Defensive Carry banner

Okay I lied... Don't do this to me Springfield..

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  maclean3 
#1 ·
Springfield Armory if you do this I will at once be joyful and yet pissed off.

There's an internet rumor that SA is coming out with an XD45 - a real .45 ACP, not GAP.

On the one hand I tottally doubt it. I don't think SA would go through all the trouble of tottally redoing the XD frame just to accomadate the .45 ACP. I realize that any decent engineer could easily accomadate the rest, and they could probably use the .40S&W slide if they enlarged the ejection port, but would they bother to go through all this trouble? Honestly, there's a reason you don't have as many choices in .45 ACP. 9x19 is cheap, and you can fit 40 S&W and .357 SIG on the same frame so your engineering cost is nil.

On the other hand though, I know if they wanted to, they could do it. Their competition offers double stack Wonder 45s. The problem is I think the G21 already has that whole market saturated, and from what I understand the G21 is mostly sold to hardcore competition shooters and LEOs. The LEO market is huge and they're not going to get away from their Glocks at Glock's ridiculously low LE prices. Springfield may have meant the XD as a service pistol, but I know of no LE agency that carries it.

If it shows up at the SHOT show I'll be simultaneously pleased :yup: and ticked off :mad: at the same time.

See less See more
#27 ·
ExSoldier762 said:
I have had some bad experiences with the ParaOrdnance and I don't wanna have to fight to field strip my carry piece. I also wanted a DAO with a good trigger, but firmer than the PO LDA. That equates to the H&K USP with the LEM trigger. As you said: Each to his own, right?
I've had bad experiences with several different makes. Doesn't turn me off on them overall. The one Par-Ord I owned, always worked for me. If I hadn't needed the money at the time, I'd have never sold it. That was a P13.45. It was a little small for my taste, but it did work.

If I can find a good deal on one, I intend to get a P14.45. I just have to decide what type of finish I want on it.

And I hate DAO and LDA. But again, that's just my humble opinion. :image035:

#29 ·
Okay, so I'm interested. I'm curious though about cost of extra mags, holster availability, actual retail prices in different areas .... I know the .45ACP XD probably hasn't hit the market yet but if you current owners of other XD models could chime in with what you've found regarding your pistols I'd appreciate it. How do the XD prices compare to comparable Glock models, mag costs, etc.
Thanks,
Jack

#30 ·
Here's been my experience so far.

Spare magazines for a gun of this quality are quite reasonable with the standard full capacity factory magazines available at $19.99 a pop. The aftermarket magazines cost just as much, have lower capacity sometimes, and inferior quality.

These magazines are tight. You have to leave them fully loaded and stagnant for a couple of months to break them in a little. I personally have to use a speedloader to get the last 4 rounds in. However they feed wonderfully and super smooth. My carry mags are broken in and function perfectly. Some of my practice mags I still haven't broken in yet.

Holster support is pretty good. I haven't had any trouble finding holsters for my XD40 Service at all. I think all the custom makers on this board support the XD series as well. In a pinch, you can often make a holster for a similar sized Glock work.

Pricewise, the blued XDs are about $50-$100 less than their Glock counterpart in my neck of the woods give or take a little. I think at the local store the Glock 19 sells for about $514 and the XD9 service is about $445, but don't quote me.

I went through a local FFL and got the XD40 Bitone service with two magazines for $460. The blued finish would have been about $30 less.

Part of this is offset by the fact that if I were going to actually carry the blued finish, I'd have to have the slide treated with some kind of aftermarket coating. I just would. I'm a sweaty person.

I have a second XD40 that I got used and it's blued. I use it as my car gun however where it lives in its little safe. I normally carry it in a Safepacker or a jacket pocket when I carry it, so I have not experienced the corrossion issue with it.

The one I carry, I've seen no rust on. The Bitone finish is not stainless steel, but it doesn't corrode. The blueing on the controls has largely worn off however. I am not worried about that at all, it's just a natural consequence of me shooting it as often as I can and carrying it a lot.

So basically, they're at the same price point as the Glock, maybe a little bit cheaper depending on your needs and preferences. Accessories and the like aren't disgustingly common like they are for Glocks, but I've not had any difficulty finding anything.

I think we only have good things to look forward to, as the pistols seem to be selling well and becoming more and more popular. I think they're always going to be a niche product for people like me who want a Glockesque pistol but not an actual Glock for various reasons.

The .45 ACP version should sell like hotcakes and make the series even more popular.

#31 ·
Thanks Euc, that's exactly what I needed to know. I still think I'll be getting a Milspec first because that's the platform I'm most familiar with - but the XD .45 ACP would make a perfect harsh environment/woods gun for the situations I get into ... or for times I feel the need for a hi-cap.

I think all the custom makers on this board support the XD series as well. That's the route I'd be taking!

I wonder, if the ACP takes off like I expect it will, would the XD GAP still be in the SA line up? It'd be nice to see the ACP in 3" and 4" configurations too.
Jack

#32 ·
This is coming from an armchair commando, but I don't see the GAP versions going away. The same frame the GAP is built on is the same frame the 9x19 and 40 S&W and .357 SIG version is built on.

It's my understanding that engineering a new frame is the hard part when it comes to making a new gun, and since they already have the frame figured out it should be around for some time to come I'd imagine. Makes sense to me.

I think the size they're showing us so far is the Service model. My XD40 Service is 7" long overall and this new .45 ACP version is 7.25" overall.

I can easily see them branching out into a tactical model, and I'd actually be interested in the SC version of this now that you said it. Since the grip is going to be a little bit different, I wonder if a SC XD45 would feel good in my hand. The current SCs are somewhat lacking for me personally due to ergonomics... I'd take one if I found a good deal on it perhaps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.