.40 Sub-Compact Carry

This is a discussion on .40 Sub-Compact Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, new to the forum. Been reading the threads here for the last few hours and wanted to post a question and get your advice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .40 Sub-Compact Carry

.40 Sub-Compact Carry

Hi, new to the forum.
    Been reading the threads here for the last few hours and wanted to post a question and get your advice & opinions. (I ask, and admit I'm no expert)

Currently own and shoot a Smith & Wesson M&P.40. Very pleased with this and have never had a single problem. This may lead me to be biased toward a S&W future purchase. Also have a S&W 19-5 .357 but I like to leave it in the house for home defense reasons.

I'm at a point where I am going to start carrying all the time and I feel the frame on my current .40 is too big, FYI, more than likely I will carry on my ankle.

I like the M&P Sub Compact .40 and while at the range last week I rented the 9mm version, what I didn't like was that my hand didn't fit the short grip well.
    I realize that I can use a full size magazine to help with this but it's still not the most comfortable solution.

I've looked at Springfield's XD-Sub Compact .40 and their option is to add an extension ring to a magazine for a full grip. Looks to be more comfortable for practice and extra capacity as well. I'd probably practice with 150 rounds on large mags and finish 50 with the short once a month.

I'm wondering if the Springfield "X-tension" would fit the S&W magazines, or even if the Springfield and S&W mags are interchangeable.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/st...roducts_id=534

I've listed below what I'm considering and would be interested in feed back from those that are carrying any of these. Really only considering a .40

Smith & Wesson M&P Sub Compact.40
    Springfield Armory XD-Sub Compact .40
    Sig Sauer P239 DAK
    Glock 23 or 27
    Walther P99C AS or PPS .40
    Heckler & Koch HK P2000SK .40
    Taurus Millennium Pro140BP
    Kahr .40

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a G27 most of the time. I've modified mine a bit from stock, but not in trigger pull weight, or any other silly stuff. Very manageable, and concealable. It's one of my best friends in the whole wide world. Well.....your thread reads:
    .40 Sub-Compact Carry
    And hence I saw an opening for my opinion. If you want to know more of the truth, I've never even contemplated carrying anything other than a Glock sub-compact. I've never had a good reason to look elsewhere.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

I just elected to purchase a Glock 23 over a sub compact for the same reason. I have large hands and am not a small guy. I am not concerned about being able to conceal the larger dimensions. I previously carried a 5" 1911, I will miss the narrow frame, but can always go back to it when needed.

You already have a full size MP now get the compact and all the mags will work in the compact. Win-win and it is a great carry gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

S&W 40c & 9c both have extension mag option.
    My SW40c came with both kinds of mags/clips.
    I carry with the non extended clip most of the time.

I'm at a point where I am going to start carrying all the time and I feel the frame on my current .40 is too big, FYI, more than likely I will carry on my ankle.
    Unless you are tying your shoe laces when you need to draw – I would not ankle carry for a primary – reaching down and showing some leg to the BG says “shot me in the head”

I use a Smart Carry holster – many threads on them.

I have shot a few different types, and styles. I went back to the Glock for the simplicity and reliability. I currently carry a G27. My girlfriend also carries her own G27 also with a Fobus ankle holster. She wasn't keen on the size, but after everything else under the moon that she shot; she came back to the Glock. Best of luck on your choice.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

p2000sk ....jmo and IWB or smart carry!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have the Springfield XD40 service model (4") which I am VERY happy with. In over 2000 rounds I have not had one failure to feed, failure to fire, nada. It goes BANG every time. It's a very accurate gun and to me, the grip angle is much more natural than that of Glocks - more 1911 in feel, although wider of course. (Note to Glock owners - this is not a bash - just MY opinion). The XD's are an outstanding line of guns.

That said, I'm finding the service just a little too large for concealed carry, primarily the grip length, and maybe a little less width would be good too, but I *think* it's narrower than the corresponding Glock but can't state that as fact. Maybe someone else here knows.

