Interesting excerpt from an earlier post...

This is a discussion on Interesting excerpt from an earlier post... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ....Thanks for all the excellent input. I think I am going to stay with the Glock. Especially after reading that Kahr Arms is owned by ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

....Thanks for all the excellent input. I think I am going to stay with the Glock. Especially after reading that Kahr Arms is owned by the son of none other than Rev. Sun Yun Moon (Moonies) of the Unification Church. As a Christian I cannot support his cult. I know about the Glock sales to Iran but at least Glock is up front about being in the arms business and not masquerading as a church. Read this interesting article And here is the Wikipedia entry about Kahr. Interesting stuff, considering that they are currently sweating out a lawsuit that may have profound effects on their future. Kahr Arms is an American small arms manufacturer founded by Kook Jin "Justin" Moon (son of Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon), who currently serves as CEO and President. It is owned by the Saeilo Corporation (pronounced say-low), a subsidiary of the Unification Church International holding company.[1]

How silly.

OK, so what's the big deal?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

As they say, you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your relatives.......

I don't personally see an issue, but to each his own. Heck, I refuse to use Heinz ketchup, so who am I to talk!

Glock makes a fine weapon too. I'm sure it'll serve you well.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

While I personally don't support his church, I thought the following excerpt from an interview by Massad Ayoob in "American Handguner" magazine may be informative. It may very well be true that the company has no true ties to the church.

Ayoob: There is speculation on the Internet that your father or his church own your company. Your response?
    Moon: I currently am the majority shareholder of Kahr and operate my business to provide high quality firearms to the public and to make a profit.
    Ayoob: What's your reaction when commentators on the Net try to bring religion into it?
    Moon: I am a member of the Unification Church, but I do not hold any formal positions in the church. I proudly participate and support my church and my community. This is, after all, a free country. I cherish my First Amendment rights as well as my Second Amendment rights.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    I thought Christians were supposed to accept (not agree, but accept) others ideas and religions? Oh well, this thread will be dumped soon enough.

If Kahr makes a good gun, I really don't care about personal beliefs. I'm not hiring him for spiritial guidance, I want a gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Christians once bought meat that had been sacrificed to false gods. After the pagan temple rituals the left over meat was sold at a discount and thrifty Christians bought it up. Some Christians thought this was wrong, somehow a slight against Christ. Paul and some of the Apostles living at that time were asked their opinion about the matter.

Their answer was that as Christians we have liberty to buy/eat that meat, however, if what we do with our liberty will cause another Christian to stumble in their faith, then we should choose (on our own) to forego that which causes a brother to stumble. This is a principle taught in the Bible. The day to day application of this principle is an individual matter that requires discernment and wisdom.

For example, when I pastored a church, I chose NOT to wear a beard. Jesus wore a beard and I have a right to wear a beard but some people have a certain image of a "pastor" in their mind and wearing a beard could distract them. Now some would mock those folks and think they're foolish but a wiser, more sensitive attitude would be to think of how little a thing it is for me to give up my beard so a brother (or lost person) can sit undistracted an hear the word of God preached.

Okay, what does this have to do with Guns? First I haven't seen any credible evidence that funds from Kahr got to or get into the Unification church directly. Alot of internet speculation and rumor is out there but that's about it.

Secondly, even if it does, it doesn't necessarily make it wrong for a Christian. Now if it bothers you, you have liberty to not buy there and it would be wrong of me to judge you for it.

I have strong convictions about alcohol because of what it does to families but if I didn't shop any place that sold alcohol, where would I shop?

So I think you can buy Kahr's (great guns by the way) and not be disapointing Christ in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I thought Christians were supposed to accept (not agree, but accept) others ideas and religions? Oh well, this thread will be dumped soon enough.

If Kahr makes a good gun, I really don't care about personal beliefs. I'm not hiring him for spiritial guidance, I want a gun.
    Look in the dictionary and you'll find a great difference between accept and support.

That's what's nice about our economy, we get to "vote" our values with our dollars by purchasing where we wish.

I don't buy locally from anti-gun businesses nor from large corporations with anti positions...I don't let the NRA do my thinking for me, but they've done more research than I toward identifying such companies as Levi Strauss, Sara Lee, etc. See http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=15
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

but the khars are so compact compared to glocks!

As a Christian pastor, I think that the OP's position should be respected and allowed. He has made a decision that he believes is the best way to honor the teachings of Christ and Christianity. To go against that decision would be to violate his own conscience.

Certainly there may be others--even other Christians--who come to a different conclusion, and if they have done so with similar thought beforehand then their decision is also valid, but not to be forced upon another.

This is how the Christian church teaches us to deal with matters of conscience to which our Scriptures have not explicitly spoken: We make a decision that we believe to be most God-honoring but do not force that decision upon others as the ONLY correct way.

VIP Member
    All I can say as a Christian is that if I boycotted every business that didn't line up with the bible, were unethical or associated with a cult I wouldn't be able to buy anything! It's certainly a personal decision and I do understand your position.

By the way, don't look too hard at the Bible Publisher you got your bible from... you might not want to do business with them either!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The beauty of the USA is that you can make a choice and do what you think is right as long as it does not interfear with me making a choice.
    It your money - spend it where you want to!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Silly...

I wouldnt let some article (most likely written by a democrat) about Kahr's owner being tied to the "Moonies Cult" change my mind on a handgun purchase.

When considering a gun, I try to take into account some of the following things in no certain order.

1. Reliabiltly
    2. Price
    3. Use of particluar gun (Range gun, Concealment gun, etc.)

Who cares what the owner of Kahr does with his free time?!? If the guy claimed to be Jesus Christ himself, I would still own my Kahr PM9. Its a great little concealment gun.

YMMV, just my outlook on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    As a Christian I cannot support his cult...
    As a agnostic, I cannot support the Christian cult.
    But I will buy a gun from a Christian.

- OS

I had a friend who felt the same way as the OP. I emphasize "felt the same way" and not "feels the same way". Once he fired my Kahr and tried ccwing it for a day, well, his anti-Moon feelings went away rather quickly. he is the now the proud owner of a pm9. To each his own I guess. Personally, I won't join Mr. Moon's church, but I know a good quality product when I see it, and I will reward his outstanding commitment to producing a fine firearm, with my hard earned money, regardless of his personal beliefs.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links