Impulse buying; 642 no-lock

This is a discussion on Impulse buying; 642 no-lock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; talk about impulse; I read too much about S&W locks so I ended up trading in my 1 year old 642 on a new no-lock ...

Thread: Impulse buying; 642 no-lock

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

talk about impulse; I read too much about S&W locks so I ended up trading in my 1 year old 642 on a new no-lock model. My old one had taken a hard hit so the top rail had a ding and the backstrap was already showing wear.

I gave $150 plus my old gun and walked out with this new one plus a set of these wood grips. The guy didn't know what brand and only had the one pair sitting around but they're beautiful and fit perfectly. They're well made. I probably paid TOO much but I sure like not having the Lock, a new gun, and the sharp wood grips to boot!

Now for a pre-lock 60 in .357
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Gideon; September 18th, 2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: I noticed I typed $120, I paid $150! see what impulse buying can do???

I would say it is worth the 120, that is a great looking gun. Is that your EDC?

The reintroduction of the No Lock has ruined the value of thousands of Lock versions. You'll be able to pick them up for pennies on the dollar.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Nice pistola...congrats...I really like the wooden grips...looks great!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's not my EDC; that's a Colt New Agent. This serves pocket carry duty when I don't wear a cover. If I had cash to burn, I think it might be a good investment to buy a couple of these no-lock 642's and just set them to the side unfired. I have a hunch my Grandson (don't have one yet) could sell them for a bunch.

I do like the wood grips. The pic doesn't do them justice. Beautiful grain and checkering is very crisp. I'd priced badger or eagle grips and they're 70-80 bucks so I liked these.

Looks nice!

I wasn't able to find one in St. Louis, nor a dealer who had a firm source of supply for them. Mind if I ask where you found it? I did get one from KY so I'm not in the market for one now, but I'm always up for adding a new gunshop to my list.

Administrator
    That was a good impulse; but I don't think I would have paid $120...I just would have disabled the lock.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ron
    I have a 642 with the lock, which I use as my EDC when I need to tuck my shirt. I know that there has been talk of the lock engaging by itself. Does anyone have a cite to support these fears, or is this just one of those urban legends that float around the intertrnet.

I am not referring to the possibility of this happening, but a case or cases where it in fact did happen.

If true, then I, too, would consider trading for a non lock model, but I don't want to take a monetary lose on the trade based on rumor, as opposed to actual fact.

Thanks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Did a lot of checking on the validity of the lock "Locking" thing. I believe I found some truth to it in a very limited number of cases, however, if you consider the number of times it's really happened and compare that to the number of revovlers made and sold with the lock, then you begin to see that statistically it's almost a non issue. Some are passionate about it becasue they see any chance for a failure as unacceptable in a defensive weapons but the truth be told, you have a higher statistical probability for a failure in almost any auto over any 642 with a Lock. Now I did research enough to come to my own opinion that the design for S&W's lock isn't the best out there because it's physically possible for the lock to be moved by recoil. So again, I found more legitimate cases out there of very light, very powerful guns having problems, like scandium revolvers in .44 mag, etc. I only found 2 cases of a 642. Are they real? No way of knowing.

The other poster is right about disabling as a much cheaper alternative. That's why it was an "impulse"

I'm a reasonably well adjusted human being but I can become quite anal about my guns So having a new gun without the lock at all and the nice grips to boot; well it just feels good.

I bought it in a gun shop in Cape Girardeau Missouri. He said it was the last one he had. Don't they all say that? Actually I've bought enough from this guy to actually believe him. I would think dealers could still find them out there although the intial sale does seem to be winding down but just watch, in a little while some folks will start re-selling them but for more!

Looks like a good decision to me. I take revolvers seriously and a passionate about them having no locks.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    talk about impulse; I read too much about S&W locks so I ended up trading in my 1 year old 642 on a new no-lock model. My old one had taken a hard hit so the top rail had a ding and the backstrap was already showing wear.

I gave $150 plus my old gun and walked out with this new one plus a set of these wood grips. The guy didn't know what brand and only had the one pair sitting around but they're beautiful and fit perfectly. They're well made. I probably paid TOO much but I sure like not having the Lock, a new gun, and the sharp wood grips to boot!

Now for a pre-lock 60 in .357
    If you don't mind....where did you buy it and what is the SKU number?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Links