For concealed carry, I particularly like the in-built safety features: trigger safety, grip safety, round chambered indicator, striker status indicator. You can get it with or without a manual safety. I prefer without, simple because its already covered with the other safety features I've listed and I see no need for an extra step because of that.

Since I am already 'into' the line, I'm seriously considering the 3" XD-Sub Compact, again in .40. Basically the same gun, shorter grip, shorter barrel - in other words, a great gun. For me, it makes sense to stay with the same product line - one routine to follow.

For you and for the same reason, if you are happy with your M&P full size, might want to think about the M&P sub-compact.

The magazines are NOT interchangeable with the S&W. if you decide to go with the XD, a Pierce Grip Extension might be your best friend when carrying with the smaller mag. The full size XD mag has a built-in grip extension making the gun into almost a 3" Service size. I think the grip+extender is about 5/16 shorter than a full size.

As for ankle carry- I think you should test this idea out before buying. I wouldn't want to carry a gun like an XD or Glock sub on my leg - just too bulky and heavy when loaded.

Hope that helps.

Phil

I've carried a Glock 27 quite a lot in the last several years. Also a Colt Defender. This year I purchased a Walther PPS and it is by far the best and most practical carry pistol I have ever had. It is easier to conceal due to how thin it is of course but the short grip was a major improvement in day to day comfort, especially riding in a vehicle / driving. This gun shoots just like my Glocks if not better. Recoil is amazingly negligible. Very accurate and fast on target. Points naturally.
    I carry one five round mag in the gun (for 5+1) and two six round mags on my belt. I normally have two more six rounders in a modified Unkle Mikes dual nylon mag pouch in my front pocket.
    You can buy seven rounders if you like for the .40. Another nice benefit of this gun is it fits in my .40 cal Glock holsters perfectly; my leather OWB Mernickle and my Comptac MTAC. My 1911 mag pouches fit the mags perfectly. I haven't had to spend a dime on holsters and am using my favorite stuff.
    This gun has had ZERO jams in approximately 700 rounds as well.
    I cannot say enough good things about this pistol.

The Glock 27 is an awesome pistol as well but it is closer in width to what you are currently carrying so the PPS would fill a specific nitch in your carry line-up.

VIP Member
    Might also want to look at the CZ RAMI. Available in Alloy or Poly. Accurate, reliable and won't break the budget.

CZ 2075 RAMI
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a H&K P2000sk and it has almost replaced my Sigs in amount of time carried. It holds 9 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. It is very accurate and the recoil, (.40), is easily managed with the double recoil spring. You will in time get used to having the small finger under the mag. I carry it in a T&T Gunleather IWB which is similar to the Milt Sparks VMII.

The H&K is probably $200 more than the other sub compacts and if I had to pick a second choice sub compact it would be the SA XD. For me and not a dig at the other models, I have never liked the grip of a Glock but they are an excellent weapon. The only issue I have with the M&P is the magazine disconnect, again an issue for me. I actually dislike the H&K mag release which is why I would never consider their larger model for any competition.

Lastly with any sub compact your self defense ammo is critical! I use Cor-Bon plastic tipped hollow points. IMO traditional hollow points do not have the velocity to fully expand from a sub compact's short barrel.

I use Cor-Bon plastic tipped hollow points
    Are you talking the 'PowerBall', or the Glaser ammo?

What you will eventually find is the grip is the part of the gun that is the challenge to conceal. If you make the grip long enough to fit your hand comfortably, you increase the amount of effort required to be covert. The barrel length doesn't matter.

The way I view a hideout gun is, the grip will not necessarily be "comfortable" to be the best choice for a concealed weapon. If you're going to make the grip longer on your M&P40c, I would just stick with your full sized M&P.

I had reservations about the short grip on the G27 too, until I prcaticed with it. Get used to shooting without your pinky on the grip- it's not too bad. My wife carries an M&P9C. I shoot it the same way (it actually shoots better then my G27- shhhhh! don't tell anyone)

Like Sarge said, the grip is the hard part to conceal.

Now I carry my G27 most of the time.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

It is a very nice gun. A little chunky but easy to carry and 1000% reliable. Great price too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links