.
    Thanks,
    Jack

Here's been my experience so far.

Spare magazines for a gun of this quality are quite reasonable with the standard full capacity factory magazines available at $19.99 a pop. The aftermarket magazines cost just as much, have lower capacity sometimes, and inferior quality.

These magazines are tight. You have to leave them fully loaded and stagnant for a couple of months to break them in a little. I personally have to use a speedloader to get the last 4 rounds in. However they feed wonderfully and super smooth. My carry mags are broken in and function perfectly. Some of my practice mags I still haven't broken in yet.

Holster support is pretty good. I haven't had any trouble finding holsters for my XD40 Service at all. I think all the custom makers on this board support the XD series as well. In a pinch, you can often make a holster for a similar sized Glock work.

Pricewise, the blued XDs are about $50-$100 less than their Glock counterpart in my neck of the woods give or take a little. I think at the local store the Glock 19 sells for about $514 and the XD9 service is about $445, but don't quote me.

I went through a local FFL and got the XD40 Bitone service with two magazines for $460. The blued finish would have been about $30 less.

Part of this is offset by the fact that if I were going to actually carry the blued finish, I'd have to have the slide treated with some kind of aftermarket coating. I just would. I'm a sweaty person.

I have a second XD40 that I got used and it's blued. I use it as my car gun however where it lives in its little safe. I normally carry it in a Safepacker or a jacket pocket when I carry it, so I have not experienced the corrossion issue with it.

The one I carry, I've seen no rust on. The Bitone finish is not stainless steel, but it doesn't corrode. The blueing on the controls has largely worn off however. I am not worried about that at all, it's just a natural consequence of me shooting it as often as I can and carrying it a lot.

So basically, they're at the same price point as the Glock, maybe a little bit cheaper depending on your needs and preferences. Accessories and the like aren't disgustingly common like they are for Glocks, but I've not had any difficulty finding anything.

I think we only have good things to look forward to, as the pistols seem to be selling well and becoming more and more popular. I think they're always going to be a niche product for people like me who want a Glockesque pistol but not an actual Glock for various reasons.

The .45 ACP version should sell like hotcakes and make the series even more popular.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links