Post-apocalyptic 9mm

Post-apocalyptic 9mm

This is a discussion on Post-apocalyptic 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok , so the SHTF, an all out nuclear war, the world as you know it is pretty much gone...its lord of the flies time. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post-apocalyptic 9mm

Post-apocalyptic 9mm

ok , so the SHTF, an all out nuclear war, the world as you know it is pretty much gone...its lord of the flies time. i guess we can assume you'd want a 9mm since its the most common handgun round in the world. since there wont be any ready access to spare parts or cleaning supplies, what is the absolute most durable, rugged, and reliable weapon you would want on your hip?

Administrator
    A Glock 19 or 17 or a Sig 228/229/226.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Simplicity, ease of maintenance and wide dispersion: Glock.
    Sig would be a close second, but is more intricate.

( : Deviant minds think alike.

VIP Member
    Ditto SIXTO.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

As much as I love my XD and don't care for Glocks, per your criteria I've gotta go with Glock.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    I also think that in an all out nuke war, my little 9mm isnt going to make much of a difference, no matter how good it is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A good 357 mag (because it also shoots 38 special) revolver (S&W). If you pair this up with a Henry lever action rifle in the same caliber IMHO it would be a good combination.

That gives you two options for ammo and a long gun option when you need it.

I also think that in an all out nuke war, my little 9mm isnt going to make much of a difference, no matter how good it is.
    i didnt mean youd be fighting in a war with it. i meant after the war, when the gunstores ans walmarts are gone. just wanna see what everyone considers the "toughest" 9mm

Grab a big stick!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.

Administrator
    Assuming money is absolutely no object?
    Hold onto your wallet though 'cause it's probably about 9 thousand dollars these days.

The handbuilt KORTH 9mm

Info applicable to both the Korth revolvers as well as semi-autos.
    All Korth arms feature specially selected high-alloy steels.
    For example, all important revolver components such as the frame, crane and even the sideplate are completely milled from drop forgings. After machining operations, all components are subjected to a proprietary process to achieve a surface hardness of up to 60 HRc (Rockwell c scale).
    The result is a handgun with an incredibly long life expectancy with a continually high standard of accuracy.
    Approximately 600 individual operations are required to manufacture one revolver.
    Of these operations, only about 30% are actual machine work.
    The rest, all of 70%, are true "man-hours": Hand work, fitting, inspection and making sure that every aspect of the gun is flawless.
    Every moving part is assembled, fitted and adjusted by skilled craftsmen, some who have devoted nearly all their working lives to producing the best handguns in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A Glock 19 or 17 or a Sig 228/229/226.
    YEP
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

All things considered.....Glock 17. Durability, reliability, polymer frame, a highly rust resistant finish....and high capacity. Def the 17. But the Sigs are a close second.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

not the best conceiled handgun, but its hard to beat the dependability of the ruger, so I already own the spectrum I'd want for a scenario like that.
    ruger 9mm, remington 870, 7.62x39 AK variant (saiga)
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyGz View Post
    ok , so the SHTF, an all out nuclear war, the world as you know it is pretty much gone...its lord of the flies time. i guess we can assume you'd want a 9mm since its the most common handgun round in the world. since there wont be any ready access to spare parts or cleaning supplies, what is the absolute most durable, rugged, and reliable weapon you would want on your hip?
    After an all out nuclear war, would we still be around to bother with what gun we would want to carry? Probably not.

Stirring the pot a bit, if you have a Glock, isn't there a good chance that the plastic would have melted during the nuclear attack and left you with a barrel and a puddle or goo?

If I am able to keep up with my gun during this type of scenario, I should be able to keep up with my cleaning gear, ammo, and reloading supplies as well.

So what your really asking is what is the most reliable 9mm pistol? I guess the Glock would be up there, but I am sure that some others could be right up their too. I guess it just depends on what you like, and has proven itself if you ask me.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Stirring the pot a bit, if you have a Glock, isn't there a good chance that the plastic would have melted during the nuclear attack and left you with a barrel and a puddle or goo?
    I'll go with farronwolf on this one. In any case, all it would do to a Sig would be to give it a deeper black finish.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links