Possible carry options

This is a discussion on Possible carry options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read through quite a few threads here about people that were large enough to carry larger subcompacts. However, I'm a pretty small frame - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible carry options

Possible carry options

I read through quite a few threads here about people that were large enough to carry larger subcompacts.

However, I'm a pretty small frame - 135. I'm looking into a pistol that can meet a couple off needs:

1) Light - pretty important I carry enough weight on my belt
    2) Able to be a backup to my Sig P226 while I'm working (Law Enforcement) and that I can carry off duty
    3) Reliability
    4) Also, not a huge fan of safety's (at least for a backup) If it comes a time when I need to pull it out - It's on heh.

I was looking into a S&W 642 airweight - Just wondering if a .38 will do the job.
    A Glock 27 might be to large for my size.

Thanks for any input. If there is anything else I need to let you know, just let me know.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I would look at a Sig 239

But a snub nose is always a good choice, then there are Kahr's
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I don't think your body size matters all that much...See what Limatunes carries...it's more of the quality of your belt and holster, and how you learn about that perfect spot...the rest works out just fine.

OMO others may vary.

Stay armed...get a quality holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Here is a good comparison of the 38 to the 9mm.

9mm vs

If you go to the end, he says the 9mm generally has more punch, but he carries a S&W 642 anyway. So the answer to your question is yes, it will do the job. And if you believe in heavier bullets, the 38 gives you some 158 grain options. I have a 642 and like it - but like the man said - you need to practice.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Consider a Kahr P9?
    Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Consider a Kahr P9?
    Best,
    Jerry
    Thought about it, possibly the PM9. Is there a huge difference between the PMP and the Glock 27?

Any word on the Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact 40 SW. Looks like a good setup.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    Here is a good comparison of the 38 to the 9mm.

9mm vs

If you go to the end, he says the 9mm generally has more punch, but he carries a S&W 642 anyway. So the answer to your question is yes, it will do the job. And if you believe in heavier bullets, the 38 gives you some 158 grain options. I have a 642 and like it - but like the man said - you need to practice.
    Tons of great info in that one, thanks.

Thinking your revolver choice would be less expensive. Hard for me to believe that you'd be able conceal the wheelgun better than the G27 though. Make a good choice on your future pistol, and then work around that, find a good holster, and that sweet spot as well as changes in clothing options and the like. Where there's a will, usually there's a way. You are the engineer.

there has never been a better back up gun than a Jframe
    the 642 is my favorite hands down.

Mike
    Attached Images

Everyone should have a snubby. Mine is a 638. Use +p HP's, should do the job.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar

Wink Dress For Success!!!!.

Carry whatever you want BUT Concealed means Concealed. I dress according to what I`m carrying. I carry a S&W 9ve in a shoulder rig in cooler months and a S&W 642 in the pocket during the summer heat. Both work perfectly. Never been made.

The inevitable

At some point in time, you'll probably be carrying a j-frame, as a backup or primary (when off duty), so why not go ahead and make the move. Easy to carry in multiple ways... IWB, OWB, ankle, pocket, etc.

158 grain LSWHP +P will do the trick.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm small framed and it DOES matter what size your weapon is! A good belt and holster are critical but size is size, shape is shape. Not trying to offend anyone but I hear it all the time that you an easily conceal a big gun. Maybe some guys can but I'm 5'7" and weigh in at 150 - 160 depending on the season and smaller, flatter weapons work on the smaller frame. Having said that...

A J frame is a great back up and not too bad to conceal. .38 & .38+P is a good round. I do think the triggers make them hard to shoot and despite the range, I think they benefit tremendously from a trigger job and I believe you can miss handily at 7 yards when the adrenaline is flowing and you have a 15lb trigger pull. For a professional a trigger job it a good deal.

Another consideration would be the Kahr's. I have the P9 and the MK9. The MK9 is a great shooter, soaks up 9mm recoil making double taps/followup shots sweet. The sights are good, DAO and no mag disconnect and with a good holster and belt (the gun is a bit heavy) it's comfortable for all day.

If you have to go pocket or ankle then an S&W 642 in pocket or on the ankle is hard to beat.

The Glocks are one of the ultimate fighting handguns and have good capacity but they are VERY thick compared to any single stack 1911, any Kahr, or even the J frame.

if I was going to carry a J frame on the belt, I'd seriously consider an all stainless model with 3" barrel.

What you say you are looking for either the sig p239 in whatever trigger configuration your 226 has or a pm9...both are single stack 9mm and point and shoot... also the p9 is a consideration. The g26 would carry more ammo but if light thin and concealable is what you want p239 or pm9 is what i would recommend.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

consider this

there is not much the shooter (of a revolver) can do to fail the weapon. they are usually as reliable as the ammunition in the cylinder.
    I carry a full size H&k USP 45, but there is always a Smith 5 shot in my pocket(442) the concealed hammer version, with this hammer configuration, it can be fired in side the pocket, with nothing to interrupt hammer travel.not to mention less "lint" inside lock work.
    If the back up has to be used it needs to function 100% of the time, every time, under all conditions(limp-wristing). there are plenty of high quality semi autos out there(trust me i have a few) that will function 99.999999....% of the time, but even the best are only as good as the ammunition feeding device (magazine) and the operator of the pistol.
    Thankfully i have never had to fire my weapon for defense, so i can only imagine..if I'm down to my "BUG" and i pull the trigger,..... CCCC LLL IIIII CCCC KKKKKK!!????!!????.............................. its nice to know that when i pull it again, i get a fresh cartridge.

i have the privilege of working at an indoor pistol range, i see alot of guns and alot of shooters, and what works and what doesn't. most will blame a malfunction of a semi-auto, on the magazine.in my experience the operator is usually the culprit.
    get what you like, make sure it works with your carry/duty ammo. if its a semi auto, make sure you can rack the slide completely to the rear, with ONE HAND!!!use your belt, holster, edge of pocket...shoe? what ever it is practice alot. this is your back up life preserver it
    HAS TO WORK!
    p.s. the corbon dpx 38spl. was designed specifically for 2" revolvers,
    and with a 1050 f.p.s. muzzle velocity, pretty much guarantees excellent expansion(at least in our tests).the sights on most 5 shots are sighted for much heavier projectiles like 158gr. this means with that the 110gr. will hit the target in a different(vertical)spot than a 158gr., with the same sight picture. PRACTICE with what you will be "betting" a life on.
    remember the smaller the handgun is, the more dedication it will take to be proficient.
    no such thing as "knock down power"......
    only "knock down accuracy"!!
    lawyers are the only ones counting the misses ACCURACY FIRST!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links