CC recomendations for the new guy?

This is a discussion on CC recomendations for the new guy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, just joined up today and have been giving the search engine for the site a real workout. I've just applied for my CPL ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC recomendations for the new guy?

CC recomendations for the new guy?

Hey everyone, just joined up today and have been giving the search engine for the site a real workout.

I've just applied for my CPL here in Washington so I should be all set to carry within a few more weeks. That said..

I've been looking to get a good carry piece. By good I mean, 100% reliable, .45cal , SA or SA/DA(not a fan of DAO), extremely concealable, and very lightweight. I already own a Springfield Ultra-Compact 1911, but I find it to still be a bit on the large/heavy side for something I'd want to carry everyday.

I've been shopping around a bit but not really finding anything I can set my mind on. About the only thing I've seen that I can say I "like" is the Taurus Millenium Pro, and the Taurus 24/7 compact, but after reading up on them they seem to get mixed reviews.

Anyhow, was just hoping you guys could make some recomendations for me on guns I should check out. Oh, and if it helps, I'm 6'3" about 230lbs.

Many thanks,

2. Remove Ads

Welcome! I think you'll be hard pressed to find something in .45 that's much smaller and lighter than what you already have. The Kahr P45 might get the job done, but I'm leery to recommend it after my experience with the P9. It was a jam-o-matic even after a trip back to the factory. I will admit that the P45 I fired didn't jam, but I only put about 50 rounds through it, hardly a thorough test.

If you like the Springfield and it's reliable, get a GOOD holster (check out some of the custom makers on this site) along with an equally good belt and try it out for a while. You may find that it doesn't seem so heavy with a good rig and a little time. I'm 2/3 your size and can carry a Commander with minimal discomfort. It will always be there to some degree but practice and quality gear make it better.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I'd have to agree... If you want a .45, that's about as small as you'd get... A nice rig will make all the difference in the world.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

6-3 and 230 pounds finds two pounds too heavy to carry?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    By good I mean, 100% reliable, .45cal , SA or SA/DA(not a fan of DAO), extremely concealable, and very lightweight.
    Welcome to the forum, and I agree it is a good place to find info. You are fortunate in that your size should make it easier to CCW, though you mentioned your 1911 was large/heavy. How/what gear were you using to conceal carry it. I'd suggest trying to change your carry method and find some gear that is more comfortable to you before you buy too many new guns. Also having some extra weight attached to you can be somewhat annoying at first, but you soon get used to it......sort of like wearing glasses for the first time.

Just today I cc a Sig 239 SAS all day long, it's wider than your 1911 and probably heavier and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. In fact I forgot about it. I was wearing cargo pants, tucked in shirt and my 239 was in a belly band at about 4:30.

Good luck
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Small and always goes bang...Mmmmmm...sounds like a candidate for a Glock-36......I like mine!

Stay armed...shop around...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Haha, I didn't say too heavy. Just heavier than I'd prefer.

I was leaning towards something with a polymer frame to shave some weight off and maybe lend itself to an added degree of comfort.

Also, my biggest gripe about my 1911 isn't so much the weight but the grip size, or length. The Millenium Pro I handled seemed to fit the bill nicely. Very compact being a single stack, and fit my hand really well. But like I've said and read.. It's on in the air on whether they're junk or not.

Maybe being a newb I put to much worry on printing. Pretty much any way try to conceal it at home I can see the signs that it's there. Also, my other concern with size and weight was when exercising. My 1911 seems like it would be a bit too much weight being tossed around.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Welcome to the forum, and I agree it is a good place to find info. You are fortunate in that your size should make it easier to CCW, though you mentioned your 1911 was large/heavy. How/what gear were you using to conceal carry it. I'd suggest trying to change your carry method and find some gear that is more comfortable to you before you buy too many new guns. Also having some extra weight attached to you can be somewhat annoying at first, but you soon get used to it......sort of like wearing glasses for the first time.

Just today I cc a Sig 239 SAS all day long, it's wider than your 1911 and probably heavier and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. In fact I forgot about it. I was wearing cargo pants, tucked in shirt and my 239 was in a belly band at about 4:30.

Good luck
    I've never actually carried it concealed, or in any type of concealed holsters. I've only just tried tucking it at different angles and positions to simulate how it would look on my person if I were to CC.

In a way I'm glad you guys are saying I should try sticking with what I have, and just getting the proper gear for it before buying something new, as it is a supurb shooter and I do prefer the SA trigger on it.

Grab a good quality holster and belt. You're underestimating your ability to carry concealed.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

OK, that explains your troubles. I had similar concerns when I tried just sticking it in my waistband, once I had a good holster it disappeared, and as I said I'm literally 2/3 your size and hiding a bigger gun. I have yet to be made, at least to my knowledge, and I've carried quite a bit. Find a nice holster and wear your shirts untucked, you'll be golden. As for a workout gun, you may just have to go with something a little smaller and lighter on caliber. I like J-frame Smith and Wessons.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Get good gear and wear it around the house. Practice cc'ng with what you have before you are "permitted" to and you lose that sense of "newb-ness" with the printing issues...

Oh and Welcome from Kansas!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Would any of you have any recomendations for a good holster? I drive quite a bit so something that is secure and relatively comfortable while driving, and hopping in and out of a car would be great.

Thanks again,

I would recommend the Brommeland Max Con V. If you go to forum sponsors, Coal Creek Armory has them in stock.

As far as your 1911 being hard to conceal, Limatunes comes to mind. She can't weigh over 110 soaking wet(well, she's with child at the moment), but she normally carries a full size 1911 with no problems.

A good holster and a good belt make all the difference in the world. One piece of advice, and its something nobody ever listens to, but here it goes anyway, go with quality the first time around. All of us have a box full of holsters that cost a whole lot more money than what we now carry everyday.

You usually get what you pay for. The lower prices usually come with a lower value.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone.

Would any of you have any recomendations for a good holster? I drive quite a bit so something that is secure and relatively comfortable while driving, and hopping in and out of a car would be great.

Thanks again,
    Why glad you asked...Fist!

See 'Related Links' above...find 'Holsters'...find 'Fist'...
    Great leather holsters, reasonable $$, delivery in 3-5 weeks...quality products.

OMO

Stay armed...quality holsters make the difference...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Colt Defender

I have one gun that meets your specifications for a small, lightweight .45 with SA trigger, and that is my Colt Defender. It is an aluminum frame 1911 with three inch barrel that is smaller than your Springfield Ultra Carry, which has a 3.5 inch barrel. The Defender is 0.90 inches thick in the slide and just over 1.0 inches thick in the grips, using the thin grip panels. Mine has never failed to feed or eject through about 600 rounds with various ammo. I have carried it in a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard holster, and it conceals easily.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links