CC recomendations for the new guy? - Page 2

CC recomendations for the new guy?

This is a discussion on CC recomendations for the new guy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any thoughts on this holster? Seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for. Only thing I'm iffy on is the velcro tabs, and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CC recomendations for the new guy?

Any thoughts on this holster? Seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for. Only thing I'm iffy on is the velcro tabs, and how secure they would be.

FIST, INC.

For as high of quality as this holster appears to be the $109 price tag seems very reasonable.

Try a UBG or HBE their stuff is also very highly regarded and seem to have a short turnaround. I do recommend the FIST also but I would look at the ones with a clip or loops not sure about that velcro stuff either. You definitely can hide that 1911 and carry the wieght almost unnoticed with a good belt and holster. i carry a Glock 23 which is much bulkier than that 1911..and I use a Don Hume IWB at less than 50 bucks to do it w a good stiff leather belt. BTW I'm 6'3" 260.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I carry an XD .45 5" tactical in a Bushwacker band shoulder rig big heavy gun and I never even feel it! I sometimes would like to find a smaller gun, just haven't found anything I like as well!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Welp I'm 5' 7"'s and a whopping 170 lbs. Have carried a SA Mil-Spec, SA Champion and now a Browning HP for the last 5 years IWB. Never have been made once and have quite a few LEO friends. Get ya a good holster and belt as previously mentioned. I'm really partial to HBE Leatherworks COM III holster and matching belt.
    Worn these 3 weapons constantly and not one complaint on the weight. I've learned alot from listening to the advice of some of the experts on this forum and it has paid off. Happy hunting.

Roger
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I have found my SA LW SS Compact light enough to carry, and the bulk is not great. If I wanted to carry a .45 all the time that would be my gun.
    Weight is a factor with me, but the compact LW is not too heavy.

I am not familiar with other than the 1911 in .45. I would look at the Glock, and also the new KAHR with which I have no experience.

I must admit that most of the time I carry either a Smith 642 or a Kahr P9. Did I say that weight did not bother me??

Regards,
    Jerry

Well, I think I found my holster!

After checking out the recomendations, and doing a TON more searching of the forums, I decided to settle on the Crossbreed Supertuck. Seemed to fit the bill, is highly recomended, and has a very reasonable price. I figured for a first holster, I would'nt skimp, but would'nt spend a bunch of money for a custom holster on a method of carry I'm not yet sure I will like. Also, them being readily available really helped, I was astonished to see the wait times for some of the other holster makers. Also, I just didn't think it would be right to order a holster made by brommeland from CCA, when there are quite a few people on this boad that have been waiting for the one they've ordered for OVER A YEAR!

Also, a bit of a side note... I didn't order the Crossbreed for my 1911... Instead, I ordered it for my new Taurus 24/7 pro duo-tone, standard size in .45acp!

Decided I had to have it after making several trips to a local gun store. The thing just feels awesome in my hand, the fit and finish is fabulous, and is about 1/2lb lighter than my 1911. Also, the SA trigger with a manual safety was exactly what I was looking for, with the strike-two capability being a huge plus.

Also, one thing I found interesting is that the standard size 24/7 looks quite a bit bigger than my Ultra Compact 1911, but a side by side comparison showed them to be exactly the same length, and the 24/7 being slighty slimmer. I'm now waiting patiently for my "5 day waiting period" to bring that sucker home...

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts and suggestions. Your input really made me ask myself the right questions, and make a knowlegeable decision for myself.

I carry a Kahr P9 and an HBE Pro 2 holster. Both are very light and comfortable. I have never, never had a single FTF with my P9 and I have at least a thousand rounds through it.

Yeah those Kahrs are definitely nice. I was able to check out a few, as well as quite a few other pistols at the Cabela's in Olympia. Out of all the pistol's (Kahr, Glock, XD, M&P, HK) I just kept coming back to the Taurus.

Also, I guess I should ask, but aren't holsters like the FIST, HBE, Brommeland, etc, rather bulky? Just seems that with the quality of leather being used that it would add a significant amount of size to need to be concealed.

It's my friday, cheers!

Good luck with you choice. I carry a PT111 3rd generation, same SA and safety and other workings as a 24/7, with a Crossbreed Super Tuck and like it. You should be good to go. Did you get them to send you a belt along with your holster?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Heimer,

Have you thought of going with an IWB Kydex holster? You may be able to hide whatever you are carrying a bit easier.

farronwolf,

No, I did not purchase a belt yet. That's still something I'm looking into. For me, it was never much of something I thought was needed until reading up on everything on this site. Also, being that it is somewhat of a fashion choice, I'd really prefer to see them in person. I am curious to see how well a very thick belt blends into dress attire such as slacks and a tucked button up shirt.

Danimal,

Yeah! Check out the Crossbreed holster I just purchased. Cowhide backing for comort with a kydex holster on the front.

Links

Sig P220 .45 caliber"Carry" model with Hogue rubber grips. I live in the Northwest also and with all the rain, the rubber grips are great. It is lighter than the all steel pistols and has never failed to shoot. Very accurate!!!

Holy Smokes! Does Crossbreed Holsters own a time machine?

Their website said it would take approx. 2 weeks to get my holster, and it showed up today at 11:00am, incredible.

Holster looks top-notch. Been wearing it for the past few hours empty to try and break it in a bit. It's very comfortable, even in it's very stiff new state.

Two-thumbs way up to Crossbreed! That's about as good as it gets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links