2 new guns, need holster and ammo opinions.

This is a discussion on 2 new guns, need holster and ammo opinions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a XD9 Subcompact and a S&W 642 w CT laser grips today. I'm looking for some good holster/belt options. I don't want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 new guns, need holster and ammo opinions.

2 new guns, need holster and ammo opinions.

I picked up a XD9 Subcompact and a S&W 642 w CT laser grips today.
    I'm looking for some good holster/belt options. I don't want a long wait and buying two guns at once sure hits the wallet kind of hard so I need something reasonable priced. I'm thinking IWB for the XD9 and pocket carry for the 642. Please recommend whatever you believe would be a good holster or belt to consider for these requirements. I may also consider a high riding OWB for the 642 for winter carry.

Also I was thinking of running Federal Hydra Shock for both of these guns. Going to the range with a couple hundred rounds of WWB to run the guns a bit. Will also try the HS as soon as I pick some up.

Any info would be good.

2. Remove Ads

If you like all leather, like me, take a look at David Bullard's stuff.
    Reasonably priced, and most popular models in stock. I have two these Dual Carries:

For the SA SC:
    D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg. "Dual Carry" for Spingfield XD 3" Sub-Compact

For J Frames (I don't think the laser grips matter):
    D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg. "Dual Carry" for S&W J frame

Go back to his home page for fuller description of those, that's the store.

Also, of course High Noon has lots of nice leather options, many of them in immediate stock, too.

And of course, the Crossbreed will get lots of recommends here: I'm sure it's a fine item, but I'm sooo partial to all leather.

- OS

HBE leatherworks, call Eric, his work is awesome!! turn around is quick and he has a ton of options! I can't wait for my kimber to come back to post the holster he made for it!
    ETA: the beltman on the belt!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

For pocket carry....consider a Mika pocket holster.

I like Bluegrass holsters as well. Have one for my 638, and a couple more on the way for a Springfield and a Glock. Does nice work, and the price is good too.... His turn around time, at present, is decent. Definately not as long as some holster makers....

Administrator

I would strongly suggest that you call Milt Sparks and order a PMK OWB for your 642.
    Yes, you will wait a while before you get one.
    Buy something else and use it for now but, order a PMK while Sparks is taking orders again now.

The PMK is SO good that it is like a rogue angel flew it down from heaven to "gift" it to us Earthlings.

It is THAT good.

Yes, Tony designed it for his Wife but, it is not a "girls" holster.

This rig is so amazingly well designed - it's unreal.

You'll thank me later.

I am going to do a review on the holster on DefensiveCarry next week.

Get the jump on ordering one now. Get your name in on one while you can.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I feel that the Kramer horsehide pocket holster is the best out there I say this after trying several to.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would strongly suggest that you call Milt Sparks and order a PMK OWB for your 642.
    Yes, you will wait a while before you get one.
    Buy something else and use it for now but, order a PMK while Sparks is taking orders again now.

The PMK is SO good that it is like a rogue angel flew it down from heaven to "gift" it to us Earthlings.

It is THAT good.

Yes, Tony designed it for his Wife but, it is not a "girls" holster.

This rig is so amazingly well designed - it's unreal.

You'll thank me later.

I am going to do a review on the holster on DefensiveCarry next week.

Get the jump on ordering one now. Get your name in on one while you can.

Very nice QKShooter, if they had somthing like the PMK around back when I had my first love (Smith & Wesson Model 66) I never would of traded the Model 66. I do miss her
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Ever since I received my T&T Gunleather holster for my H&K Sub Compact I have been reccommending T&T. Quality is excellent. 8 weeks, and $75. It is slightly thinner than my VMII but I actually like it better.

If I ever find a holster I like for my J frame I will let you know. I pocket carry it since there has been no IWB that I like.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    On another forum I read that the Fist #12 is an excellent holster for the J-frame. I don't know the wait time, but the guy who likes that holster has many, many, many high quality holsters, and that was his favorite for the J-frame.

Regards,
    Jerry

Another Fist holster believer here...

Quality work, reasonable prices, 3-5 week wait...ya' can't beat that!

I have over 2 dozen+ holsters from Fist...so I'm a sold customer for them.

Now there are some great holsters makers on this forum, also, but some take so long...their work fantastic, for sure. Fist doesn't add ostrich, elephant, and eel skin, and I would like to have some of that fancy stuff, but quality leather in about a month works me.

Stay armed...look around...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Ever since I received my T&T Gunleather holster for my H&K Sub Compact I have been reccommending T&T. Quality is excellent. 8 weeks, and $75. It is slightly thinner than my VMII but I actually like it better.

If I ever find a holster I like for my J frame I will let you know. I pocket carry it since there has been no IWB that I like.
    I agree with you on Tim's holsters. T&T puts out a great product. I do not like pocket carry personally. You need to call Eric at HBE Leatherworks and check out his Pro TL for your "J" frame. Received mine about a month ago for my 36 and it is nothing but OUTSTANDING! Extremely comfortable and very secure. Carrying it more than my BHP in it's HBE COM III as it's easy on/easy off so I am always armed and ready.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

For pocket carry of the S&W 642, the Mika Pocket holster works out great, and for under twenty bucks!

To order: Mika's Pocket Holsters - Custom Made Pocket Holsters, Waistband Holsters, Vest Holsters, Tactical Pocket Mirrors And Much More.

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    You need to call Eric at HBE Leatherworks and check out his Pro TL for your "J" frame. Received mine about a month ago for my 36 and it is nothing but OUTSTANDING!
    Would you mind posting a picture of it with the 36 in it? Sounds like that might be the one I'm looking for... I tried a cheap Uncle Mike's and ended up taking it back because I didn't like the pants/belt clip. For now I carry it in a Bianchi OWB holster in a cargo pants pocket. Not ideal, but it works for now.

Thanks!

There may be something to buying cheap stuff first so that when you later buy a really good holster like a Milt Sparks you have something to compare it to. If you have never carried IWB, for example, and you read about all of the satisfied Milt Sparks customers who say that they forget that they're even carrying, you're in for a surprise the first time you wear an IWB.

So, buy trash first! --just kidding. ;)

+1 on the TT gunleather! I have one of his IWB rigs for my Glock 27 and it is mighty comfy! I also have his snap on mag/light combo holster and it is great, too! Tim is awesome to deal with.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links